• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Slavery Reparations Commission

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
⬇️
The legislation would establish a commission to examine slavery and discrimination in the United States from 1619 to the present. The commission would then recommend ways to educate Americans about its findings and appropriate remedies, including how the government would offer a formal apology and what form of compensation should be awarded.

I do not get this AT ALL.

Roofgardener

"...The commission would then recommend ways to educate Americans about its findings and appropriate remedies, including how the government would offer a formal apology and what form of compensation should be awarded..."

Compensation to who ?
I know.. ask the entire African-American population if they would like to go back to Africa. Those who DO can be offered compensation.

Somehow, I don't think there will be many - if any - takers ?

Roofgardener

My Grandparents are from Sicily. African pirates invaded Sicily a lot 500 years ago, pillaged, murdered and took slaves.
(Sarcastically) I want reparations.
I don't think they where Africa, per se. I think you'll find they where Muslims, originally from Saudi Arabia ?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The legislation would establish a commission to examine slavery and discrimination in the United States from 1619 to the present.

I'm puzzled by this statement. The United States of America has only existed since 1789. It abolished the seven thousand year old practice of slavery within 60 years of it's birth. Literally freeing millions from chains.
Quite an accomplishment.

And yet they want more?

Who are the "they's"? No one today is less than 6 generations from those who's chains were removed by a REPUBLICAN President, a USA Military force, and the blood of thousands.

Adding insult to injury, it s the party of JIM CROW and Segregation that is demanding more.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Of course Sheila Jackson Lee is a big supporter of this.
Stating that she wants people to understand the violence that THEY endured.

---------

“Here we are today, marking up for the first time in the history of the United States of America any legislation that deals directly with the years and centuries of slavery of African American people who are now the descendants of those Africans,” Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas), the bill’s new sponsor since Conyers’ retirement in 2017, said Wednesday. “We’re asking for people to understand the pain, the violence, the brutality, the chattel-ness of what we went through.”

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
If any of these people had ever been to West Africa they'd know right away that slavery was probably the best thing that ever happened to American blacks. It got them out of those shithole countries and over here where they can bitch and whine to their hearts content.

The idea of the noble black man living free and in peace to wander the Continent of Africa is pure bullshit. I wish some of these people could read well enough to educate themselves with the facts.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
If any of these people had ever been to West Africa they'd know right away that slavery was probably the best thing that ever happened to American blacks. It got them out of those shithole countries and over here where they can bitch and whine to their hearts content.

The idea of the noble black man living free and in peace to wander the Continent of Africa is pure bullshit. I wish some of these people could read well enough to educate themselves with the facts.
Back in the Zenith days of North American slavery, the only Black men and women "wandering freely" in Africa were the slave traders who captured and sold slaves from the local population. Arab mostly. And that would be the people from whom reparations should be demanded.

However, they too are long dead.

Slavery, as practiced for millennia's was accepted because virtually all people, in any nation or kingdom, was in effect a slave to the king or the government. It was quite literally, a tiered system where the royalty, tier one, owned everything. Tier two, you and all your possessions were subject property to the king and that included your slaves wo were tier three.

The concept of a nation of Freemen was rare. Although not the first attempt, the USA is likely the best example. Certainly the longest lasting one. The problem was, at the time of our founding, slavery was still acceptable despite it's obvious dichotomy with individual liberty. Resolution took generations, treasure and blood.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

My guess is there would be no buildings with anything but a ground floor, and that would be with a dirt floor. Were is anything in African history that exists today that was built hundreds of years ago? A simple stair case leading to a second story might not have ever existed until the white man came.
Blacks have no idea of how fortunate they are to be here in this nation.
I wish some one could total up all the money already spent on the Blacks who live here in our nation. Seems to me we need to deduct that from any reoperations they ask for.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My guess is there would be no buildings with anything but a ground floor, and that would be with a dirt floor. Were is anything in African history that exists today that was built hundreds of years ago? A simple stair case leading to a second story might not have ever existed until the white man came.
I wish some one could total up all the money already spent on the Blacks who live here in our nation. Seems to me we need to deduct that from any reoperations they ask for.
My guess it that none of that really matters to the case for individual freedom. Lucky they were ripped from their homes in Africa,,, I don't consider that a very sound argument or defense. The fact is people were conquered as sold into slavery, as a matter of the human condition, during those ancient times as an acceptable economic practice.

Neither the Romans, the Greeks, the Spanish, the Portuguese or the Egyptians are being asked to pay for it today.

So why must Americans????

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A good point. And how much has all that money helped them?????

It is not our government's obligation to generally provide welfare. In fact, the very act of providing welfare debases human dignity, robs of those who do produce and alters the use of funds which would better serve every American if spent for the benefit of all Americans

Roofgardener

Well, lets not panic. AS I understand it, the bill merely creates an investigative commission. If formed, that commission will present its findings. And THEN we can meaningfully discuss what - if anything - is to be done ?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
They should seek the reparations from the UK after all they were the ones doing the capturing, transporting and selling of the slaves all over the world. Why should the end user be left holding the bag while the dealer walks free?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, lets not panic. AS I understand it, the bill merely creates an investigative commission. If formed, that commission will present its findings. And THEN we can meaningfully discuss what - if anything - is to be done ?
So you suggest we waste $20,000,000 in the hope of findings that people who never owned slaves must fork over earnings to people who never were slaves. Of Course I am assuming this commission will have some sense and come to an understanding that the entire concept of reparations is false.

They won't.

Th same party that demands reparations for slavery, supported slavery and then segregation, JIM CROW and racism for most of our nation's history.

Equivocation, pontification and ambiguity will flesh out the final report and the question will remain unsolved. At the end of the day, those nasty slave owners from 1619 to 1863 will never pay a dime.

Roofgardener

They should seek the reparations from the UK after all they were the ones doing the capturing, transporting and selling of the slaves all over the world. Why should the end user be left holding the bag while the dealer walks free?
Very true !

Moreover, only about 600,000 slaves where transported to America; half before the USA came into being. The rest (over 11 million) went to Brazil and the Caribbean, under British, Portuguese and Dutch rule.

For that matter, why aren't we going after the Muslim nations ? They transported between 10 and 15 million Africans as slaves into the Middle East. And they only outlawed slavery in the 1950's !

Oh..whilst we're at it.. about 2.4 Million black people (at least) in the USA need to be discounted, as they are recent immigrants from Africa into the USA.

Last edited:

CrakHoBarbie

I can't agree with reparations for a couple simple reasons. First, we cannot and should not ever make the child response for the sins of the Father. And, it's a massive slippery slope. Logically, where would it end?.... Logically, it wouldn't.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
As a person of mixed colour I have issues with reparations. My Cherokee ancestors lost their freedom and were forcibly removed from their land not once but twice. What is the difference between a 15th generation Native American tribe, of which there were hundreds, and a 15th generation African Black? Why do they get preference here.

Most of the systematic racism in this country was founded and perpetuated by the Democratic party. It was made illegalinthe 1950's and 1960's. Virtually erased from our lexicon and our society until ,,,,,;about 2010. anyone remember who walked into the Oval Office then? '

BTW,,,;As for voting rights, the American Indian couldn't vote in most cases until 1954.

Secondly, I have three sets of neighbors who are mixed race families Black and White. Do their kids get half payments? How do we work out the percentages of ethnic and racial purity? Skin color? Birth certificates? The truth is, even if we were to somehow come to a consensus on what would be a fair "settlement," how would we portion it out to all the mixed race people in our population stew.

As for the Commission itself, what is it's mandate with regard to these questions. Or has the government of the people already decided there will be payment s and the commission will determine how and what to pay whom?

We already have a body that supposedly represents the people. Haven't they rejected this concept for over 170 years? Is that why we need a "Commission " to over ride the will of the people?