• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

One Second After

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone else read it? I picked it up on a Monday night and started reading. Finished it Tuesday... Couldn't put it down.

It makes you wonder. At the same time it makes you realize that whatever provisions you make now will not be lost.

After reading it, I wanted to go out and get another grocery cart full of food.

startrunning

"One Second After" was a good start. Research on line and reading government reports makes me think that this is possible. Iran coming out and stating that they are now a nuclear power doesn't make the world any safer. Faraday cages to protect electronics. A hand pump for a shallow well because I really like water. An old car will be my next new car.

startrunning

I wish that this were fiction. "One Second After" was about an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) that turns off our technically advance country. A nuclear weapon that explodes 25 - 300 miles above the surface of the earth will cause an EMP. Anything that uses computers and transistors that are not protected by faraday cages or something equal to it will get fried. Old tube radios could survive. Cars and trucks that don't have electronic ignition, that have a distributor caps and points could still work. Our society then tries to survive. It is not a short term outage. A high percentage of the population would not survive.
Local government, where I work as fireman have no idea about emp. Trying to open their eyes to this threat is my short term goal.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well most of my stuff would run. the newer cars would not. I have a spare computer stashed in the safe room so it would work but the network would be blowed to hell. As long as it don't affect ammo I am alright.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
This technology has been around awhile. We built it in to our first A Bomb on Japan. It is now a standard for all H-Bombs by all countries that have them. It is also a hell of a weapon by itself. The main advance is the range has grown over time. I will do more than shut down modern electronic ignitions but will also kill all starter motors on most automobiles as well as most things based on any form of electronics. Some older tube systems seem to be immune but not all. Electromagnetic pulses also occur in nature think sun spots.

startrunning

Well most of my stuff would run. the newer cars would not. I have a spare computer stashed in the safe room so it would work but the network would be blowed to hell. As long as it don't affect ammo I am alright.

A computer in a safe room that is powered off my still be toast unless the room is shielded and grounded. Faraday cage can protect electronics. I am still trying to find out more about faraday cages. I have heard that closed metal boxes so long that it item inside does not touch the metal. I have heard that a cage covered with copper or aluminum screen would work. Both needing to be grounded.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
A computer in a safe room that is powered off my still be toast unless the room is shielded and grounded. Faraday cage can protect electronics. I am still trying to find out more about faraday cages. I have heard that closed metal boxes so long that it item inside does not touch the metal. I have heard that a cage covered with copper or aluminum screen would work. Both needing to be grounded.
Well my room is buried 8 ft. underground and covered with steel decking capped with 5" of concrete. I have multiple grounds around my place including the well so i don't worry that much about it. Good ammo storage if it ever reaches that point will be more important than a computer anyway. Food,fuel and ammo and I will do alright for a good while.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As long as it don't affect ammo I am alright.
Just make sure your gun safe doesn't have an electronic lock... You'll also want your generator(s) protected.

For a quick faraday cage, use your microwave.

SShepherd

I was talking to the wife today about how even as we become more reliant on technology the weaker we become.
An EMP would really screw everyone-- how long do you think it would be before any radio stations would be broadcasting? What about power? A power surge from a solar flare blacked out parts of Canada a number of years back. Our power grid would be non exsistant from an EMP. Forget phones also--no cell phones, or even landlines.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yah about one second after we are hit with an EMP our own Nukes will be deployed to the country of origin. They would be glassed. We would have some problems for a few years but they would no longer exist forever!