• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Not Seeing the "Value"

Rover’n

Two Kristi snowcats was apparently not enough. After looking for a long time, a couple of partners and I picked this up here in Helena. Got on it early and bought it solely upon mechanical examination and capabilities. Seller was a very good guy who got just what he was looking for. Brought the whole shebang home this evening w/o incident, thanks to good help and a thirty-foot trailer.

We have lots of good uses for this machine here in western Montana and are looking forward to many years of service.

We will open up a separate thread soon specific to this Tucker.

Attachments

• IMG_0486.MOV
    13.3 MB

PradoTDI

Two Kristi snowcats was apparently not enough. After looking for a long time, a couple of partners and I picked this up here in Helena. Got on it early and bought it solely upon mechanical examination and capabilities. Seller was a very good guy who got just what he was looking for. Brought the whole shebang home this evening w/o incident, thanks to good help and a thirty-foot trailer.

We have lots of good uses for this machine here in western Montana and are looking forward to many years of service.

Good to know someone around here got it and that it went to a good home! Maybe someday when I've got my Thiokol up and running we could meet up for a western Montana snowcat run.

Solrus

Join Montana snowcatters fb page please. Did he sell you groomer too?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Resurrecting the thread with this:

Holy Moly... $84.8K?

The listing details make it appear the seller is not particularly knowledgeable about it....

I wonder how far it will go with a 12 gallon fuel tank?

alryA

I don't see the value either.... But the BRP 6x6 we have on order will run as around 30k with accessories.. o_O

vintagebike

pretty sure the Home Depot ladder, the Lowes shower safety bars, the Walmart speakers , the Oreiley's lights and the Tractor Supply tool bins add a bunch to the value...

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Arlyn in post 68 and BcB in post 67 hit it right on the head. ( I feeeel )

Lets look at the market. given the want or need a snow cat. step back and look at the scenario.

There are no special operating characteristics or licensure needed for snow cats. I submit an example in airframe here: an endorsement to fly at night or in heavy weather. So comparing all airplanes will not work. ( there are certain requirements and rules for them ) I have a buddy who buys distressed planes and he services them and enjoys them for a bit and he is onto the next, Bigger faster better machine with greater accessories to feed his needs.

My point anyone can buy a snow cat so all of the ones available are OK to purchase. If a buyer wants a quality cat, the options are pay up for one fully prepared or buy new. 80K is 43% of a bottom of the barrel 4 idler no hydraulics 175" terra tracked tucker . ( seats TWO )
Pisten bully, Rabbit ( Italian), Prinoth are all in the conversation but You are not comparing apples to apples.

( ten people plus gear in most snow conditions and trailerable )

Can Dennis afford new planes, >? Sure if he would stop buying distressed ones and just ______insert________ BLAH BLAH BLAH_________ here.....
He doesn't want a new plane.

I have been tasked to find a pulling unit for a snow mobile club. equipment in the last 1.5 years has not doubled in value, It has gone up 4 fold.

IH scouts have exploded in value. And I don't mean a little. Try to buy a P pumped 12 V cummins 5.9 L diesel engine.

$.02

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if this is the same machine mentioned in post #27?

By the seller's own admission the condition is "poor, significant wear". It's described as a DMC 1200, which was chronologically after the Thiokol 1200 models, yet the tracks shown in the photos pre-date the Thiokol 1200 design.

When one disassembles something, it can still be challenging to put it all back together properly, even if the parts are carefully inventoried and labeled. But when someone else takes it apart, and especially when some parts are missing, it can be an epic nightmare.

Snowcat prices have risen substantially over the last several years, but even trying to factor that in, I truly don't see the value here...