• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New venture for me .......

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
TX buddy is big into air rifles and I went and bought the hottest springer air rifle out today, the Gamo Swarm Maxxim. It throws a 20grn 22 caliber pellet at 950fps, the .177 caliber does 1300fps. I put a Vortex 6x18 scope on it and it’s hard not to be impressed. Off a rest this thing holds 1” easily at 35yd. I’ve decimated the Grackle population feasting on my bird feeders from the front porch!

Attachments

• BABE4602-758A-4A0F-ADED-97F10C990FDF.jpeg
    BABE4602-758A-4A0F-ADED-97F10C990FDF.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 144
  • A0350F82-2347-4524-9AED-EAF276B6EFF4.jpeg
    A0350F82-2347-4524-9AED-EAF276B6EFF4.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 356DA35C-1776-4C94-9E61-1AAA26594B2E.jpeg
    356DA35C-1776-4C94-9E61-1AAA26594B2E.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 146

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm a fan of air rifles. Nice for plinking for the whole family. Quiet and almost cost free.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn’t realize a conventional scope doesn’t work on these rifles due to recoil. Something about reverse recoil and it makes a conventional scope mush, has to be a “shockproof” scope.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been tempted to buy one of those many a time. How would you say the noise is compared to a silenced .22 shooting regular loads?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. Didn't your rifle already come with a scope?

Did you get the .22 or .177? I stick with the .177 myself.

What are you using for ammo? I got 250-round tins of many styles (most manufactured by Gamo). I do know some of the wad-cutter types are difficult to load. My rifles like the domed ammo much better.

I have a "Gamo SOCOM tactical whisper" which is similar to yours. My son has pretty much taken that one over. Great shooter.

My "go to" is a Remington Nitro Piston. Nice rifle but damn heavy. It weighs about 7 pounds.

I also have a pair of Hammerli Storm Elite's. Nice rifles, very accurate, no scopes.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How would you say the noise is compared to a silenced .22 shooting regular loads?
I don't have a silenced .22 to make that comparison, but...
For an idea, I just dropped a full aerosol can in it's upright position from waist height onto the short nap carpet I have in my office (on a concrete base). That's about the sound it makes.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
With sub sonic .22 match ammo, the rifle silencer combo I have lets me hear the striker fall. Mine is based on a 3" piece of PVC pipe and 3 chambers.

Air rifles make more sense to me. Fire arms are usually more heavily regulated than air rifles in most places any way. Not to mention I think they will not to the damage a firearm will do if a shot goes astray.

My friend swears by his .25 caliber. Says it is an easy 50-75 yard gun.

Regards, Kirk

Bannedjoe

I need to get a bi-pod or tripod for my pellet rifle.
It's a Ruger Air magnum and the SOB is most likely the heaviest armament I own.

I was watching a youtoob of a guy inside a garbage processing warehouse picking off rats.
I want what he has.
The FX rifle is pretty impressive starting at about $1500 and his night vision infra red scopes start at around $5K.

here it is!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjlCxpCFWTQ&t=2s[/ame]

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been tempted to buy one of those many a time. How would you say the noise is compared to a silenced .22 shooting regular loads?

I’d say it a hair louder than a silenced 22

Yep. Didn't your rifle already come with a scope?

Did you get the .22 or .177? I stick with the .177 myself.

What are you using for ammo? I got 250-round tins of many styles (most manufactured by Gamo). I do know some of the wad-cutter types are difficult to load. My rifles like the domed ammo much better.

I have a "Gamo SOCOM tactical whisper" which is similar to yours. My son has pretty much taken that one over. Great shooter.

My "go to" is a Remington Nitro Piston. Nice rifle but damn heavy. It weighs about 7 pounds.

I also have a pair of Hammerli Storm Elite's. Nice rifles, very accurate, no scopes.

It did come with a 3x9 but not a quality scope, I put it on an old Marlin 60w 22 I had laying around, see the last picture.

I bought the 22 and shooting a Gamo 21grn domed pellet. The guns are fussy and like certain pellets.

The Swarm come with a 10 shot magazine, no load issues. Just pump and shoot until you get to 11, I have 5 mags now .... :smile:

With the 6x18 Vortex scope and extra mags, I have about $500 in the rifle