• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ok I bought a 1404 thiokol that needs tons of work hope to not learn everything the hard way

Eric SW 48

so i have Many Many questions that i know someone out there has insights on and am hoping that they would be kind enough to share. I believe that I read that the master cylinders and maybe the slave cylinders can be order or purchase through Napa is that correct and if so does any one have part numbers. I have a v4 ford engine that is spiting oil out of the dip stick i am hoping that it is because the top of the engine is full of sludge i do not get any blow by out of the breather on the top of the engine, oil pressure is good and the engine runs strong with no smoke. do you think that i am just wishful in my assessment, or do i need to rebuild or replace the motor? Lastly does any one know if you are to pul the engine in one of these do you have to take the back of the cab off or do you pull it out of the door opening. also do you typically pull the motor and transmission as one or do you leave the belhousing and transmission in the unit.
Please don't worry about hurting my feelings any input will be useful

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You'll have to be patient (or just start searching above). This is obviously the 'off season' for most here, so activity is intermittent.

Edited for being an idiot! :ROFLMAO: I locked in on the SW48 and my brain shut everything else off!

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a 1402 which has a different engine but the drive train and running gear are the same. Go to the Snowcat General info, history, articles and manuals section where you can download a manual for that cat.
The steering master cylinders are from a 1961-67 Ford Econoline van. The napa number is 36067. You have to narrow down the sides so the levers will fit. The slave cylinders are clutch slaves from an International truck of the same vintage. They are made of Unobtainium. (None available) I bored mine out on a lathe and sleeved them with 1.375" .065 wall 4130 aircraft tubing bonded in with JB weld. See page 3 of my thread "The continuing saga of Niksons 1402 Imp sn 129" there is a lot of other stuff there that may be helpful too. See also "Thiokol Imp open top sn 129 by Nikson" which shows the extensive work the first owner did.
I don't know about a 1404, but I have to remove the engine through the door.
There was a post by Anthony Dodd who put a Toyota engine in his 1404.
Good luck. Check in often and post pictures.