• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Small, Inexpensive Electric Motorcycle ... 80mph + 80 mile range

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I might want one of these?

A 200 pound electric motorcycle that goes 80mph with a (claimed) range of 80 miles (probably more likely 50 to 60 in real world use) seems like it could be a lot of fun for short runs, as a short range commuter bike. Premium components like Michelin Road 5 tires, wireless phone charger and a removable battery.

But the price is a bit steep at $5000 for a short range bike, at that price I could get a Honda CB300 and still have change rattling around in my pocket.

On the other hand the Harley Davidson LIVEWIRE costs nearly $30,000. The motorcycles from ZERO, probably the best known electric motorcycle company on the planet, start about $10,000 and go up from there. The LIVEWIRE and the offerings from ZERO have longer ranges, and probably more capabilities, but are still hampered by their batteries and the real world ranges for those bikes are in the 100-120 mile range. So for the $5000 price tag of this little bike, it actually seems like a pretty good deal compared to the other electric competitors. Spend DOUBLE the price to get a ZERO that has double the range but does not have double the speed or double the acceleration. Spend 6 times the price and get the H-D Livewire with the ability to go 2.4 times the distance? Sure the bigger bikes are more capable but are they actually much more useful in the "commuter" bike market?

Still, it seems like it would be a heck of a lot of fun, maybe more fun if they put an offroad suspension on it and some tires suitable for dirt & street.

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 9.45.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 9.45.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 9.30.20 PM.png

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
One wonders, what would be the cost benefit? How long would one have to drive this gadget to break even on the Honda CB300?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for electrics. But they have to honestly compete with gas fueled models. Once they actually do, perhaps the gubmit will stop subsidizing them, stop taking tax dollars to do so, and let gasoline powered units compete on a level field to stay viable.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry but feeling a sewing machine between my legs for a whopping 120 miles just can't compete with the sound and rumble of a v twin cruising down the highway. That electric bike might appeal to more of a sports bike rider. To me it looks rather uncomfortable with about a quarter inch of padding and no backrest support on the seat. I'm sure it'll appeal to the younger ultra modern city slickers trying to make a statement.

The biggest issue I have with most electric vehicles is the range and charging time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry but feeling a sewing machine between my legs for a whopping 120 miles just can't compete with the sound and rumble of a v twin cruising down the highway. That electric bike might appeal to more of a sports bike rider. To me it looks rather uncomfortable with about a quarter inch of padding and no backrest support on the seat. I'm sure it'll appeal to the younger ultra modern city slickers trying to make a statement.

The biggest issue I have with most electric vehicles is the range and charging time.
Well I've never been a V Twin guy, no need to have it rumble down beneath me. Last HD I rode threw off so much heat it was nearly unbearable.

On the other hand, I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT with you on the limitations of the electric vehicle range/charging time. For a commuter motorcycle, that runs you to your office from home, or other SHORT trips, an electric seems like a convenient choice. No need to ever go to a gas station, just drive it from where you are to where you need to go in the city. Plenty of range to do that type of thing.

Honestly to me this bike looks like a fun toy that might be a glimpse of the future of transportation.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One wonders, what would be the cost benefit? How long would one have to drive this gadget to break even on the Honda CB300?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for electrics. But they have to honestly compete with gas fueled models. Once they actually do, perhaps the gubmit will stop subsidizing them, stop taking tax dollars to do so, and let gasoline powered units compete on a level field to stay viable.
Well it would, to my mind, actually could break even with a little Honda after a few years. CycleTrade has new-old-stock CB300F models for about $4500. So $500 lower in price than this Sonodorsx Meta Cycle.

Assuming you fill up 3 gallons at a time, and get 60mpg, you spend $9 per fill up and travel 180 miles per fill up. A city bike may get 1500 miles per year of use? Make it 1800 just for simple math. That is 10 fill ups of the gas tank. Or $90 worth of gas. At 600 miles on a Honda you go in for the first service. That is going to cost $250. So the first year you spend $90 for fuel + $250 for service which eats up $340 of the $500 price advantage. Year two and the Honda has eaten $430 of gas & service. Year 3 and the Sonodorsx actually breaks even.

Not sure that this little motorcycle actually qualifies for an alternative fuel tax credit? If it does then that could be a game changer in the cost/benefit analysis. Even with just a $1000 tax credit on this bike, if it were to exist, that makes it cheaper than the 200 to 300cc Japanese motorcycles from Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc.