• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Old man

loboloco

An old man my wife and I have been assisting for the last two years seems to have run his last race. Shortly after 7 pm he quit breathing and heart went thready and rapid. After appr 30 min with EMT's working on him, he was transported to the ER. Supervisor said it didn't look good for him.
Of 2 minds here. The man has been on dialysis for over five years, had his shoulder and his leg broken in the last 2 1/2 years. He was almost incapable of talking and was basically helpless. He had to be lifted in and out of bed, into and out of his chair, etc..... Not really any way to live.
Not really sure whether I hope he makes it this time, or goes home. Part of me hope he makes it, cause the old man is game. Another part wants for his pain and suffering to be over. Not sure if this is cold or not, but I hope the Great Spirit gives him some peace either way.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Tough call on which is best for him . I would not want to live like that . I am sure his path is already marked out by the Good Lord . Our paths in life are made when we are born . Its always tougher on the friends and love ones we leave behind .

Sounds like the path home is coming soon . God Bless .

Leni

No it is not cold. We treat our pets better than our elderly. It's about time that we asked them what they want. My mother in law wanted to live for a few more days. She did and passed peacefully at 92. Who knows what your friend wants. If only we could do what they want.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Sometimes there comes a point where it is just better to let them go. Medical science and technology is at the point where it can keep someone "alive" but without a life. Perhaps we should let them meet their maker with some sort of dignity. I know that sounds cold and cruel but over the last few years I have lost at least a couple of friends who suffered long and lingering deaths, living with pain for no good reason or purpose that I could tell.

loboloco

Vidar Sivertsen
Born 6 Nov 1938
Died 09 Jan 2013

Retired teacher. Survived cancer twice, had been on dialysis for five and a half years.
He was a tough old man who fought long and hard. may he Rest in Peace.
He was my friend. May he walk forever in the shining fields knowing neither hunger nor want.
I will miss him.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
He has found relief from the pain and passed into a better place. Sorry for your loss Jeff.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
may he spring to his feet & laugh & reunite with fellow souls. someone suffering on earth is not living & He took him from his pain. i'm sorry that you've lost him, though it seems you knew that this was better for him.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Vidar Sivertsen
Born 6 Nov 1938
Died 09 Jan 2013

Retired teacher. Survived cancer twice, had been on dialysis for five and a half years.
He was my friend. May he walk forever in the shining fields knowing neither hunger nor want.
I will miss him.

You have said a final farewell to a true friend.
My sympathies for your loss.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Vidar Sivertsen
Born 6 Nov 1938
Died 09 Jan 2013

I will miss him.

My condolences Lobo and sad but at least he isn't suffering any more.