Retired

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Friday, I'm done with the rat race.

Will still be working me arse off, but on my stuff. Bought a fixer-upper house, garage, and pole barn on 2 acres in a very good vacation rental area by Lake Michigan, and just bought a 9,770 sq ft steel building to store all my toys, and rent out the extra space. Place is sound and an old thick-steel building, insulated, 480vac service. But needs outisde painting (it's brown now, will be grey with a black roof) and some cosmetic work. I got all the electric working now, and safely. All grounds and neutrals fixed Bought a Graco professional paint machine for the outside walls and roof. Will also spray the ceiling with high gloss white, and then put up brilliant white metal panels over the insulated walls. I have a ton of work to do.

Ross 650

Congratulations!!!!! Retirement is great. I dont do much these days. Sounds like you have plenty of projects to make time fly by. When I was working I was sent to most states, spent 1 year in Tennessee, 1 year in Ohio, 2 years in Oklahoma, and 1 year in Saudi. It is nice these days to see airplanes fly over and not be on them. Enjoy your deserved retirement!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Fred. Woo Hoo.
I was hesitant to retire but took the leap and truly enjoy not dealing with the rat race. You'll be glad you have your projects to keep you busy (but you always seemed to have those anyway). And you'll make free time for fun bucket list stuff. It is truly awesome. Enjoy!!!!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have found when you are working, there is always time tomorrow for you own stuff. So, you put your own stuff off.

And before you know it, years have gone by, and your stuff is still undone.

My experience, it's a habit that is hard to break. So, my advice, pay no mind to those mornings you decide to put your stuff off until tomorrow.

As the saying goes, "Just do it!"

It is literally a sea change you must intentionally do.

I know this because I am trying to do this very transition myself.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations my friend. You'll enjoy the hell out of it.

I retired at 52 but didn't have it out of my system so I went back to work consulting after 18 months at home, working about the place. I finally gave it up when I was 57 and never regretted it. Not that I've stopped doing stuff, it's that now it gets done on my schedule. I love it.

J5 Bombardier

Congrats on your retirement . I had just turned 58 when I went on holidays Jan 1st this year. After the holidays were done I've been burning up my banked overtime and will officially retire Sept 1st next month , it's been great so far and I don't miss the 90 mile round trip commute everyday. Never been busier , but I'm working on my own stuff ,only thing the days just fly by.
J5 Bombardier

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats on retirement.

Best thing I ever did for myself but beware of being too busy. Honestly sometimes I think I need to go back to work to get some rest.

I'm sure you will find a way to balance life and your pleasurable "work" whatever "work" means now in your retirement phase.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I am semi retired, self employed construction business. Most is done by my son and employees now, although I have to jump in time to time to save them, like the last year or so. I have been working on retirement projects for a couple years now. I am going to make it official 66.5 when my full SS kicks in. Thats in less than 2 years. Im sure you have worked your A$$ of for what you have and now its time to enjoy it. Congratulations.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Fred!
I retired at 53 and it's great. I agree with others that say you won't be able to sleep until 10AM. I've never been able to do it.
I get to do what I want, when I want. Too hot, cold or wet outside... it can wait for another day.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Fred!
I retired at 53 and it's great. I agree with others that say you won't be able to sleep until 10AM. I've never been able to do it.
I get to do what I want, when I want. Too hot, cold or wet outside... it can wait for another day.

That's the best part of it.

Wake up in the morning knowing that you have a 4-acre yard to mow, some fence that needs fixing and a huge branch off a tree in the pasture that needs clearing and you say, "Screw it. I'm going fishing. It'll all be there tomorrow."

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
That's the best part of it.

Wake up in the morning knowing that you have a 4-acre yard to mow, some fence that needs fixing and a huge branch off a tree in the pasture that needs clearing and you say, "Screw it. I'm going fishing. It'll all be there tomorrow."
Is that not the trap of which I was talking post #6?

Or
Is it the blessing of retirement?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Haven't got to my goal. Latest I've slept is maybe 730.
At least 4 hours a day at the warehouse fixing stuff up.
Bought a nice 14 foot powered scissor lift. Was pretty cheap. 3500. Had only about 245 hours on it. Batteries are only 3 years old and are marine deep cycle. Was delivered yesterday. It's a Hybrid 1430.
Next week I start dropping down all the old air line pipes, and removing defunct fluorescent fixtures. Have all new Led fixtures, but won't put those up until the ceiling is painted glossy white. Picked up a nice Graco sprayer for that and a repaint of the exterior.
Ordered 4 new garage doors and two new steel master pedestrian doors.
Office is all paint now. Only awaiting white phone jack covers. Pic attached.
I should have done this year's ago. Seriously, if you are contemplating retirement. Just do it now. I am totally relaxed. Wife loves it.

Attachments

• 20220829_140018.jpg
    20220829_140018.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It's difficult to say how long I've been retired because I retired, unretired and then retired again. I've been fully retired for about 18-years and about 23-years in total. During my working life I used to get up around 4:30 in the morning. That was a hard habit to break but with much effort and perseverance I have managed to achieve it. These days I usually wake up around 7:30, give or take, and depending on the weather and my disposition, I'll either get up or roll over and go back to sleep until 9 o'clockish. I spend a lot of time rolling over. :)

I too can recommend retirement.

J5 Bombardier

After 8 months of this new life I've managed to stretch getting up to 5:30 sometimes , usually it's 4:30 or earlier and hitting the sac at10:30 pm seems to be enough nap time. It's been great so far, nothing more relaxing than getting up before everyone, coffee in hand and fire up the laptop (used to be the paper).
J5 Bombardier

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations. I missed this thread when it was first posted. I've been on forced early retirement since age 38 and I'm 45 now. I don't know when I had time to work I've been so busy doing nothing for 7 years. Lol. Actually, I do get lots d9ne depending on how I'm feeling.

Gunsrus

Friday, I'm done with the rat race.

Will still be working me arse off, but on my stuff. Bought a fixer-upper house, garage, and pole barn on 2 acres in a very good vacation rental area by Lake Michigan, and just bought a 9,770 sq ft steel building to store all my toys, and rent out the extra space. Place is sound and an old thick-steel building, insulated, 480vac service. But needs outisde painting (it's brown now, will be grey with a black roof) and some cosmetic work. I got all the electric working now, and safely. All grounds and neutrals fixed Bought a Graco professional paint machine for the outside walls and roof. Will also spray the ceiling with high gloss white, and then put up brilliant white metal panels over the insulated walls. I have a ton of work to do.
Congratulations. Retirement is the end of one path and the begining of another. You walked far in your life and now you can enjoy your home, knowing you did and saw enough to truly call it your own. Gardening, crafts, among other things are now more accessible because you can make the time to take them up. I hope you find as much fulfillment in retirement as you did in your active life.