• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Plan B

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
A lot of people might not consider this as much of a concern as I do, but spending a majority of ones time going 20+ miles into the winter backcountry with one machine and family, I keep a eye out for good options for getting back to the truck in case of a problem with the cat. Of course we have the Garmin, but I hope pushing the 'send SAR' button is more like Plan D or E. Anyway saw these, look cool but kinda spendy.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
A lot of people might not consider this as much of a concern as I do, but spending a majority of ones time going 20+ miles into the winter backcountry with one machine and family, I keep a eye out for good options for getting back to the truck in case of a problem with the cat. Of course we have the Garmin, but I hope pushing the 'send SAR' button is more like Plan D or E. Anyway saw these, look cool but kinda spendy.

I think you should buy a couple and we can test them at Sun Valley next year.

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Gmoose,

I got a Snow Runner year or so ago, ordered and received all the parts I need to rebuild it, just haven't gotten to it yet. Advantage is it's lightweight and doesn't take much room, goes a long way on a gallon of gas. Considering that one generally heads mostly uphill from unloading a cat and so a return to the truck would be mostly downhill, might serve the purpose but surely not overkill.

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Also, never paid much attention to Snow bikes but ran across this ad last winter. I happen to have a Yamaha TTR 110 I bought new maybe 10 years ago but has almost no hours on it. Still not gonna rip the mountain up, but probably haul a couple people and pull a sled downhill in a pinch. Not to mention, Lil Capt will be big enough to be able to ride it here the next winter or so.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have two Sno runners that came from the snowmobile hall of fame. One is all stock and the dog as we refer to it. The other has the factory performance mods(exhaust, thicker head gasket shims, gearing/clutch , and the two chassis stiffener plates.)

They are both entertaining and the performance one dangerous at high speed. Similar to riding a bike as kid on glare ice if you had theexperience.

Novelty at best and the tilhotsen carbs can be temperamental. The track lugs break quickly and they don't go anyware in deep power. Few inches on ground or packed maybe. Bring the SAR bail out in this escape vehicle.

Need a friend with a helicopter!

D357267D-2627-4A74-8A36-40C6CA965B9F.jpeg

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
TA,

Yea Snow Runners are definitely light duty, but I got the thing from a friend and have the parts so one of these days I'll get it put together.

Again, it's not overkill either but I think the little snowbike is gonna get the nod in the end, put it on a receiver hitch rack on the back of the cat and go.

Lol, yea I do have a buddy, you might have met Jess at SV 2020, with a helicopter that he hangers at his house and he tells me,"just send me an email with coordinates and I'll come get you". I laughed and told him, trouble is half the time you're gone traveling and the other half weather conditions are prohibitive, ...... so back to plan b.

Cidertom,

Yea I love the Talley Cathouse too, I'm just trying to travel a little lighter.