Saving our garden.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the original picture looks like a sand box for kids the way it is located in your yard.
jim

usually untreated lumber will rot out in 7 years in our pacific coast .

BigAl

SUPER Site Supporter
A motion detector connected to a light or noise maker would keep wild animals away.

Better yet get a "Motion Detector water sprinkler" . It turns and shoots water at anything that comes in range . Northern Tool had them last time I checked .

Leni

My garden was invaded this summer by two legged varmints twice. They took everything, and by that I mean every tomato bigger than a dime (green or ripe) was swiped along with all the cukes, Peppers, and Zuchinni

They cut the chain on the gate and left shoe prints in the mud.

36 tomato plants, 20 Pepper and 6 hills of Zuchinni. I got three tomatoes on the 2nd of July for all my spring work putting the damm thing in. They were awesome but not worth that effort.

An alarm system and maybe a little electricty might help. As a matter of fact, I like big Al's idea.

muleman

worn out farmer
GOLD Site Supporter
Thieves are not ambitious enough to walk uphill to get to my garden. #8 shot discourages all types of critters no matter how many legs they have.:whistling:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my problem is elk. they will stand in the center of my garden looking at my spotlight and if I spook them they bolt right threw my barb wire fence. 2nd year now I never planted anything but pumpkins.
me and my texas giant corn from a few year ago.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We don't fence our garden. We just plant a garden that is far larger than we need, the animals get what they need, we get what we need, there is usually plenty of extra left so we share the extras.

muleman

worn out farmer
GOLD Site Supporter
I had to fence our garden. I don't like to share with all the critters we have around here. Since the wild berries are ripe the bears are on the move. Wife had one right in the middle of the road last week. The bears and raccoons like sweet corn too much and can destroy a crop in a day or two. Skunks love tomatoes and bunnies and groundhogs eat things as well. I need to move our blueberries into the garden as the deer love to browse the plants even after I moved them into the flower beds close to the house.:hammer: