• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac Tire Replacement

ROGI

Howdy, Can I get a firm thumbs up or thumbs down on using the Goodyear 4.5 x 16 tire and tube for my 16" rear wheel? 1977 ST-4. Thanks, gotta get my rig retrieved! Glad to discuss all options, but need to get rolling again its winter!!!!

IMG_4940.JPG
Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 13-49-34 4 50-16 pneumatic tire for Bombardier Snow Coach etc .png

PJL

Welcome aboard Rogi. That's a very nice looking Snow-Trac. Someone will know the answer.

ROGI

I am looking at that Goodyear tire, but have to wait for shipping...., or perhaps a tubed up motorcycle tire available for pick up?
size: 115/100R16
Anyone have opinions? SNOW IS FALLING aaaaaagggghhhh :)

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Howdy, Can I get a firm thumbs up or thumbs down on using the Goodyear 4.5 x 16 tire and tube for my 16" rear wheel? 1977 ST-4. Thanks, gotta get my rig retrieved! Glad to discuss all options, but need to get rolling again its winter!!!!
That's the tires I use. they have done a great job for me. The shape works real well in the guides. You must get a offset valve on the tube. while the centered valve can work, it will cause the tube to twist which can cause failure. Note also you must have the tire warm to mount it. like 80 degrees F warm.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I am looking at that Goodyear tire, but have to wait for shipping...., or perhaps a tubed up motorcycle tire available for pick up?
size: 115/100R16
Anyone have opinions? SNOW IS FALLING aaaaaagggghhhh :)
when I got my trac two of the tires were dunlop 130/90-16 front motorcycle they held up. the other two were knobby dirt bike treads which caught the guides.

J5 Bombardier

The "holy grail" tire , Goodyear 4.50-16 are great tires, unfortunately these tires are an insane price last time I checked, if available. Alpine Guide (posted above ) are a reasonable price, grooved face , but I would like to try them some time and their tubes.
Welcome aboard ! J5 Bombardier

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
The "holy grail" tire , Goodyear 4.50-16 are great tires, unfortunately these tires are an insane price last time I checked, if available. Alpine Guide (posted above ) are a reasonable price, grooved face , but I would like to try them some time and their tubes.
Welcome aboard ! J5 Bombardier
And a contrary point of view. Since mounting the goodyear tires, I've not had any issues with detracking which I had in the past. So are they any more insane than any other snow cat item that is the right thing and works correctly? Yes I cringe at the price I paid for the 5 tires I got. But knowing they work is worth it for me.

J5 Bombardier

Any new tires I have bought in the last 10 years were Goodyears ,can't remember seeing another brand other than the Alpines listed.
A heavy wall Goodyear will definitely keep a track on compared to some running , doughnut or bike tires. The last 5 new goodyears l have can stay on the shelf for now ,can't bear to use them ! I've been using solids instead .
J5 Bombardier

ROGI

Motorcycle tire running great so far. Got the side stem tube.
Need a scraper now, I will build and post a photo. Also need snow chutes I guess, looking for advice on that.
A picture tells a thousand stories:
when I got my trac two of the tires were dunlop 130/90-16 front motorcycle they held up. the other two were knobby dirt bike treads which caught the guides.

Attachments

• F2D5CAAD-28B3-4CAB-9C6F-C8BFD4D322EC.jpeg
    F2D5CAAD-28B3-4CAB-9C6F-C8BFD4D322EC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 126
  • B33A6DA2-1851-4800-9046-6033BD8F47CB.jpeg
    B33A6DA2-1851-4800-9046-6033BD8F47CB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 113

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
On the chutes, I found that some plant nursery have sheet HDPE fairly reasonably. They use it to contain root systems from invasive plants to limit spread.

georgeofdesert

GOLD Site Supporter
Motorcycle tire running great so far. Got the side stem tube.
Need a scraper now, I will build and post a photo. Also need snow chutes I guess, looking for advice on that.
A picture tells a thousand stories:
ROGI:
Would you describe snow/weather conditions on that ice buildup?
Thanks.

ROGI

ROGI:
Would you describe snow/weather conditions on that ice buildup?
Thanks.
Snow was about 8" deep fresh, on top of 18" hard pack. The new snow I was riding on was what I would call PERFECT SNOWBALL/SNOWMAN snow. It was wet, heavy, and temps were about 20 degrees. It built up to that amount in about a 1/4 mile. had to chip away at it constantly. The rubber on the "de-icer spacer ring" delaminated off, which revealed raw cold metal, the perfect place to squish wet snow onto, and glue in place. Quite ugly. I have used spacers coming with old rubber - get me going. I will attempt also to clean up mine, and lay new surface on them with perhaps a 5200 type silicone, in a form.

georgeofdesert

GOLD Site Supporter
Snow was about 8" deep fresh, on top of 18" hard pack. The new snow I was riding on was what I would call PERFECT SNOWBALL/SNOWMAN snow. It was wet, heavy, and temps were about 20 degrees. It built up to that amount in about a 1/4 mile. had to chip away at it constantly. The rubber on the "de-icer spacer ring" delaminated off, which revealed raw cold metal, the perfect place to squish wet snow onto, and glue in place. Quite ugly. I have used spacers coming with old rubber - get me going. I will attempt also to clean up mine, and lay new surface on them with perhaps a 5200 type silicone, in a form.
Wow, good thing you caught that.
btw I tried a hardware store quality caulk and it shrank too much. Epoxyed a piece of yoga mat thinking if it unbonded it was weak enough to shred.. got about 10 mi. on it, still seems ok.

ROGI

Wow, good thing you caught that.
btw I tried a hardware store quality caulk and it shrank too much. Epoxyed a piece of yoga mat thinking if it unbonded it was weak enough to shred.. got about 10 mi. on it, still seems ok.
Good to know. I have most of the pieces of rubber, which I may try rebonding with 5200, and filling the gaps also. I have used replacements coming and they will go in first.

nwerring

Anyone know if the company «Alpine Guide« are still in business? I’m trying to buy the 4.50-16 tire, but I can’t find thier web page any more…