• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Shiite Shrine attack

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In the news, they're talking about the Shiite shrine being blown up.

Although nobody has claimed responsibility, but suspicions have fallen on Sunni extremist groups.

My question is why are the protestors in Kut (a Shiite city) chanting anti-American slogans and burning American flags? Are we automatically blamed for everything???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
According to the radio, Shiite gunmen went to some Sunni Mosques and engaged them in gunfire. Shiite Clerics are calling for calm, but bullets are firing between the two main sects of the religion.

As to the American flag burning and slogans, that is simply proof that OTHER nations like Iraq, and/or radicals are behind the attack in an attempt to destroy whatever form of Democracy the Iraqus end up with.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
bczoom said:
My question is why are the protestors in Kut (a Shiite city) chanting anti-American slogans and burning American flags? Are we automatically blamed for everything???

Yep you got it and even by some of the countries that we helped out even hate us.

I will tell you a little story, like you really want to hear one but here goes.

My dad was in the Korean war. In all the years being around dad he would never ever talk about the war. You would ask him questions about the war and his experience and he would just move on into another room or change the subject. But I won't ever forget the first night of the Olympics in Seoul Korea when the Koreans where shown on TV burning the American Flag. My dad sat in his chair like he normally did and there was tears coming from his eyes. I have only seen my dad cry three times so far. The second time was when mom passed away. The Koreans the US helped out very much and you wonder what it would be like for them if the US didn't step in and continue to this day to monitor the borders. But for some reason they have forgotten that. You think of France the same way. But if they would not have helped then they would have been wrong to. Just like when Kuwait was taken over by Sadam, every one cried where is the United States? Mom's death did finally bring out what happened in Korea, dad finally opened up. The third time I saw my dad cry was on his 75th birthday. Us kids went out and got all of his medals, some we had to order from a company and had them mounted in a nice glass frame with a few pictures of him from the service. We all cried that day

Sometimes I think the US should just worry about herself and build weapons to protect herself. And let the rest of the world fight amongst themselves.

murph

jdwilson44

thcri said:
Yep you got it and even by some of the countries that we helped out even hate us.

I will tell you a little story, like you really want to hear one but here goes.

My dad was in the Korean war. In all the years being around dad he would never ever talk about the war. You would ask him questions about the war and his experience and he would just move on into another room or change the subject. But I won't ever forget the first night of the Olympics in Seoul Korea when the Koreans where shown on TV burning the American Flag. My dad sat in his chair like he normally did and there was tears coming from his eyes. I have only seen my dad cry three times so far. The second time was when mom passed away. The Koreans the US helped out very much and you wonder what it would be like for them if the US didn't step in and continue to this day to monitor the borders. But for some reason they have forgotten that. You think of France the same way. But if they would not have helped then they would have been wrong to. Just like when Kuwait was taken over by Sadam, every one cried where is the United States? Mom's death did finally bring out what happened in Korea, dad finally opened up. The third time I saw my dad cry was on his 75th birthday. Us kids went out and got all of his medals, some we had to order from a company and had them mounted in a nice glass frame with a few pictures of him from the service. We all cried that day

Sometimes I think the US should just worry about herself and build weapons to protect herself. And let the rest of the world fight amongst themselves.

murph

I remember back when the current Iraq war first started and the French were making a lot of noise there was more than a few people that said we should bring all the servicement home that were buried over there. The French have pretty much been ungrateful since soon after WWII ended and DeGaulle got into power. The Koreans go back and forth but for the most part seem to be friendly to us. I also think the US ought to spend a little more time worrying about itself and quite a bit less time going around the world and fixing everybody's problems. There are times - WWII was one of them - that you cannot just step back and stay isolationist but there are many other times when it does not pay to get involved in the long run. Police officers will tell you that some of the worst calls they go on are the domestic calls. A husband and his wife might be fighting like cats and dogs - the police show up and put the husband in cuffs and start dragging him off - then the wife goes nuts on the officers. Helping people is a two way street too - you can't expect to get helped without the helper wanting something in return. I think part of the problem the US has around the world right now is people perceive that we are just there for the return and not there for the helping. At least in WWII France and in during the Korean War it was pretty hard to make an argument that we got more out of the situation than we put in. With the whole Mideast thing we are wide open to all the charges of self interest because of the whole oil thing.

As I have gotten older I have found that it is sometimes much better to just sit back and watch people make the dumb mistakes they are going to make. Otherwise the lesson is never learned. Somebody proposes something totally stupid that you know isn't going to work? You can argue with them over and over and over or you can say - sounds great why don't you go try that out and tell me how it works out for you. We as a country ought to be doing a little less arguing with people and a little more of "go try that out and let me know how it works out for you".