• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

new to me, 1977 Tucker 1344 UPdate

pooreds

Looking and Running great after nine year nap getting beat up by snow falling from a fir tree. New headlights, LED under dash light, rear sprockets and guides, reinforced hood and rood with more 3/4" arched tubing. all new hyd hose, brake caliper, master/slave cylinder etc.

Attachments

• tucker head lights .jpg
    tucker head lights .jpg
    189 KB · Views: 406
  • tucker LED lighting.jpg
    tucker LED lighting.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 433
  • tucker hood braces.jpg
    tucker hood braces.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 415
  • tucker roof hoops.jpg
    tucker roof hoops.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 411
  • tucker spkts installed.jpg
    tucker spkts installed.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 454

ghase1

I need to straighten out a dent on the top surface, I saw your reinforcement photo, and like the idea. Had some snow slide off the roof last winter and land on it. Didn't get down to the meadow prior to the first snow! Look forward to meeting you in person! Dave told me that he bought your Spryte.
Grant.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That came out great! Does the bottom fold up for more cargo space? If not you could put a spacer bar across the bottom of the back cushion to give a slight 'recline' feel so it doesn't feel so 90* to passengers.

pooreds

i am going to put a angle to the back rest. I spaced the bottom cushion to allow the back cushion bottom to get angled out a bit. going to wait on making the bottom cushion foldable.

pooreds

Ed,
Looks great!
Grant
Hey Grant, does your Tucker start immediately after it has sat for more than two weeks? mine cranks for awhile, dont like it. after that, it starts on the first crank over a weekend. it looks like it originally had an electric fuel pump, it doesn't now.

ghase1

Hi Ed,
Thought of you (and Ed Z), today! I had tried to start my Tucker on Monday,11/9, and the battery wouldn't do it even though it was charged on Sunday and the battery was about two years old. I took a quick day trip back to SHR today and installed a new battery and it started fairly quickly. I drove it down to the parking area. Mine used to have an electric fuel pump as well. I would say that I have to crank it a little bit after sitting for a longer period of time, but no longer than I would expect from a carburetor engine on a cold day!
One of these days we will meet in person! and talk Tuckers!
Grant

pooreds

did the electric fuel pump make a difference? i was going to put an Optima battery in the Tucker, but I'm trying a Bosch instead, something like 900 cca. got a deal on it! So I drove it for the first time Thursday, up and down Ponderosa, everything seemed ok. It doesn't ride as nice as the Thiokol, a little bouncy going slow. I'll be at SHR for thanksgiving.

ghase1

Ed,
I picked up an Interstate, from Costco. I have a group 34, it has 800cca. I tried to warranty the old one at CarQuest, but I lost the receipt and they would not do it without the receipt. Yea it was a bumpy/rough ride with just a little snow down Skyline. I won't be able to get up there again until after Thanksgiving, at least as of now. Where is your "home base"?. I'm in Alamo, by Walnut Creek.
Grant

pooreds

Costco has great pricing on Interstate, the Interstate in my Willy's I bought in 2002. still working great. Home base is Folsom.

zspryte

Site Supporter
Install a good electric pump with a good filter and make sure the carb float is set correctly.

If my machine sits for more than one week, I have to run the starter for 5 to 8 seconds to fill the carb bowl. On the second try, it fires right up. I added a prime button to avoid having to run the starter. Now, a few seconds on the prime button, full choke and she fires right up.

If it sits for two or three days, it does requires a few seconds of prime. I used to think I had a carb or fuel line leak, but the carb has a vent tube, maybe 3/8" diameter, to the atomosphere from the bowl. With that vent and the dry air we have, the gas just evaporates away like candy in a kids hand.

My pump sits at the lowest point in the fuel path and has had water accumulate in it's bottom when it wasn't run for a long time. Position your pump to avoid this situation if you can. I killed three cheap pumps before I figured it out.

pooreds

Install a good electric pump with a good filter and make sure the carb float is set correctly.

If my machine sits for more than one week, I have to run the starter for 5 to 8 seconds to fill the carb bowl. On the second try, it fires right up. I added a prime button to avoid having to run the starter. Now, a few seconds on the prime button, full choke and she fires right up.

If it sits for two or three days, it does requires a few seconds of prime. I used to think I had a carb or fuel line leak, but the carb has a vent tube, maybe 3/8" diameter, to the atomosphere from the bowl. With that vent and the dry air we have, the gas just evaporates away like candy in a kids hand.

My pump sits at the lowest point in the fuel path and has had water accumulate in it's bottom when it wasn't run for a long time. Position your pump to avoid this situation if you can. I killed three cheap pumps before I figured it out.
thanks Ed, I'll have to check out your prime button. I do have a real nice electric pump i'm not using anymore, i should have installed before the weather got cold. are you in Sky High thanksgiving?

ghase1

Hey Ed!
I was @SHR today for a day trip to retrieve 2 snowmobiles that need some attention. I went by your place and left a copy of the manual I had mentioned. I went to FedEx office and photocopied what I had. I put it in an envlope and left it on your front mad. I put a block on top to retain it. I took a picture of Ed Z's cat, your's and mine, since they are parked next to each other. I'll have to figure out how to post photos!
See you soon!
Grant

pooreds

very cool , thank you so much. I took a pic two weeks ago... does it look like this??

Attachments

• sno cats.jpg
    sno cats.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 90