• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Safety question

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
So do you think it would be suicidal to make it so I can only get off my tractor in one direction?
Its gunna be a bit cramped when I get all the loader gear fitted on, would be nice to have some place to put stuff in there too. I thought about putting it all on one side where you would get on or off and just leaving one side open.
It will have a nice big fat ROPS on it, and a homemade cab. The problem is that when it rolls I want to be off it quickstyle, what if the only opening was on the down side. What about riding out a roll in the cab, or is that just not gunna happen? I only ever exepct to drop it onto its side, not over and over.
Im desperately trying to think of ways to fit everythin in.
It started off as a small garden tractor, I cant really think of many things that are still going to be the same when its done.
So would you ride a trator that you could only get out of one way?
Thanks

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith said:
It will have a nice big fat ROPS on it, and a homemade cab. The problem is that when it rolls I want to be off it quickstyle, what if the only opening was on the down side. What about riding out a roll in the cab, or is that just not gunna happen? I only ever exepct to drop it onto its side, not over and over.

My short answer (only have a minute...).
If you roll, yes, you want to stay in the cab.
Why can't you just climb out any of the openings in the cab?
Is the cab going to have windows?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
It would take too long to climb out of windows when you feel you are about to roll. When over use the back window (or lack of it).
I shouldnt think I'd ever use a seatbelt so it might be best to keep both sides open. Ive rolled it before, just turn it off and hop out the high side, not a problem. Just if that high side was blocked.....:eek:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith I actually did a photo comparision of tractor loaders on TBN a while back and several of the brands, after the loader was installed, were only accessable from one side. Branson comes to mind as being only accessable from the left side. Now all those tractors had ROPS and seat belts.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like Bob said, my Kubota L3010 w/ FEL is only accessible from one side. With ROP you really should wear the seatbelt for your own safety.
Couldn't you motion to some of your mates to come roll you back upright? :D

LarryRB

almost all commercial machines, 14 ft class and bigger and my L 48 can only be mounted on the left side.. It's all I'm use to so I wouldn't know any different

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Definately food for thought there.
Id really rather not be attached to the tractor when it decides to roll. Thinking about it more and more its more and more worrying the more I think :eek:.
Maybe I'll have to look more into a seatbelt, which means I'll need a new seat, new seat mounts, ya da ya da ya.
Thanks

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith,

Which (or what size) tractor is the one you're working on?

Brian

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Brian,
12HP wheelhorse
it aint stock no more though, its gunna be about 8'' longer and 3'' more gound clearence with a loader on the front and a cab.
Not big by any means, but very heavy.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you WOULD want to be attached to the tractor if it rolls, but only if you have a roll cage/bar, etc. As for the seat/seatbelt. Your stock seat should work fine, your seatbelt should attach to the tractor and should hold you into the seat. A seat belt attached to the seat itself would allow you to tip forward as most seats have a hinge on them to allow them flip forward.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith,

Like Bob (and probably others mentioned), get yourself a seatbelt. If I recall correctly, isn't this the tractor you plan on getting up to 30mph?

Brian

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Nah, different tractor, this one is the 212-5. The 112-6 is the little buggy thing.

The pic shows the tractor (212-5) a little while ago, before I tore into it :D

I was planning on fully blocking off the right hand side, dont think I will any more.

Attachments

• Mud (Small).JPG
    Mud (Small).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 35

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
MIth,

The biggest safety problem I see with that picture (and probably with the mods you're working on) is the instinct to put the foot down when it starts to go over.
Everyone that rides motorcycles, ATV's and now UTV's does that (put the foot down to stop the rollover). The problem is that the machines (UTV's and probably your tractor) have gotten heavy and putting your leg out/down isn't going to stop it. It'll break your leg first.

Brian

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Yea, I know what you mean. With doors on the cab you arent gunna be able to do that though. Both times when ive rolled it its been a case of time to think things through and climb out the top. The only time I didnt have time was when I hit a tree and it went over backwards a way.
I know it isnt nearly on the scale of your guys tractors, its a little tractor that wants to grow up. Still i think the same issues apply (except I can go places you guys cant, like 30degree hills and 3.5foot gaps :D), maybe I'll just stop thinking about it and worry when the time comes. It sure are gunna be tippy with a loader capable of lifting the weight of the tractor to a height of 5ft though :eek:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Whoa ...30 degree hills! Wow.

Sure would like to see a pic of it once you get the loader on it.
Good project!

Viking

Site Supporter
Mith said:
Nah, different tractor, this one is the 212-5. The 112-6 is the little buggy thing.

The pic shows the tractor (212-5) a little while ago, before I tore into it :D

I was planning on fully blocking off the right hand side, dont think I will any more.

Cool machine Mith. Are you fabricating the loader yourself? Or did you find one that already fits?