• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Obama Proposes Free Community College Program

SShepherd

sound familiar ??

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/obama-proposes-free-community-college-program-n282706

The White House did say that if all states participated, that nine million students could benefit — saving on average $3,800 in tuition per year for a full-time student. That means the program could cost in the billions of dollars. In a Republican-led Congress, the proposal likely faces a tough legislative fight to be passed

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter

sound familiar ??

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/obama-proposes-free-community-college-program-n282706

The White House did say that if all states participated, that nine million students could benefit — saving on average $3,800 in tuition per year for a full-time student. That means the program could cost in the billions of dollars. In a Republican-led Congress, the proposal likely faces a tough legislative fight to be passed

TANSTAAFL!!
How is this a "free program" if you and I have to pay to send a passel of strangers' children to college? Either I don't have a
handle on basic economic facts, or Obama doesn't. And I don't believe I'm the one lacking in understanding here.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
So just what is Obama hoping to gain by being back on his campaign tour? He's a lame duck who has lost his charm long ago, as we saw the dwindling number of disciples at his events in 2014.

As for the free college education, without a specific plan how it's going to be paid for, he's just flapping his lying lips.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
To me it just looks like another attemp at buying votes for the left.

Another freebee for the unwashed masses to make them vote for Hillary or some other liberal.

With so many colledge grads out there flipping burgers, one has to wonder if that education has much value. The young in our land would jump at the chance to gain an education for free. Inturn it would propogandise that the Democrats are the party to be involved in..

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some states has programs like this and if a state does it, under their state laws, I have no real problem with it. It is their choice. Don't like it and you can move to a different stated.

But there is nothing in the US Constitution that suggests this is a Federal obligation or even something the Federal government should be remotely involved in. Therefore on a national level I have to oppose this.

Further, it seems to me that we have too many kids in college. Not enough in trade schools.

Kane

Although Hussein talks a big deal, he admits he has no idea how much this will cost. Or he actually knows the price tag, but is, as usual, unable to tell the truth.

In any event, the cost would be enormous; something America can ill afford.

Is it a good idea? Sure. Would it attract votes for Hillary? Sure. But America is broke. In fact, more than broke ... by the tune of going on twenty trillion dollars in debt by the time we can finally air out the White House. An incomprehensible number. A fucking HUGE number.

But the silly do-gooder liberals want to spend more. Who will they propose we unfairly tax this time?

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
thats why he and the idiot biden are in Tn today.

Tn is the ONLY state to already do this for Tn resident students ONLY. there are a few requirements, like GPA, criminal records, ect. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...jRFBcbtIGmtapukCvHBegjw&bvm=bv.83339334,d.eXY

Obama is trying to fool the rest of the country into thinking this was his idea.....

BTW, obama won ONE county is both the last 2 TN presidential elections, Selby county, where the ghetto of Memphis is located.

... and of course, the federal govt WILL eff it up.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some states has programs like this and if a state does it, under their state laws, I have no real problem with it. It is their choice. Don't like it and you can move to a different stated.

But there is nothing in the US Constitution that suggests this is a Federal obligation or even something the Federal government should be remotely involved in. Therefore on a national level I have to oppose this.

Further, it seems to me that we have too many kids in college. Not enough in trade schools.

There is nothing in the Constitution that says the feds should be involved in education at all.

It's time to abolish the Department of Education, the national student loan program, and any federal funding of any school.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
The question is, will congress pass this? Will Obama try to do this with his poison pen?

$4,000 per student X 9,000,000 students is $36,000,000,000. If we have to have this, we cut foreign aid by a corresponding amount. Charity begins at home.

SShepherd

sounds like the same thing he said when pushing barrycare

"it'll save you 2500 per family........."

"if every state participates"

we know not every state will, and we know that the price will probably increase when govt. gets involved.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
sounds like the same thing he said when pushing barrycare

"it'll save you 2500 per family........."

"if every state participates"

we know not every state will, and we know that the price will probably increase when govt. gets involved.

There is no probably to it. Costs will increase if the government gets more involved. Education costs have not decreased since the feds got into the education business. Nor has education results increased.

Like Obamacare, every state will not participate. Then the only solution will be to mandate participation.

The best recent example of government savings in operation is O Care. What we were supposed to get was reduced cost and better coverage. What we got was a web site at a billion dollars which did not work. That is more than the cost of Yahoo, Google, Facebook, and Twitter combined. All of which worked.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter

Absolutely dead on! Recent college grads can't find work in their field, or any work at all, while a good apprentice level
plumber or auto mechanic can write his own ticket anywhere.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm confused here. A recent study shows that college sophomores average a 10th grade reading level and sixth grade math skills. This from our 12 year(plus K) public education system. Should we not find other ways to cram a 12 years of education into twelve years than the lazy and expensive ideas spreading that lousy education out 2 or 3 more years.

How about we pass a law that basically state,,,"Here is your free education. It will give you all the tools you need to be an independent, self sufficient, intelligent and capable citizen of our nation. It is yours for the taking but,,,,, if you reject it, tough noogies, you are on your own."

The lefty lawyers in Congress can spread that out with verbage to be 2 or three thousand pages and convince everyone that the rich should pay for it.

Done and done! Everybody is happy and our kids can be kicked out of the nest at the age of 18 or so when Mom and Dad would like to have a life.:whistling:

SShepherd

http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/09/obamas-free-tuition-plan-is-a-subsidy-fo

"Remember, the blame for skyrocketing college costs has been laid squarely at the feet of bloating administrative staff in higher education. One study states from early 2014 states administrative staff led to a 28 percent boom in the higher education workforce, even in the middle of this recession (while faculty salaries remained fairly flat). Community colleges actually lost both part-time and full-time faculty members during the recession, but nevertheless gained an average of three administrative positions per 1,000 students."

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm confused here. A recent study shows that college sophomores average a 10th grade reading level and sixth grade math skills. This from our 12 year(plus K) public education system. Should we not find other ways to cram a 12 years of education into twelve years than the lazy and expensive ideas spreading that lousy education out 2 or 3 more years.

How about we pass a law that basically state,,,"Here is your free education. It will give you all the tools you need to be an independent, self sufficient, intelligent and capable citizen of our nation. It is yours for the taking but,,,,, if you reject it, tough noogies, you are on your own."

The lefty lawyers in Congress can spread that out with verbage to be 2 or three thousand pages and convince everyone that the rich should pay for it.

Done and done! Everybody is happy and our kids can be kicked out of the nest at the age of 18 or so when Mom and Dad would like to have a life.:whistling:

I can't believe I'm typing this.

Well said, Franc. :whistling:

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I read a lot of good meat here, but, it has to be part of a bigger picture.

We have given up so many jobs to other countries that I am not clear on what trade schools would prepare people for.

We have dumbed down the educational system to the point that the comments about college students that have not mastered high school skills is right on.

Government has made it easy for jobs to be shipped out of the country, selling out our own populace in the process.

Free education, including college, could be paid for if part of a program to bring jobs back here and give preference in hiring to american workers along with tax levies on foreign produced goods to pay for the costs.

Now, show me a congress / president that would do that and I will know that there is a heaven.

SShepherd

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/1...es-youre-going-see-repeat-saw-housing-market/

For years the federal government has been subsidizing loans, much like they did with houses ahead of the 2008 crash. This has led to increased tuition costs and lending to individuals who will more than likely never be able to pay back their student loans. The end result, according to Mark Cuban, will be a bursting of the debt bubble, a significant drop in college tuitions, and an outright collapse of America’s institution of higher learning:
College tuitions have exploded because of easy money guaranteed by Sallie Mae. So, if any student can borrow more and more money, and it’s guaranteed by the federal government, why wouldn’t the colleges take it all?
The problem is that bubble has led to over a trillion dollars in student loan debt, which is having a significant impact on the economy and it’s really holding us back in the economy’s ability to grow. It’s holding back housing, it’s holding back apartment building, it’s holding back car sales, it’s holding back clothing sales… anything that’s not an absolute necessity, kids can’t spend their money on.
That’s a real problem for the economy and I think that bubble is going to burst. I think it’s inevitable at some point there’ll be a cap on student loan guarantees and when that happens you’re going to see a repeat of what we saw in the housing market when easy credit for buying or flipping a house disappeared.We saw a collapse in the price of housing and we’re going to see the same collapse in the price of student tuition and that’s going to lead to colleges going out of business.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I think our institutions of higher learning are akin to sucking on a teat. The more milk is in the bag, the harder they suck!!
Mike