• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Shark IQ Robot Vacuum not working as expected.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am new to robot vacuums. Never owned one before.
Son in law spoke of his Shark IQ Robot Vacuum RV 1001AE series and it sounded good. So I bought one on black Friday. It was shipped and at my house on Saturday. Amazing.

So I set it up, connected it to the wifi and charged it. Started it up and it is supposed to 'map' our house. In the process of mapping the battery died. We even shut off all bedrooms and a window room. Just had it doing living room, dining roon, kitchen and family room. It only did part of the kitchen and family room before battery died. Charged it again overnight. Started it up and it starts from scratch doing living room and dining room. This time it died in the dining room.

It appears to do a good job on the areas of the floor it sweeps but for the battery to die before done is not acceptable. It runs for about an hour I'm guessing.

Any suggestions or tips from owners of robot vacuums would be appreciated.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I have two of those. I don't have that problem. The run time is about an hour for each floor of my house with it set to empty itself more frequently due to the dog hair.

You may have a dud unit if your battery isn't lasting that long.

Mapping is kind of weird. You need to make sure to have all the lights on or window coverings open for the first few runs. You may want to delete the map and have it restart the process. Mapping is supposed to take up to a month for it to be fully done. This is all covered in the manual so if you haven't ... rtfm.

chowderman

how well 'zactly does the Shark cope with "dog hair?"
there are degrees of "dog hair" from minor to overwhelming.

we have a long hair / woolly Siberian Husky - personally I would pick a pitchfork to collect up the shedding.
he's cute - but wow does he leave a trail spring-summer-fall and winter.

I have been firmly totally against a robot vacuum as given the volume of shed hair, I suspect it would choke near instantly...
we have sheet vinyl and w-w carpeting -

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah yeah I have rtfm, the FAQ's and the troubleshooting guide. No joy. Only having it vacuum about 1500 sq ft of the house. Bedroom, bathrooms and window room all shut off until we get this main living area down pat.
Battery does last about an hour but it cannot cover that much area in an hour. Something seems wrong.

We no longer have a dog but we do have a cat. Plus we have two medium size doges (bull dog & border collie) that visit when kids come to see us. And they were just here for Thanksgiving so there is some hair but not real noticeable. The area it does vacuum seems very clean. Just wish it would do the entire area.

When the battery dies it stops right there. I have to carry it back to the docking station. When I set it there and it says battery low it also says error 24. I've assumed that means battery low. I've searched the manuals and the internet to see if my assumption is correct but so far I have not found a list of error codes.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc - I think something is wrong with your unit. Mine just quietly return to the base when done and then empty themselves.

Chowderman - I have three dogs who shed at varying levels through out the year. The robots are good at maintenance. They keep the hair and dirt down to a minimum but I still do a full vacuum every two weeks with a real vacuum. The first time the robots ran on each of the floors they did clog with hair but I just pulled the clumps out and they have been working fine ever since.

My recommendation is to do a thorough cleaning of your carpets and then let the robots do the maintenance. You probably won't have to vacuum as often.

I also have a Eufy(?) robot for the basement, it was my first one and has been running fine for three years. I did have to replace the battery after year two. It's not a nice as the Shark robots because I have to empty it every day.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The shark is messing with me now.
I was all set to return it today. But first I thought give it one more shot.
it made the full run of the areas we allowed it in and it returned to base. a little over 85 minutes of run time.
Maybe it did not get a full charge before or I did something to screw it up but for now it appears we are good to go. It appeared to go over some areas 4, 5 and 6 times. I was warned it takes a few weeks to completely map the rooms, so maybe that is part of the mapping function. i was simply glad to see it return to base on it's own. Woo hoo.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Every time I read about robot vacs I remember the story that made the rounds about the robot vac and the new puppy that pooped on the carpet.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I set my robots to run during the day. That way I have some time in the morning to hopefully notice any disasters.

The latest top of the line models claim to have poop avoidance tech but I am skeptical.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Every time I read about robot vacs I remember the story that made the rounds about the robot vac and the new puppy that pooped on the carpet.
I saw that somewhere also. What a mess it made smearing the soft poo all over the carpet. yuck.
Currently, no dogs or pups in our house. So far ours is not even automated. I start it up in the morning when I can watch it do it's thing and look for issues if it gets stuck in or on something.