• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sno(-)(w)cat owners association

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
It would sure be nice if we could all join a snowcat private owners association (or include commercial)....

All of the snowcat meets and events, maps, members, dealers, by-laws, legislation, insurance access, know local/state/federal requirements, manuals, and more could all be linked on the website. Maybe Doc could set up a nice something something? Who’s getting it going? Not it!

Also hats t-shirts hoodies

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
It would sure be nice if we could all join a snowcat private owners association (or include commercial)....

All of the snowcat meets and events, maps, members, dealers, by-laws, legislation, insurance access, know local/state/federal requirements, manuals, and more could all be linked on the website. Maybe Doc could set up a nice something something? Who’s getting it going? Not it!

Also hats t-shirts hoodies

great if it could happen,

first, the word cat, describes best, each and every sno(w) cat owner, just as the living and breathing cats, that are, very well know to be independent and the fossil fuel cat owners are no different, all good people and well intentioned

this is a fairly large project to get even the most basic level of organized much less fully functioning and effective.

IMHO, this should be done by the manufactures and business that operate either as a dealers or provider of services to the public, to form a professional business group/organization.

as for the private owner, pretty much, there are, ad hoc regional groups in place and the forums provide the resources to stay in touch with others, yes, there is facebook and others, but the forums are dedicated to snow cats and owners

truth is, if the snow cat businesses don't take up the effort, it will take a single individual to give of their valuable time and money to make this happen, and most importantly, the snow cat community will need to buy in and support their efforts...a huge undertaking

I believe there is just too few owners to ever make such an organization effect, maybe, if such efforts are to be successful, should look at joining up with either several smaller like minded or a larger group, remember, there is safety in numbers

Last edited:

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
As long as the snowmobilers are opposed to snowcats it's kind of a tough situation for the snowcat businesses to get involved. Would guess a significant portion of their business is groomers. Perhaps if there were a major threat from a common foe.

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Snowcat owners association

great if it could happen,

first, the word cat, describes best, each and every sno(w) cat owner, just as the living and breathing cats, that are, very well know to be independent and the fossil fuel cat owners are no different, all good people and well intentioned

this is a fairly large project to get even the most basic level of organized much less fully functioning and effective.

IMHO, this should be done by the manufactures and business that operate either as a dealers or provider of services to the public, to form a professional business group/organization.

as for the private owner, pretty much, there are, ad hoc regional groups in place and the forums provide the resources to stay in touch with others, yes, there is facebook and others, but the forums are dedicated to snow cats and owners

truth is, if the snow cat businesses don't take up the effort, it will take a single individual to give of their valuable time and money to make this happen, and most importantly, the snow cat community will need to buy in and support their efforts...a huge undertaking

I believe there is just too few owners to ever make such an organization effect, maybe, if such efforts are to be successful, should look at joining up with either several smaller like minded or a larger group, remember, there is safety in numbers

That all makes sense

Maybe the community is much smaller than I had imagined. Don’t most people have snowcats??

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I dunno, maybe a thousand machines, and probably 10% of the owners own the majority of them.
I suppose it could just as easily be a few hundred

Any guesses?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I dunno, maybe a thousand machines, and probably 10% of the owners own the majority of them.

Any guesses?

that is a very reasonable number, thus, the snow cat community is a small one, with little, to no influence when it comes rules and regs that are made without our input,

the personal relationships we make as a owners, is very important, like the one jimmy vt has with the sheriff, and are truly important, the rogue snow catter, does more harm than anyone realize

we always need to leave a good to very good impression with all we meet on the snow, ready to help, please and thank you goes a very long way.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
joining a snowmobile club ,volunteering for search and rescue ,volunteer with the forest service are some that get you on trails .
I work with an amateur radio group. it is easy now to become a ham radio person. most towers have radio gear that need checking in the winter.
getting a group together like we have been doing is one step closer to the forest service recognizing us as a user group.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bernie and Liz are working to give free sno(w) cats to everybody here in the east. Universal Healthcats! That should help the numbers.

Few of you have too many and need to to be broken up for we the people!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Any guesses?

I think you might want to consider the fluid nature of ownership.

some folks may have owned a machine and others have always intended to get one.

so if you suggest 1000 active owners, I would be willing to bet the are 333 former owners and 333 future owners that would be interested in participation.

Here in the midwest snow cat ownership is wide spread but definitely in the closet so to say.

I am guessing the over all interested parties to be somewhat higher

alryA

Snowcats, or rather its a width thing are banded on some sled trails found here in the UP of MI. But if the trail is basically 14ft wide*, its kind of tough to have a 10 or 14ft wide snowcat coming down it. Many sleds like to go 70+ mph on them, legal or not. Yes the grooming machines are PB's, of serious width. But who'd loose then they meet? I know when I ferried UTV's with pods to the dealership, someone told me I was wider than what was leagal on that particular trail, which was indeed rather narrow. I kept class II strobes on the machine roof and they definitely could seen by those sled operators.

Nonetheless, if you guys would like some political strength, you do indeed need a club to have that.

*not a sledder, and don't keep up on the trail laws here.

Last edited: