• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New to Ham & looking for advice.

Han&Turkey327

Hi all, I started getting into ham over 35 years ago then my life changed directions, now I'm back. I'm taking my technician exam later this week and have a 2m/70cm radio set on order. I'm interested in making some antennas (for up at camp, house, & portable, etc) and wondering what at minimum equipment I'll need for tuning and analyzing them. As far as budget it's super tight. I was hoping for recommendations on kits that I can build on a budget. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ham&Turkey327

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok, at the first I'd say don't worry too much. today's equipment is more self protecting than in years past. Use cookbook antenna designs and you be fine. Once you start getting the radios squared away, I'd look for a old fashioned bird (TM) watt meter with the right elements you need. SK sales, hamfests etc. While more expensive (even used) at first, the ability to add elements as you find them makes it a solid purchase for a long time. If you really want to build something I would do a field strength meter. The more the radiated power the better.

I've done RF comm for 40 years as a living, so the ham aspect wasn't a thing. I retired last week, so maybe I will become more active.

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Honestly the Spanish Iberico is amazing. We buy a whole Iberia every other year. It is a dry cured ham, very strong flavor. Best eaten in very thin slices. Cost is outrageous to buy a quality ham but it is worth it! We have a commercial stand and it sits on our breakfast bar, under a cheese cloth, air drying as we eat through it. It takes weeks to eat a full leg and the whole experience is amazing.

You may want to learn about the various grades of Ibérico ham. We have spent months in Spain, and their ham is something that is hard to compare to other hams. The German dry aged hams are good, very good, but the Spanish hams are astounding.. Very intense flavors. Very different than the sweet 'city hams' that are popular in the USA.

Intersting article on the Spanish hams that helps explain the differences: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/18/guide-jamon-iberico-spanish-ham

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Honestly the Spanish Iberico is amazing.
This whole discussion (HAM) meat vs (HAM) radio isn't Kosher. I prefer the cured hams of my childhood (Middle TN USA) where they were room temperature stable for a couple of years if need be. There is a market out here (Oregon, USA) called 'Market of Choice' I refer to it as "Market of Paycheck". The specialty meat section is amazing, though pricey. When one is willing to forgo quantity for quality the world opens up to new tastes.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I couldn’t resist

German Speck is a similar intense, dry cured ham like the Iberico ham

Bunch of guys in my shooting group did a group buy on Beofong hand held units. Tried to get me in on it. I was tempted. But I prefer edible ham

kc3tec

Hi all, I started getting into ham over 35 years ago then my life changed directions, now I'm back. I'm taking my technician exam later this week and have a 2m/70cm radio set on order. I'm interested in making some antennas (for up at camp, house, & portable, etc) and wondering what at minimum equipment I'll need for tuning and analyzing them. As far as budget it's super tight. I was hoping for recommendations on kits that I can build on a budget. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ham&Turkey327
There is also kit building, dont underestimate the importance of a proper antenna , get the arrl antenna handbook.
4sqrp group has some easy kits and surprisingly good gear that easy on a budget.
Qrpguys, and qrpme are good sites as well.and lets not neglect kitsandparts.com and qrplabs.

Those are just a few sites off hand, but there are many more out there.

Hope this helps.
73 Ted