• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac big wheel ST 53 Axle repairs

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
My cream puff ST4 came with a few surprises funny what you find when you drop the belly pan

busted ST 53 axle housing and not a stocked item as one would guess

But this is what we do and Stamp collecting hurts my eyes…..

SOOOOOOOOO in my Vegan shop where no dinosaurs were harmed in providing for my personal comfort and at a warm 10 deg pop the bitch apart..

when I have to do this for work I bitch like hell but on the weekend I call it fun ….

So the RT (damaged ) side came apart with no issues more or less except it was 10 deg..

WHO’s bitching at least it was not in the negative #

Left side not so much the support pin (ST3075) took some persuading..

But with the help of my new best friend Mr porta power and a 3/8 center drilled hole and 8 tons I wrestled it free. Christmas in November…..!

And guess how has 2 spare housing and friends who have spare housing but not for a big wheel

ME!

So off to the Machines shop we go and I do have a friend with a lathe big enough to swing the assembled housing so the adventure continues.

We going to repair this housing but going to fabricate a fixture to reproduce replacement out of steel

So we can do some real damage the next time I hit a stump….

More to come…

Attachments

• st53 resized a.jpg
    st53 resized a.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 165
  • st53 resized b.jpg
    st53 resized b.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 149
  • st53 resized c.jpg
    st53 resized c.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 149
  • puller.jpg
    puller.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 156
  • vegan shop.jpg
    vegan shop.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 163
  • bystanders.jpg
    bystanders.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 170

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
I am going to feed em punkins looded with aluminum cans with the off chance they can shi... me a st 53 axle...
but other than that they are just company... keeps the freeloaders at bay
did have one a couple of years ago that liked to watch tv with us from time to time though

nwerring

My cream puff ST4 came with a few surprises funny what you find when you drop the belly pan

busted ST 53 axle housing and not a stocked item as one would guess

But this is what we do and Stamp collecting hurts my eyes…..

SOOOOOOOOO in my Vegan shop where no dinosaurs were harmed in providing for my personal comfort and at a warm 10 deg pop the bitch apart..

when I have to do this for work I bitch like hell but on the weekend I call it fun ….

So the RT (damaged ) side came apart with no issues more or less except it was 10 deg..

WHO’s bitching at least it was not in the negative #

Left side not so much the support pin (ST3075) took some persuading..

But with the help of my new best friend Mr porta power and a 3/8 center drilled hole and 8 tons I wrestled it free. Christmas in November…..!

And guess how has 2 spare housing and friends who have spare housing but not for a big wheel

ME!

So off to the Machines shop we go and I do have a friend with a lathe big enough to swing the assembled housing so the adventure continues.

We going to repair this housing but going to fabricate a fixture to reproduce replacement out of steel

So we can do some real damage the next time I hit a stump….

More to come…
I have several new ones if you still need it... $300 + shipping from Norway.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Now you tell me..... I just bought the steel to make the new ones......:(

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
took a bit but this summer we fab up 2 ST 53s so far the only issue so far discovered was the ears for the chain adjuster rod could have been about 1/2 inch further out. as the old axle were slightly relived to allow full travel
i just slightly enlarged the hole and drilled it out for 1/2 inch instead of the 12MM bolt used as shipped

Attachments

• fabracated st53 installed.jpg
    fabracated st53 installed.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 84
  • fabracated st53.jpg
    fabracated st53.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 85
  • old axl.jpg
    old axl.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 86
  • fabracated st53 installed b.jpg
    fabracated st53 installed b.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 85

Puckle

SUPER Site Supporter
Seems quite common on these - especially on the 3 band which are not so well supported, probably better in steel.
Nice job.