• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

reinforced neoprene rubber?

alryA

Folks. I'm constructing a snow roller that needs some flexible rubber of sorts and I'm not sure what material I should be looking for. Needs to be fiber reinforced neoprene or rubber. Is smooth on at least one side, black in color, highly abrasion and tear resistant and will be use outdoors. 1/4 or 3/8 thick. Any material recommendations I should be looking for?? Thanks!

Snowy Rivers

Try some conveyor belting they use for aggregate transport.
3/8" thick
3 ply
You can order this stuff with a choice of cover sheet. (The front and back are usually different with the front side being thicker)
Rivet the stuff onto your steel tube with heavy steel pop rivets.

Should do the job really well.

The belting is available in many widths.....

alryA

We just need a little piece, something like 10" x 3 ft but when I search on ebay using the words "conveyor belting, 3/8", black, smooth" I just get one hit that's $2000.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
We just need a little piece, something like 10" x 3 ft but when I search on ebay using the words "conveyor belting, 3/8", black, smooth" I just get one hit that's $2000.
try local, try local mills, rock quarries. many times they have chunks left over. some cheap, some free, some a six-pack, and even cash

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
With the 3' length I'm guessing you have an approximately 12"dia cylinder. Once you have it cut to exact length get some medium duty steel shipping strap. Cut and bend the ends in a right angle so you have about 3" between the ends when wrapped around the belting over the cyl and drill holes in the tabs for bolts to go thru. Get some #10 or #12 all thread to make bolts to pull the ends together. I think 3 would do it, one about an inch in from the edges and one in the middle. Have the strap ends anywhere except over the ends of the belting so it will pull the belt ends down flat. Some oil between the straps and belting will help cinch it down good. Once it's all snug use pan head self drilling screws to fasten it down where the ends meet and along the edges. I'm curious what this snow roller will be used for??

alryA

I'm constructing a snow roller for XC systems. Here is photos of rollers, one I built and the other from YTS but i did much work to. So I'm not new to this industry.

I've got used conveyor belting for free before and it was so, so cut up. So well used, I should say. :confused:

new roller test side a.jpg

new roller test out the door.jpg
Roller comb.jpg

alryA

Today I pretty much got my rubber belting cut and mounted on this roller as wings. Wings means it will flex up in the snow at the rollers edge and when you get the roller brushed up against something, these will flex out of the way. Is about 3/8 thick, has lots of fiber in it and came from Grainger who offered it in various widths and sold per foot which made it very easy to work with. As can be seen in the photos, I have four 5/16 bolts holding each wing on with large black flat strap as washers. First photo is of course its bottom side. The yellow plate is its top side with some modest weights added.
P1090039.jpg
P1090040.jpg
P1090042.jpg