• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SCUBA Anyone?

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
The wife and I just completed our classroom work for our open water diver SCUBA certification. I was just wondering if anybody had any tips for some ultra rookie divers (i.e. what kind of equipment to get, dive tips, etc.). Sure seems like a fun sport!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
What does the U in Scuba mean, underwater?

Yes, your favorite Frenchman, Jacque Cousteau was one of the people credited with inventing a Self Contained Underwater Breating Apparatus. Actually, what he invented was known as an "aqua lung". However, it was actually an Israeli named Alan Izhar-Bodner who invented a device that more closely allows to breathing underwater without tanks.

dzalphakilo

Banned
You will end up going on dive trips to "clear water" like around Mexico or the South Paciffic.

Depending on your area that you did you open water dive, you're probably diving in some sort of "quary" that has limited visability (5'-20').

This will get old after some time.

Once you go to an area that has 50' and better visability, you will be "hooked".

One of the "nicest" times in my life with fond memories was diving off the continental shelf. Was around 40' and then came up over the "shelf", over 2000' straight down (just like hovering in space). One memory that I will always treasure.

ALWAYS watch your dive tables and know your time. You would be surprised how fast time can go by. Get a good watch with a bezle (sp?).

Always keep taking classes. Work for your divemaster certification if you keep on planning to dive on a regular basis. Rescue diver is a must even if you don't want to keep taking classes. The info is invaluable "down the road" if you keep diving.

Make sure you have a dive plan and stick to it. This may not be a "must" if you go with some sort of "dive club" that makes the itenerary (sp?), but, if just you or you wife go by yourselves, know your "plan" and stick to it.

Night diving classes will be a blast.

NEVER drink heavy the day before a dive.

Never see "how deep" you can go just for the heck of it.

You will have a blast.

If you want to save money, looked for used equipment (after having it check out of course). You can find some BIG deals on people who bought k's worth of stuff, dived for 6 months and then decided to give it up because they don't have the time.

Himself

You may want to do some checking before you head off in the divemaster direction, it may not be for you.
The Massachusetts shop where I took my courses wanted me to sign a bleedin' oath of alegiance, actually a non-compete agreement. In return I could get free air. Then there was the insurance and liability issue. No Thanks, not for me. After I finished my first First-Aid course I was told that it should be renewed about every two years or so. Ok. After about two years I asked about another class. They told me if I could round up enough people we could have the class, they would charge us of course. Me do the organizing, they take the money. And what's with the 2500# fills? I bought all my original gear there and I'm sorry I did. I go to a local Rhode Island dive shop now. What a difference. Wicked nice to deal with. The way it should be.

Besides all the plan your dive and dive your plan, sword, and all the other vitally important basic open water education, here are a few thoughts...
Don't get hooked up with a shop that doesn't treat you right the first time.
3000# cylinders should be 3000# in the water, even if they're rentals.
Rent at first, then IF YOU DECIDE TO STAY WITH IT...
Buy top shelf gear, every time you use it you will be happy. A weight integrated BCD is very nice, or get the suspender style weight belt, they save your back. Definitely get a computer, I use a Suunto Eon. Not cheap but worth it. You can download your dives and plot them out to keep with your log book. Diving is pretty expensive if you buy the gear.
If you try to buy life insurance and tell them you are a diver you better be sitting down when they give you the rates. If you need medical assistance, because of a diving accident, some of it may not be covered by your health insurance policy. These things should be discussed during your open water classes. If not, you should ask.

I feel sorry for those that don't live near the ocean. Fresh water diving leaves a lot to be desired. The ocean is just teeming with life. I go mostly to Cape Ann in Massachusetts, sometimes to Newport or Jamestown, RI, the vis is decent most of the time, usually 20' but never 50', (sometimes 5' and that is what we call a plankton dive). Plenty of lobster, flounder, crabs etc. My brother is a Massachussets resident and has the non-commercial lobster diver license, I have the Rhode Island version.
I don't know what it is like to dive in warm water, if I went it would likely be the end of diving around here for me.
I like night diving a lot, there is a complete change in the creatures that come around. Some are eforvescent in the dive lights. Some, like schools of squid, are ghostly transparent. If you sit on the bottom and turn all the lights off you can see what a different place the sea really is. The only bad thing about night diving is the mosquitoes if you do a shore dive.
We often rent a seat on a dive boat. $55.- for half a day, boat only, your gear and your air. Usually two dive sites. Boat diving is very nice. No sand in the gear. One giant stride and there you are in 100' of water. Yeooow.
There are many many shops near the ocean that will arrange a buddy and/or a guided shore/boat dive for visitors if you give them a little notice. This is a great way to go diving while on a seaside vacation.

Diving is good clean fun. You meet a whole different class of people. Most of them are real nice (not me and not my brother). On the dive boat there are women sometimes and it get's interesting. You'll see.

One thing to keep in mind when you go to the Carribean or somewhere similar is you need to gas off on the last day of the visit to avoid problems flying home. So, no diving on the last day, it is reserved for drinking. And yes, you can vomit through the second stage regulator and survive.

I like diving a lot but it interferes with my drinking.
My wife says she will leave me if I don't give up diving. Gee I'm gonna miss her.
And when someone asks "how deep do you go?" the answer is "all the way to the bottom".
Drysuits and the "P-factor" are not compatible.

All kidding aside, I have PADI Rescue Diver cert. I think this is a good cert level for the recreational diver. Enough useful info to be safe without making a career out of it. I really enjoy diving, I'm very glad I was talked into it.

All the best,
Martin

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies, folks. I'm having a problem with my mask fogging. I've washed it with toothpaste 3 times now. Any other hints?

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Great idea! I tried to kill 2 birds with one stone, you know, brush your teeth, then spit in the mask. Rinsing it out never dawned on me!

dzalphakilo

Banned
Spit up a nice BIG green lugie (or phlem if you'd like) in you're mask and wipe it around the "glass" with your finger.

Worked everytime for me!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
Spit up a nice BIG green lugie (or phlem if you'd like) in you're mask and wipe it around the "glass" with your finger.

Worked everytime for me!
That's the way I was taught.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Just got back from the Keys and we are now CERTIFIED! Woohoo!! What an experience. We only went down 25' and the vis was only about 20', but to just hang there and watch the sea life surround you is amazing. The wife is still having problems with a clogged ear. We already tried Auro-dry and the Vinegar with Isopropyl alcohol mixture with no luck. Any suggestions?

Himself

Never been to the Keys, you are lucky indeed.
At 20' the vis is just limiting what you can see and what is watching you. You must try it at night with the lights out, let your buddy use a light and watch what is going on around you. Awesome and worth the mosquito bites.
There are four additional things to try to remove water from the ear. I prescribe drinks, sex, a smoke and sleep. Works for me. When sleeping just keep the affected ear to the pillow, the smoke thing is optional, a thing of the distant past and I still miss it.
Now, if your partner is still having ear problems after all that, just repeat as often as necessary. Trust me, I'm an internet otolarynologist.
See, diving is fun.
I had a squeeze once and swatted my forehead thinking something was stinging me. What an ejit, me.
Now I take an antihistamine before the first dive and that keeps me clear although it does make me want to pee. This has nothing to do with the Keys or water in ones ear but it is diving related so there you go.
Depending on the mood at home and what I can expect when I get there, I sometimes shake my head much like a dog shaking off a bath, and the water comes out of my ears.
All the best,
Martin

BoneheadNW

Himself said:
There are four additional things to try to remove water from the ear. I prescribe drinks, sex, a smoke and sleep. Works for me. When sleeping just keep the affected ear to the pillow, the smoke thing is optional, a thing of the distant past and I still miss it.

Would this work as well if I fell asleep drunk and had a dream about having sex after putting out a fire? You see, I'm not a smoker and have been married for over 11 years........... :3_7_11v: :sleep: :reacharou

Bonehead

Himself

Here's the thing Bonehead, I just don't know.
Let me add I suspect that falling asleep drunk has been accomplished on a mass scale with little ill effect as long as it's done in bed.
This dreaming of sex thing might be a little scary and those who have enjoyed it probably won't fess up that it ever happened.
As far as putting out a fire...now that usually wakes me right up. Just be sure to raise the seat.

All the best,
Martin