• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SNO-TRAC. AN ITERATION OF ACTIV SNOW

nikos

TFT- Sno Trac, LLC was formed April 2013 to develop and manufacture a new version of Snow Trac utilizing modern components and newer manufacturing processes. The result is “Sno Trac”: Utilizing an emissions compliant Kubota diesel engine, a hydrostatic drive and a single joystick operating control. Far easier to operate than Snow Trac, there are no brake, clutch or throttle pedals - operating Sno Trac is a simple matter of starting the engine and utilizing the joystick to control speed, forward, reverse, turn, and breaking functions. TFT - Sno Trac performs as Aktiv Snow Trac.

Nikos.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that is some thing to wake up to!
Rather cool to see, a new Snow trac machine that retains the look of the original!

I hope they are able to sell them, and stay around for a long while. I was unable to find pricing on the site.
Maybe soon they will have pricing nailed down.

rdynes01

TFT- Sno Trac, LLC was formed April 2013 to develop and manufacture a new version of Snow Trac utilizing modern components and newer manufacturing processes. The result is “Sno Trac”: Utilizing an emissions compliant Kubota diesel engine, a hydrostatic drive and a single joystick operating control. Far easier to operate than Snow Trac, there are no brake, clutch or throttle pedals - operating Sno Trac is a simple matter of starting the engine and utilizing the joystick to control speed, forward, reverse, turn, and breaking functions. TFT - Sno Trac performs as Aktiv Snow Trac.

Nikos.
Eight years and this is as far as they've gotten? " Contact us for special pricing " usually scares me because the prices will scare everybody or they don't build one until you have paid in full for one. Like the guy who builds the replacement for the Cushman Trackster.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
After a good look, I think the bogie wheels and rims look small and fragile compared with the original machine.
Springs look good though. The 6 bolt rear hub suggests a plenty beefy real axle and wheel rim.
Also for a new machine, a standard sky lite window in the roof would be a great addition.
In the end it is all about price, and price is all about volume.
I hope they sell enough of these to scale production, and price them at $30K or under. My guess is that today they might be twice that or more...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was surprised by the fact they are using the small wheel design instead of using a big grin wheel.

Too bad there are no interior photos showing the steering joystick.

With the choice of a Diesel engine I’m assuming the fuel is located inside the cabin. Still, if parked for a while, diesel can freeze and needs treatment in colder climates.

rdynes01

I was surprised by the fact they are using the small wheel design instead of using a big grin wheel.

Too bad there are no interior photos showing the steering joystick.

With the choice of a Diesel engine I’m assuming the fuel is located inside the cabin. Still, if parked for a while, diesel can freeze and needs treatment in colder climates.
I think this website is more of a market research tool to gauge interest than a site to sell snowcats. Eight years and all they offer is a few photos of a skeleton model and nothing near a finished model. Where is the progress photos showing R&D, interior,powertrain etc. They began in 2013 and this is the first anyone has heard about them??? Color me skeptical.....Bob

Puckle

SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting they have copied two band design with small bogeys, not later 3 band with large front wheel - wonder if we can use any parts such as grousers/wheel guides/tyres etc on our original machines?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting they have copied two band design with small bogeys, not later 3 band with large front wheel - wonder if we can use any parts such as grousers/wheel guides/tyres etc on our original machines?
I wondered this too. Perhaps they will be able to supply some spare parts?

I am hopeful they pull this off and get real (even if limited) production rolling. The world can still use these vehicles, even it is a niche market. So very best of luck to them but it certainly would be nice to see a lot more details in their photos and some base price information.

Last edited:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not impressed. Hydro drive means there is going to be a significant hp loss to heat compared to our old mechanical drives. The youtube shows a little of the center mounted joy stick. it also shows less than smooth steering compared to the original. While the shape is similar, so was the fiberglass bodies you could buy for your beetle to make it look like a sports car.

but, I wish them luck in making it to production, vs prototype.

georgeofdesert

GOLD Site Supporter
2 steps backward. If they updated the drivetrain with any engine transaxle on the market today and re-engineered the variator with modern materials it would be amazing. Use their creativity on the drivers seat. They are throwing away the best features of the Sno Trac.