• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"Snowzilla": A Comprehensive Tucker 1643 Project...

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
It’s a tough call. I too noticed there should be a better way to attach the hydraulic lines to the angle cylinders.
I ran the Tucker last year like this and had no problems. I watched because the clearance is as good as it gets with few options.
There is the option of drilling and tapping a port at 90 degrees to the current port beside the track. This is not too complicated as the thread is only a common pipe thread. At least that was my idea if I ran into problems. The cylinders are easy to disassemble for this process.
My concern had dissipated somewhat after last year’s run.

IMG_4845.jpeg
IMG_4854.jpeg

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
We took the machine out for initial testing and that is documented in this thread:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I think I previously said something like “The snowcat Gods are punishing us for painting this otherwise great snowcat green”. Well, my opinion hasn’t changed. The Gods are making our lives miserable in trying to replace the craptastic Griffin radiator.

The new radiator arrived and the quality is typical Ron Davis awesomeness. But the fun stops there. We removed the hood to extricate the Griffin radiator, and then went and looked at how we mounted the same radiator in Thundercat. We decided to pretty-much copy what we did, but back then the snowcat Gods thought we were good guys and didn’t but roadblocks in front of us. Now we’ve incurred their wrath, and they are not happy - at all. I tried appealing by saying “But, but, but, it’s The Infamous WBJ1 that made us paint it this hideous and putrid baby shit green color”. That didn’t work as the Gods loudly exclaimed “BUT YOU KNEW BETTER, AND DID IT ANYWAY”!

So we’re paying penance for The Infamous WBJ1’s poor choice of color…. (I wonder what they have in store for him once he takes possession???)

The radiator needs to set below the top of the frame for hood clearance, and we needed to build a shelf for it to sit on, and then brackets on the sides to hold it in position vertically. Tabs needed to be welded to the frame to support the shelf and that meant removing the grille and moving stuff out of the way. The tabs are small pieces of 1/8” steel plate welded to the front cross member and along the sides of the frame for a few inches. The green paint got nuked (much to my delight)! The shelf itself is a piece of 5052 aluminum that we bent into a U-shaped channel. The legs of the U are along the underside and the channel sits on top of the tabs. There are holes drilled and countersunk in the channel and the tabs for 1/4-20 stainless steel countersunk flathead machine screws to secure the channel in position. The top of the channel will have some adhesive rubber sheet attached to protect the bottom of the radiator.

Pic with the hood and front side shields removed and the grille resting on the right track. The new tab for the right side is sitting on top of the frame. Note the winch battery...

IMG_0255.jpeg

But, everything had been permanently installed based on the smaller Griffin radiator and the larger Ron Davis radiator had conflicts with some previously installed components. The transmission cooler needed to be re-plumbed at one end to move a cooler hose lower for clearance with the shelf. A trip to the hydraulic shop for a special fitting led to a compromise. The longer fitting we wanted wasn’t in stock. There was one available in Arlington, TX and another somewhere in Ohio, but when a warehouse says they have one of something, that's a red flag as the quantity is suspect. And there would probably be a 4-5 day delay in getting it, and undoubtedly a hefty shipping charge, too. I went with plan B, which was an extension fitting to move the hose lower. It works, but we prefer using the minimum number of fittings. Of course, changing the fitting dumped transmission fluid all over the place. (The snowcat Gods are smiling “See, geniuses, we have ways of dealing with miscreants”.)

But that was minor compared to the battery mount for the winch battery. Here’s a pic showing the issue. (Snowcat Gods are using The Infamous WBJ1’s MUAHAHAHA laugh.)

IMG_0257.jpeg

Obviously, that wasn’t going to work. We tossed around different options and ultimately decided to cut off the mount and extend the vertical legs. Also the diagonal gusset would be cut off, shortened and re-welded. Then the modified mount would be re-welded to the frame, and still more green paint would be destroyed. The LS engine configuration requires both radiator inlet and outlet be on the right side, and there is a steam port on the radiator below the radiator inlet fitting on top. That determined the maximum height limitation. We finished this up and the next step is fabricating the side braces for the radiator.

Here are pics of the braces we made for Thundercat. That radiator has the inlet on the top left and outlet on the bottom right. We also made a tilting hood for Thundercat and the restraining cables are attached to the braces, The overflow tank is mounted on the right side, and it will be on the left on CHUGSzilla, but you get the general concept.

Right side. (Ignore the Gorilla underneath the machine.)

IMG_0248.jpeg

IMG_0250.jpeg

Of course Scott, still angling for admission into the Green Tucker Mafia, wants to paint all this new stuff baby shit green, and I’m opposed to adding anything else painted that awful color. Stay tuned to see who wins this battle: the poor, suffering BFT, or the Gorilla.

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
Fun. I had to move the 318 engine ahead one inch to fit the 727 automatic, and then make everything else fit. Eventually.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Fun. I had to move the 318 engine ahead one inch to fit the 727 automatic, and then make everything else fit. Eventually.
YDPC,

"Way back when” as part of the 8.1 engine install in Thundercat, we had clearance issues with the cast aluminum oil pan. That necessitated moving the front fifth wheel plate assembly forward two inches, which also required moving the six-way blade's welded support frame forward two inches.

It’s never easy….

DSC01827.JPG

DSC01840.JPG
DSC01847.JPG

DSC01844.JPG

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
YDPC,

"Way back when” as part of the 8.1 engine install in Thundercat, we had clearance issues with the cast aluminum oil pan. That necessitated moving the front fifth wheel plate assembly forward two inches, which also required moving the six-way blade's welded support frame forward two inches.

It’s never easy….

View attachment 175208

View attachment 175211View attachment 175212

View attachment 175213

Good grief!!!
Now I feel lucky to not have ran into those problems!
IMG_1979.jpeg
IMG_1977.jpeg

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
As an update to the “progress” on CHUGSzilla…

I ended my previous post with this:

"Of course Scott, still angling for admission into the Green Tucker Mafia, wants to paint all this new stuff baby shit green, and I’m opposed to adding anything else painted that awful color. Stay tuned to see who wins this battle: the poor, suffering BFT, or the Gorilla.”

Scott and I generally work on projects after hours on Mondays - Thursdays. Yesterday (Monday), I showed up on time and Justin, better known (accurately) as “The Evil Jester”, announced he had just bought more green paint. But not just any “green paint”, he had spray cans made up of paint color-matched to the hideous baby shit green color. Scott had read that last paragraph... and taken it to heart, whereas I was mostly kidding.

I think painting anything that disgusting shade of green is a crime against humanity. He, The Infamous WBJ1, and the other members of the Green Tucker Mafia can celebrate the repulsiveness of this unfortunate Tucker. I’m convinced the Snowcat Gods will extract their revenge from these troublemakers....

The paint:

IMG_0272.jpeg

Look how positively gleeful these criminals look.

IMG_0273.jpeg

We did get the radiator side support configuration sorted out. We still need to make some gussets for strength, and then it all has to be welded. The components will then need some attention from BFT to make them cosmetically presentable, although what’s the point if they’re going to be that ugly green color?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
are the seats being redone in ORANGE ?

those two are EVIL !
Those two are very definitely EVIL! They're bad enough individually, but put them together and they feed off one another... and NEVER in a good way.

The fabric for the rear seats was purchased months ago and it's... black. The color matches the new black seats The Infamous WBJ1 bought.

As an update on the radiator upgrade progress, here's a pic of the new radiator sides supports and shelf in all their green putridity.

IMG_0274.jpeg

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
When I moved the radiator ahead I had to sort out issues with hood clearance and reworking the hood retention cable became too long.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
After finishing the radiator upgrade and adjusting the transmission valve body, we took CHUGSzilla out for more testing. As we did that in conjunction with the 1544, I started a new thread.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Work on CHUGSzilla's rear upholstery has been going on simultaneously….

Tucker used a single piece of black, canvas-like, fabric stretched over foam cushions and stapled to the plywood backing. It works, but it’s unimaginative, and essentially the cheapest possible way to go. Hmmm. I’m shocked….

We’ve put a lot of work into this project (way, way too much, actually) and though there is a strong temptation to hurry and get it done, We're trying hard to resist that very strong urge. Surprisingly, The Infamous WBJ1 ponied up the bucks for some nice Corbeau front seats and we wanted something complimentary in the back. One can purchase matching fabric from Corbeau, but they know they have you over a barrel, and they charge exorbitantly (I should have capitalized exorbitantly). We chose a UV, water and mildew resistant fabric with some texture, and it looks somewhat like the Corbeau fabric, at about 15% of the cost. Mrs. Blackfoot is seriously talented when it comes to sewing, quilting, knitting, etc and I kind-of roped her into the project (she might use a different word, like “commandeered”).

Way early in the process of modifying this Tucker we cut out the goofy, factory-installed bulkhead that divides the cab and serves as a roll bar. We replaced that with a new roll bar that hugs the sidewalls and the roof. We added some bracing to give the roll bar more strength. The roll bar and braces are made from 2” square tube, and it made sense to make some cushions for the back of those braces. The two cushions have a trapezoid shape. Scott and I cut some pieces of 1/2” plywood to match the bracing, and those are the backing for the cushions. I sourced some 3” foam from Home Depot and pieces were cut to match the shape of the plywood. At this point you may be thinking, “Yo BFT, that’s no different than Tucker would have done”, and you’re right….

Except, we covered the front and all sides of the foam with 1 1/2” polyester batting that's glued to the foam. The batting adds fullness to the cushions, and improves the look and function. But, we didn’t stop there. Mrs. Blackfoot basically made covers for the foam to exactly match the shape. Rather than a single piece of fabric that’s pulled over the foam and then stapled, a'la Tucker, she cut separate pieces of fabric for the front, top, bottom and two sides. All five pieces of fabric are sewn together to make the cover, but that’s still not the whole story….

The seams are French seams, and they’re a lot more labor intensive. (Interestingly, French seams as used in upholstery are completely different than those used in clothing, though they have the same name.) She used the upholstery version, and it makes the seam a lot stronger because on the inside of the fabric there’s a piece of 1” wide gros grain ribbon (pronounced “grow grain”) that is attached with adhesive basting tape to the seam. That is then top stitched on both sides of the center seam. This adds a lot of strength, and it looks nice, too. We could have chosen a contrasting color thread, and Scott, representing The Green Tucker Mafia, of course suggested green thread. But, I'M DONE WITH GREEN! The front seats also have this type of stitching, and Corbeau used black thread, so we went with that. It’s a lot of detail that most people won’t even notice, let alone appreciate.

For the rear seat bottom cushions we decided to go another step further. We glued 2" memory foam to the regular 3” foam to add extra comfort for the rear passengers. We’re hoping the addition of the memory foam is a nice upgrade. The thought was “If you have to ride with The Infamous WBJ1, you should at least be comfortable"….

Pics. The rear upholstery installed.

IMG_0315.jpeg

A close-up of a corner seam per Mrs Blackfoot. Her precision is incredible!

IMG_0316.jpeg

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I knew she could do that I would have skipped buying boat seats and packed a couple extra bottles of Woodford out to SV!

On a side note that I just noticed, no rear foot warmer heater?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
If I knew she could do that I would have skipped buying boat seats and packed a couple extra bottles of Woodford out to SV!

On a side note that I just noticed, no rear foot warmer heater?
DaveNet,

When I said she was “seriously talented”, I wasn't kidding. She has made some absolutely stunning quilts that take incredible precision. She’s currently hand knitting a Fair Isle sweater that is extremely complex in terms of the pattern, and the multiple colors of yarn involved.

I think the Woodford Reserve would have been sufficient motivation. That is perhaps her favorite bourbon.

Incidentally, while there is no rear foot warmer/heater, if you look under the lower right corner of the trapezoid shaped cushion on the left you’ll see a small black rectangle. That’s actually a dual electrical port with two USB outlets on the left and a cigarette lighter/socket on the right. The Infamous WBJ1 could plug in some type of low amperage heater... if he desires.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
We took CHUGSzilla and Thundercat out on Sunday for more testing. New thread here: