• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Replacing wear pads on grousers

fritz

Has anyone with a 601 welded new wear pads on their grousers with the tracks still on the machine?

PradoTDI

Are you wanting to just put on new wear pads, or remove the remains of the old ones first? I would think that welding on new pads wouldn't be too big of an issue as long as you covered the belting around the grouser you're welding on, and maybe weld in stages to allow the grouser to cool and not burn the rubber. Some of my old grousers have a couple of beads of hardfacing along the length of the wear pads, thinking I will copy that when I build new grousers to allow worry free operation on gravel, dirt and the occasional pavement if need be.

fritz

I just added to what was left of the old ones. When I got my machine one track had already had had this done, and I wanted them to be the same. I just moved the machine so the grouser I was working on was facing down. I figured that way nothing hot would fall on the belting, but fall away to the ground. Then I stitch welded my way around the new wear pad. I also added some 1/4" studs to the wear pads on both tracks for better traction on hard pack and ice. They will tear up my trailer decking for sure, but better than sliding out of control on the icy pack that is unavoidable on the winding hilly dirt road to my house. I would rather tear up trailer decking than end up sliding of the road and wrecking the machine.

fritz

All in all it went pretty smoothly. Next up I'm going to swap in a 300 hei distributor (modified), and then add a holley efi kit. I also want to replace the old generator with an alternator. Just got a new master cylinder for the steering today.(left one is malfunctioning)

fritz

All in all it went pretty smoothly. Next up I'm going to swap in a 300 hei distributor (modified), and then add a holley efi kit. I also want to replace the old generator with an alternator. Just got a new master cylinder for the steering today.(left one is malfunctioning)
Both master cylinder replaced, brakes bled. All is working as it should. Changed out fluid in the diff. Drain plug refuse to cooperate, popped the top and siphoned out the old. poured the new easy peasy. Any lines on brake relining for the 15? I know spryte improvement does 4s and 12s. Not sure on the 15s though. Just want to get my ducks in a row before it's due. I hate last minute scrambling. Waiting until spring to mod the 300 dizzy to fit the 223. Also to install the adapter to get the original tach working again.

modifier

Both master cylinder replaced, brakes bled. All is working as it should. Changed out fluid in the diff. Drain plug refuse to cooperate, popped the top and siphoned out the old. poured the new easy peasy. Any lines on brake relining for the 15? I know spryte improvement does 4s and 12s. Not sure on the 15s though. Just want to get my ducks in a row before it's due. I hate last minute scrambling. Waiting until spring to mod the 300 dizzy to fit the 223. Also to install the adapter to get the original tach working again.
Hi Fritz, you get your bands done yet? Do they have hinges in the middle down on the bottom? Post some pics of your grouser repairs. All of the ones on 1 of my tracks needs the thin wide strip and the wear pads redone. I'm thinking maybe it never had the wear pad tops on that side and that's why they are so worn out.

modifier

I just blew up one of your photos and looked close at your grousers. Yours only have the first band on them. I think perhaps most 600 series were like that. Mine have extra pads on top. Either because it's all terrain, or someone added them later. Look pretty factory to me though.

Attachments

• 20211227_162429.jpg
    20211227_162429.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 91

modifier

I'll have to look closer next time I'm at the shop. Maybe the top plates were added on top of the worn out wrap around plates to repair them.

Attachments

• 20211227_162407.jpg
    20211227_162407.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 83

PradoTDI

Some of my grousers have the extra wear pads, some don't. It looks like they were added sometime after the cat left the factory. On a few of the grousers that don't have the wear pads the original 1-1/4x1/8 flat bar has worn completely through.
IMG_2762.jpg