New venture for me .......

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
TX buddy is big into air rifles and I went and bought the hottest springer air rifle out today, the Gamo Swarm Maxxim. It throws a 20grn 22 caliber pellet at 950fps, the .177 caliber does 1300fps. I put a Vortex 6x18 scope on it and it’s hard not to be impressed. Off a rest this thing holds 1” easily at 35yd. I’ve decimated the Grackle population feasting on my bird feeders from the front porch!

Attachments

• BABE4602-758A-4A0F-ADED-97F10C990FDF.jpeg
    BABE4602-758A-4A0F-ADED-97F10C990FDF.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 33
  • A0350F82-2347-4524-9AED-EAF276B6EFF4.jpeg
    A0350F82-2347-4524-9AED-EAF276B6EFF4.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 356DA35C-1776-4C94-9E61-1AAA26594B2E.jpeg
    356DA35C-1776-4C94-9E61-1AAA26594B2E.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 33

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm a fan of air rifles. Nice for plinking for the whole family. Quiet and almost cost free.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn’t realize a conventional scope doesn’t work on these rifles due to recoil. Something about reverse recoil and it makes a conventional scope mush, has to be a “shockproof” scope.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been tempted to buy one of those many a time. How would you say the noise is compared to a silenced .22 shooting regular loads?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. Didn't your rifle already come with a scope?

Did you get the .22 or .177? I stick with the .177 myself.

What are you using for ammo? I got 250-round tins of many styles (most manufactured by Gamo). I do know some of the wad-cutter types are difficult to load. My rifles like the domed ammo much better.

I have a "Gamo SOCOM tactical whisper" which is similar to yours. My son has pretty much taken that one over. Great shooter.

My "go to" is a Remington Nitro Piston. Nice rifle but damn heavy. It weighs about 7 pounds.

I also have a pair of Hammerli Storm Elite's. Nice rifles, very accurate, no scopes.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How would you say the noise is compared to a silenced .22 shooting regular loads?
I don't have a silenced .22 to make that comparison, but...
For an idea, I just dropped a full aerosol can in it's upright position from waist height onto the short nap carpet I have in my office (on a concrete base). That's about the sound it makes.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
With sub sonic .22 match ammo, the rifle silencer combo I have lets me hear the striker fall. Mine is based on a 3" piece of PVC pipe and 3 chambers.

Air rifles make more sense to me. Fire arms are usually more heavily regulated than air rifles in most places any way. Not to mention I think they will not to the damage a firearm will do if a shot goes astray.

My friend swears by his .25 caliber. Says it is an easy 50-75 yard gun.

Regards, Kirk

Bannedjoe

I need to get a bi-pod or tripod for my pellet rifle.
It's a Ruger Air magnum and the SOB is most likely the heaviest armament I own.

I was watching a youtoob of a guy inside a garbage processing warehouse picking off rats.
I want what he has.
The FX rifle is pretty impressive starting at about $1500 and his night vision infra red scopes start at around $5K.

here it is!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjlCxpCFWTQ&t=2s[/ame]

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been tempted to buy one of those many a time. How would you say the noise is compared to a silenced .22 shooting regular loads?

I’d say it a hair louder than a silenced 22

Yep. Didn't your rifle already come with a scope?

Did you get the .22 or .177? I stick with the .177 myself.

What are you using for ammo? I got 250-round tins of many styles (most manufactured by Gamo). I do know some of the wad-cutter types are difficult to load. My rifles like the domed ammo much better.

I have a "Gamo SOCOM tactical whisper" which is similar to yours. My son has pretty much taken that one over. Great shooter.

My "go to" is a Remington Nitro Piston. Nice rifle but damn heavy. It weighs about 7 pounds.

I also have a pair of Hammerli Storm Elite's. Nice rifles, very accurate, no scopes.

It did come with a 3x9 but not a quality scope, I put it on an old Marlin 60w 22 I had laying around, see the last picture.

I bought the 22 and shooting a Gamo 21grn domed pellet. The guns are fussy and like certain pellets.

The Swarm come with a 10 shot magazine, no load issues. Just pump and shoot until you get to 11, I have 5 mags now .... :smile:

With the 6x18 Vortex scope and extra mags, I have about $500 in the rifle