• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Outlook/Outlook Express

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How clean do you keep your mailbox?

If I delete my contents, does it actually go away or are the stories about the e-mails being kept really true?

I'm probably due to clean my inbox but not going to waste my time if I don't gain space. In my one mailbox, I only have about 7000 messages for 2005. 2004 and previous years are in other folders.

OregonAlex

I never keep mail on my computer, I use a IMAP server because I like to read and manage my email from various computers and this way the daily backup on my server takes care of it as well. Being that you used to play around on a mainframe, I think you can see the goal here.

I am not sure if you can tell easily what is in outlook email database. Its not a format I attempted to decode.... but using a Unix mailbox format (i.e. plain concatented file) is preferrable for me at least.

I am trying to be nice here.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I only use Outlook at work and yes when you delete you really don't delete. You have the capability to retreive deleted files under tools. From there you can fully delete from the machine.

I use Outlook Express, when you delete in OE you remove it completely on the first deletion. OE also enables newsgroups which I frequent!