• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Say bye-bye to you ancient fire extinguisher's

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 6.51.27 PM.png

Just picked up one of these. Never seen them before. If you want maximum safety in a small package, This is it! 80$, is cold tolerant, won't settle or freeze, and will last for years

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. I have multiple 10# and a couple 20# extinguishers but that looks pretty interesting.

Where did you buy it?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Like Melensdad, I'm interested. I have extinguishers of varying sizes in the kitchen, in the garage, in the shop, in the truck, in my car and in the barn. That thing looks small enough that it would be a lot more convenient in the vehicles at least.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. I have multiple 10# and a couple 20# extinguishers but that looks pretty interesting.

Where did you buy it?
Online. Amazon had them or you can order directly from the company.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
The video looks pretty impressive. Hopefully it last longer than a regular fire extinguisher does. Having to recharge them is a pain.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Thank You bczoom. I was not aware of the recall. I'll check mine today. I'm sure that I have some on that recall list.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm skeptical. Seen a bunch of this type of miracle extinguishers over my 35 years as fire officer. Couple of years and they disappear. Note: No <FM> or UL listing, so not acceptable to AHJ's in USA if you are required to have one, It's kinda like when I demonstrated a water hose putting out a liquid fuel fire. In the right setup you can show anything "as seen on tv".

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. Looks like I’m gonna have to blow this 80$ on a test and get a new one if it pans out. Seems like a cheap test if it doesn’t work when I need it

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
One that comes to mind is a similar product: https://www.chimfex.us/ The smoke given off is supposed to displace the oxygen and the fires goes out. marginal results for me. I was given two by a sales droid. it worked on a small wood stove, but not on a larger fireplace.

try it in mild windy conditions.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm all for innovation. In the last few years, there have been some spectacular innovations in safety. But, as an engineer, I need a track record before endorsement. As I posted above, seen a bunch come then go.....

Watch Hellfighters with John Wayne, he uses dynamite to put out fires. The technical aspects of the film are essentially correct.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Like the product but at $80, I'll wait until they come down in price.

On a somewhat related note, did everyone take care of their Kidde extinguisher recall?
I think I had around 20 that needed replaced. They sent me new ones.
Kidde has had so many recalls I can't recommend them when people ask. Got toned out one night for "explosion and fire" "smoke filled house". the head blew off of the kidde extinguisher and filled the end of the house with fine particles that looked like smoke. Good commercial quality is cheaper in the long run.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kidde has had so many recalls I can't recommend them when people ask. Got toned out one night for "explosion and fire" "smoke filled house". the head blew off of the kidde extinguisher and filled the end of the house with fine particles that looked like smoke. Good commercial quality is cheaper in the long run.
That is what I have.

But these new Element solid extinguishers look like a long term bargain. No more recharging mt extinguishers every few years, no more inspections, etc. Last time I had my extinguishers inspected & recharged the 2 Kidde units I had got tossed out, that was late 2019.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW, if you have a rechargeable extinguisher due for it's hydro-test, the cost is the same whether empty or full. Great time to do some extinguisher training for employees or family. Your local Fire agency may be able to help for free..... give them a call.

ezroller

GOLD Site Supporter
What I found odd/interesting was its ability to handle a variety of fire types. I do feel ya though Tom. After watching the videos more closely, I think I’ll have to experiment.