• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

North Carolina County putting AR-15 rifles in schools for safety

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably not going to see this happen in New York, N.J., California or Illinois but in the rural south it seems lie a good idea. Pretty much common sense too.

Full story at the link above.

North Carolina County Putting AR-15s in All Schools After Mass Shootings

A California-legal AR-15 style rifle is displayed for sale at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, Calif., on June 5, 2021. (Patrick T. Fallon/AFP via Getty Images)
The school system in a North Carolina county is planning on putting AR-15-style rifles in emergency lockboxes in its six schools following a mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, earlier this year.
“We were able to put an AR-15 rifle and safes in all of our schools in the county,” Madison County Sheriff Buddy Harwood told the Asheville Citizen-Times about the plan. “We’ve also got breaching tools to go into those safes. We’ve got extra magazines with ammo in those safes.”
Harwood told the paper that he wants to ensure Madison County “deputies are prepared” in the event of a school shooting . . . “I do not want to have to run back out to the car to grab an AR, because that’s time lost. Hopefully, we’ll never need it, but I want my guys to be as prepared as prepared can be.”
As a firearms instructor, Harwood said that he’s not fond of having to place AR-15s in schools, but he stressed that he wants “the parents of Madison County to know we’re going to take every measure necessary to ensure our kids are safe in this school system.” . . .

Gunsrus

Keeping even one of the same kind of weapon that's led to the death of many children? I can see the government's thinking with its higher mental faculties. Let the parents and students see the weapon capable of killing scores of people used daily by the employees of the school. What a smart move.

What a crock of 💩

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Arming the staff with the same kind of weapon that's led to the death of many children? I can see the government's thinking with its higher mental faculties. Let the parents and students see the weapon capable of killing scores of people used daily by the employees of the school. What a smart move.

What a crock of 💩
Actually the sheriff is locking just one gun in a safe inside an office at each school. The school resource (police) officer would be able to access the gun, probably also the principal, and asst. principal. The general staff, teachers, etc would not be armed or have access.

Gunsrus

Actually the sheriff is locking just one gun in a safe inside an office at each school. The school resource (police) officer would be able to access the gun, probably also the principal, and asst. principal. The general staff, teachers, etc would not be armed or have access.
My mistake. I made an accurate reference to the subject just now. Thanks for highlighting it.

I don't think the idea of the establishment having a symbol of what's killed children will sit very well with the parents. If my kid had been caught in the line of fire, I wouldn't want even one specimen of the weapon to be allowed on the premesis. Who knows if the police officer in charge of it would be overpowered by a would be assailant.

power1

I like the idea but I also like the idea of a concealed carry teacher. Why are schools shot up so much? The shooter knows there isn't going to be anyone with a weapon on site.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
My mistake. I made an accurate reference to the subject just now. Thanks for highlighting it.

I don't think the idea of the establishment having a symbol of what's killed children will sit very well with the parents. If my kid had been caught in the line of fire, I wouldn't want even one specimen of the weapon to be allowed on the premesis. Who knows if the police officer in charge of it would be overpowered by a would be assailant.
If my kid was caught in the line of fire, he needs to be able to return that fire.

Gunsrus

I like the idea but I also like the idea of a concealed carry teacher. Why are schools shot up so much? The shooter knows there isn't going to be anyone with a weapon on site.
I'd say the teachers should carry concealed weapons, which they can use in close quarters. The art of shooting in doors is to use a shorter weapon so you save time aiming it and can maneuver more easily. A smaller weapon also prevents an attacker from getting as solid a grip on the weapon as he would on a gun with a longer frame.

kc3tec

Attitude and competence are key factors here.
You dont want a rambo attitude but you need a steel determination and a level head.
Also high quality training from a police standpoint.
Knowing when not to shoot is just as important as knowing how and when to do so.

Same thing with hunting, an incompetent hunter is a danger to everyone within the maximum range of the rifle.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Tha gun is not a "symbol." It is a defensive "Weapon." against a true threat to life and safety of the children.

Most importantly it changes the "soft target," to one that, if attacked, bites back

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tha gun is not a "symbol." It is a defensive "Weapon." against a true threat to life and safety of the children.

Most importantly it changes the "soft target," to one that, if attacked, bites back
Agreed.

It should be noted, again, that the gun is locked away, but on property, and accessible by trained security officers.

So it is not like its out there for some random untrained teacher to grab.

On staff officer can go retrieve the gun and engage a lot quicker than a 911 call can bring help.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Those of us that are of my age, we remember that in the 50's and sixties, most of our schools had a police officer that was armed. Further, our High Schools generally had a gun range, a shooting team and many kids had rifles in their lockers, or pick-up,
Hanging in the real window no less.

In other words, our schools were NOT soft targets.

How many of us remember all those mass shootings of innocents back then???????

Hmmm.....

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Those of us that are of my age, we remember that in the 50's and sixties, most of our schools had a police officer that was armed. Further, our High Schools generally had a gun range, a shooting team and many kids had rifles in their lockers, or pick-up,
Hanging in the real window no less.

In other words, our schools were NOT soft targets.

How many of us remember all those mass shootings of innocents back then???????

Hmmm.....
My old dodge 4x4 still has a gun rack in the back window. Likely I would be arrested here if I actually put a gun on it though.

Gunsrus

If my kid was caught in the line of fire, he needs to be able to return that fire.
True, I don't deny that the instinct of self-defense must be respected. In the moment, it must be acted on. The thing is, here in Spain, we don't sell guns to the public. As a result, there are no shooting incidents at any of our schools. Maybe Canada has banned the sales of guns because they want to achieve the same success my country does.

kc3tec

True, I don't deny that the instinct of self-defense must be respected. In the moment, it must be acted on. The thing is, here in Spain, we don't sell guns to the public. As a result, there are no shooting incidents at any of our schools. Maybe Canada has banned the sales of guns because they want to achieve the same success my country does.
The major difference between countries is how strict the laws are and how stiff the punishment will be.
Too many people are concerned over a prisoners rights rather than what they were imprisoned for.
Thats why a prisoner will get much better health care than a veteran who has never seen combat.
That is one thing that needs changed.
No more of this pampering criminals bullshit.