• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sno cat build

lifeofwelding

This is my first post
My name is Chris, I am highly interested in scratch building a pisten bully 100 130.
I am mainly looking for information on hydraulics as I don’t know much about the subject.
I am interested in using a Honda 4cyl, turbocharged to get the low end torque for the hydraulics.
My main question is hydraulic pumps? Do I buy a small excavator pump? From what I have read is that some have an inline triple pump, two main for drives and the auxiliary for my blade setup….
Ps I’m 25 years fabricator welder, so this whole build excites me but the hydraulic intimidate me slightly.
Thanks for your time.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi, Welcome.
I would suggest the following books. You might find these elsewhere cheaper.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Fluid power is a big trade-off. it becomes easier to regulate flows but at the expense of efficiency. Some systems lose as much as 30% in heat. Some pump systems utilize a constant RPM with a variable intake valve to achieve dynamic energy control. Others use a fixed displacement pump/ rpm with a relief valve system. Both have merits, both have debits on the system design. Its much like the design between turbochargers vs superchargers. I'd search existing systems that do what you want and use that as starting point.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did he ever get going on this project?

My $.02 is buy a skidsteer and repurpose the parts