• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Shipping/import snowcat to US

Ak_muskeg

Good day all,

I was looking into purchasing a cat with a spare for parts in Canada. Due to the current state of the world and borders closed. Has anyone had experience importing a snowcat into the US from Canada using a commercial carrier for transport? How big of a mess is it to import?

Don

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Good day all,

I was looking into purchasing a cat with a spare for parts in Canada. Due to the current state of the world and borders closed. Has anyone had experience importing a snowcat into the US from Canada using a commercial carrier for transport? How big of a mess is it to import?

Don

is it US made machine, if so, should be no tariff and crossing is a breeze and you can handle the paper work

if made outside of USA might be better to have a broker as there is aways some new rule and or agent that is learning the system and can test your patience. there are bonded truckers/hot shots and you pay for the privilege to get the cat across the border

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Friend took my truck and trailer to pickup a tucker in Montreal in pieces along with most of another.

Was simple but we had tags and vins to match bill if sale and was us made.

If we didnt have who knows. Sounds like a broker would be wise.

Ak_muskeg

Thank you for the replies. I was figuring I'd have to go through a broker. I have called the Alaska Canada border crossing to check if they'd allow crossing. They have said my trip to pick up a vehicle wouldn't constitute a valid reason to cross with the current restrictions. Otherwise I'd drive down to pick it up.

Ill need to pay a tariff as they were built in Sweden. From what I've gleaned through looking at the import forms. It looks like its only a 2.5% import fee. Its also 30 years old so EPA compliance is not needed.

I've imported a few snowcat itms and a dump truck from Canada but not during this covid era. I've used Lynden every time for the trucking and last time I used their broker. Every other time I used Perman Stoler in Anchorage. Pretty painless process overall.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
If your importing a snow trac there plenty for sale in Alaska and then you don’t have to worry about the boarder check Craigs list be easy on your self...
But it’s nice to see some come back to the state I sted of going south...

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you for the replies. I was figuring I'd have to go through a broker. I have called the Alaska Canada border crossing to check if they'd allow crossing. They have said my trip to pick up a vehicle wouldn't constitute a valid reason to cross with the current restrictions. Otherwise I'd drive down to pick it up.

Ill need to pay a tariff as they were built in Sweden. From what I've gleaned through looking at the import forms. It looks like its only a 2.5% import fee. Its also 30 years old so EPA compliance is not needed.

Let's look at this differently.
Say the rig is for sale in WI.
travel from america to america is allowed. ( very good friend, from ninilcik (sp) was down three weeks ago.
bought a truck from my sister. bought a camper in CDN on the way back.
they were granted passage.

it is their rules, follow them.

snow trac for sale kaukauna WI.

we don't come to terms..... you drive back home ( mad of course ).

Ope look a snow cat for sale in canada. well look you just happen to have an empty trailer because our deal fell through.

don't make it harder than it is. most folks freeze up over what they think the rules say. concentrate on what they don't say.

Just $.02

Mike