• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oregon anti-Diesel bills will destroy farms, hurt rural residents

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm a big fan of diesel. 2 diesel cars and diesel tractors. Hard to get a way from diesel's usefulness in rural areas. Medium and large equipment is mostly diesel on farms. Back up generators are frequently diesel in the rural areas. Trucks are pretty much all diesel. The state of Oregon has a coastal city of Portland on the west, lots of rural communities from the Cascades to the east. But the votes are in Portland. So a very rural state is run by the voters in Portland.

One has to hope that common sense prevails and the 2 anti-diesel proposals are killed in their congress. Just like the Dutch farmers in the Netherlands, we can hope that the farmers unite and take over the electoral system in Oregon.

Climate bills in Oregon criticized for negatively impacting rural farming communities

"Rural communities are not responsible for Portland's air quality,"

the Farm Bureau stated in written testimony.

Climate bills in the Oregon legislature are being criticized for potential devastation of rural communities and could possibly fuel further inflation.
One of the bills titled House Bill 3158, the "Clean Diesel Engine Tax" would add new taxes to off-road machinery, such as that used in farming and logging.
The Oregon Farm Bureau (OFB) came out against this bill, pointing out that it would tax virtually every piece of equipment that's used in agriculture, plus the fuel and tires that are also necessary for its use.
The OFB added that this bill would put the burden on rural businesses with the cost of retrofitting trucks in the state's largest metropolitan area. Revenues from this tax would be transferred to the "Clean Diesel Engine Fund."
"Rural communities are not responsible for Portland's air quality, but HB 3158 puts that responsibility squarely, and inappropriately, on the backs of our members," the Farm Bureau stated in written testimony.
Another climate bill being criticized is SB 803 which would expand Portland's petroleum-based diesel phase-out to the rest of Oregon.
Opponents of these bills don't want to copy Portland, and say the cost of fuel would rise and wind up hurting lower-income Oregonians and rural communities . . .

power1

Where are all of these idiots coming from? In the last few years we have seen idiots come pouring out of the rocks they live under. There is no limits on the stupid things they come up with. What makes it even worse is most people are letting them get away with it.
What will it take for the people to take back control of our country?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Where are all of these idiots coming from? In the last few years we have seen idiots come pouring out of the rocks they live under. There is no limits on the stupid things they come up with. What makes it even worse is most people are letting them get away with it.
What will it take for the people to take back control of our country?
I think that most people are UNAWARE of these things because the media spins, or ignores, stories about these proposals until they become law.

Hopefully people wake up, like the Dutch and French farmers have done. The 'silent majority' is still asleep. But when it awakes all hell will break loose.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have never understood the diesel phobia. Cheapest fuel to make, can be made easily from Soybeans. Instead, we subsidize Ethanol, force diesel to have perfumed exhaust and low sulfur content. They are the most fuel-efficient engines.

Our industry runs on diesel, from trucking to trains.

This is just one more impediment and is about shutting down the economy, pure and simple.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Ca, started it. I have been on low use, 1000 miles a year or less on my international 4700 for 5 to 6 years now with the three of canceling the registration. I just bought a 5.9 cummins and Allison transmission I am going to install in my 1964 C-10 and be exempt from all that crap, I am also going to turn the engine up and spew spew spew. Toche.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our industry runs on diesel, from trucking to trains.
This clean air initiative started in the early 70's on every automobile. First was removing lead. Good move for sure and induction hardening or some other hard valve seat material it made possible. And so down a slippery slope we have gone for 50 years now to the auto engine of today.

But those environmentalists soon came to realize the autos were actually the smallest fish in the tank. It is the Diesel engine that is king
of all I.C. engines. So, by 2000 the plans were made to kill the diesel and therefore disrupt our economy. 2007 was the pivotal year when the reduced sulfur requirements made Diesel fuel more expensive than gasoline for the first time in liquid fuels. But it was the last two steps of the law that have really delt a heavy blow to the diesel, TIER 3 and TIER 4 Final have done the most damage of all to reliability and affordability. If you can control Diesel engines, you can control a nation any were on the planet. Europe Canada and the USA are all being harmed by this.

China laughs its way to the Bank while we suffer. Sounding familiar yet?

Last edited: