• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Solar Panels or Wind Generators, who has them on their home?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I live in a state that does NOT give incentives to add "green energy" to my home but I'm thinking of adding a photovoltaic array or wind generator, or both. I've contacted several of the national energy companies and honestly can't get them to show up because my state doesn't give incentives.

I'd be looking for a simple GRID TIE system. I already have a N.G. backup generator for power outages so I don't want to invest in batteries that cost more than a N.G. generator for power outages. GRID TIE systems also have a faster pay-back because the total cost of the system is cheaper, the installation requires fewer electronics, etc.

BUT, I can't find a local area seller or installer. The Illinois installers (where they have big tax credits) don't seem to want to cross the state line to even talk to me, despite the fact that I can literally see Illinois from my porch.

Anyone here offer any advice? Help?

I need an equipment list/detailed parts list. Something simple like an 8kw to 12kw array, possibly a 1 or 2 kw wind generator added. What do I need to mount the panels? If I can get the bits and pieces I'm sure I can find someone to install it. I'm just trying to figure out how to make it all work (TALK TO ME SLOW & LOUD, so even I can understand it). If I can make it pay off in a reasonable time I'll buy it and add it. But nobody will give me real prices because I can't get full lists of things needed.

HELP???

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you will find the reason is that without the incentives, there is no justification in the project.

I live in a state where they have the incentives, but cannot even get an estimate on the house I am building near AVA MO. Seems they have to have a year of power bills to calculate the cost savings. As the property is full electric I had presumed that it would pay off.

I do have solar and wind generation at Hippie ridge. But it is a small system that gave us power from batteries over the weekend for our 32 foot camper. Some hot nights we had to run the generator to stay cool.

I now have 240 watts on the pole. Running a 20 foot camper and a big night light. My bill is less than $45 a month so the solar companies still won't talk to me.

All that said, My son was having them put on his house in Connecticut. The deal was set but he did some checking and found that they paid off in savings around 20 to 22 years. The solar panels life span was 22 to 25 years. So at the end of the day he saved virtually nothing.

Of course that calculated prediction did not take into account a radical Biden administration ramping up utility costs beyond our wildest fears overnight.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you will find the reason is that without the incentives, there is no justification in the project.
Actually it looks like a grid tie system might actually pay off in 8 to 10 years if your utility buys back your excess power at the same rate in which it sells its power. This, of course, assumes that you are mindful of your finance costs, purchase price and installation costs.

If you look at a map, you will find a high correlation between states run by liberals that "give" financial incentives to homeowners to put up solar/wind systems. States run by conservatives tend to be states that do not redistribute wealth from the rental class to the homeowner class of citizens. Literally right across the state line from me there are homes with photovoltaic solar panels facing the north sky, where there is no direct sun. So you can tell in which type of political state I reside.

I'm just looking to offset some of my electric bill and am looking for help/advice.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't looked at solar for over 15 years. At that time, no net metering, and as Franc said it just didn't make economic sense. I could never reach the breakeven point.

Things have changed in Texas since then. I have a friend who just installed a 48-panel solar system. When we talked about it he said that it hasn't been operational long enough to make any definite conclusions but it handled all his electric needs during spring but he's waiting to see how it performs during the summer when the a/c is going full blast. He did mention however that the electric company only pays him about 1/4 for his electricity as they charge to supply it. We're on a local electric co-op so that will vary according to where you live.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck with your project.

My goal was not financial but to be off the grid. I suspect the overall project costs will be considerably less than with some of these cookie cutter programs on which some corporations are making money of our government.

There are DIY solar planning sites. Here is one