• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rough trip home last night

jwstewar

When I went out to the parking garage from work last night, I saw a large green puddle under the car. I knew that wasn't good.:sad: It is a 2000 Honda Accord w/ 2.3 ltr, 4 cycle with almost 260k on the clock. I started the car and called Monica and warned her that she may need to get the trailer ready to come get me :unsure: I started out toward home, made it a couple miles and the temp gauge immediately went to red. I pulled over and went to a ghetto gas station and bought a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze and put a little over half in it. I started the car back up and headed toward home. Made it about halfway home and the temp started climbing again. Put the rest of the coolant in thinking that if I made it that far, I should be good to make it home. Wrong!!!!!:hammer: Within a few miles the temp was climbing again. So I called Monica and had her bring me 3 jugs of antifreeze and a gallon of water. She got there and I added it to it and off I went again. By the time I got home, I had to stop 3 more times and add antifreeze/water to it. I coasted the last mile (down hill) home. Couldn't get a real good look at it last night because everything was hot (engine did not over heat), but with it being dark. Everything hot and steam going every where, I couldn't get a good look at it. My first thought was a head gasket, but this seem like way too much fluid to be a head gasket. I can hear it spewing, but can't really see it, other than I know it is on the back side of motor somewhere. Gonna probably be weekend before I can really look into it as by the time I get home this time of the year it is almost dark. So by the time I get started, it is dark. Hoping it is something simple like a hose somewhere. Anyone have any experience with this on this model car? I was hoping to run this car to 300k just to say I did.:wow::yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's evident on the back side of the engine but are you sure it's not because it blew back in that direction from something like the lower radiator hose?

I had that same car years ago and don't recall anything towards the rear related to the coolant system.

BTW, why did you even add antifreeze as fast as it was dumping out? I would have probably just put water in knowing it's only going to be there a matter of minutes.

jwstewar

There is nothing up front, so I don't believe it is blowing back and when I would stop, you could actually see/hear it blowing from the rear somewhere. I was adding antifreeze for 2 reasons, when it first started happening, I didn't think it was going to be that bad, so that is mainly what Monica brought to me, second, everything was so hot, if I didn't have antifreeze there, the water would start boiling immediately, where as the antifreeze would stop that for the most part.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a similar thing happen to me in my Touareg.

Turned out that a hose blew. Started leaking and as the engine (and the fluid) heated, the leak turned into a stream, then a full blow out. Made 3 stops to get to where I needed to go without over heating.

Hopefully yours is just a hose.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Could be a couple of things, I heater hose, a radiator hose, or a water pump. Until you can get it pressure checked I can only make a guess. Might be a freeze plug too.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If you'd left the radiator or reservoir cap loose it probably wouldn't have leaked out so fast.
Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I would guess freeze plug if one has rotted out you should replace all of them. some of those imports have coolant heated intakes with small jumper hoses. the water pump could also be the problem I would look at the freeze plugs head gaskets can deteriorate like that also but it is rare to see it

jwstewar

Got the car fixed. Like someone mentioned it was a heater hose. I went to Advance Auto and borrowed a radiator pressure tester and within 30 seconds found the leak. You can see the hose in this picture. It is the one on the lower left that does the funky curve and goes up into the intake of the car right below the distributor. Took me a bit to get the clamp off and get the hose off just because of not able to get a real good grip on it, but finally got it. $20 for the hose and new clamps and $12 for a gallon of antifreeze and distilled water. Should be good to go for awhile again. Like someone mentioned, this car does lose some oil around the distributor and it drops down on this hose, so that is probably what did it in. At 260k on the clock though, I don't plan on fixing the oil leak, I just want to run it to 300k to see if she'll make it. Not bad for a car we bought 7 1/2 years ago w/ 71k on it and a salvage title.

Attachments

• 20151002_114248.jpg
    20151002_114248.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 91

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad it was a cheap fix. I bet you make it to 300k. Our 95 accord made it. Wife and I took it to 180k. Daughter took it to 230k the handed down to our son. He got it to 300k. At that point it was ready to be replaced. Still I think he got 500 bucks for it. It did run but needed some other fixin (can't remember what).