• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Jeep!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
What a deal. It is getting worse dealing with these car dealers. Almost 12 hours at the dealership. They are open 24/7 until Jan 2 pushing rigs out the door as fast as they can. 7 Grand right off MSRP but we fought tooth and nail over their offer for my wife's Sonata. I fought like hell for 12 Grand and they would only offer 10. Walked out twice and they chased me down and after the second time we settled on 11 Grand.

The first Cherokee we test drove had issues with the tranny. The salesman insisted if was nothing and it would take a while for the computer to "learn" my drive style and all would be well. I asked him if I had "I'm fucking stupid" written on my forehead. He did not appreciate that and went and got his boss to tell him he was done with me. :clap: His boss asked me what I wanted to do? Wat? Let's try out the red one and see how it drives. It ran perfect. The red one had a 2.0L turbo engine, 280HP and 395 ft/lb's of torque. Engine has lots of balls and responsive as hell. I like it. Supposed to get 31 on a trip which is exceptional for a 4800 lb curb weight SUV. We'll see about that. Jeeps are heavy vehicles. The LED headlights were awesome driving home in the dark.

I had to drive back home and back (56 miles round trip) because I forgot to remove the freeze on my credit. Passwords and pin numbers in my safe don't you know.

Finally we took it home and wifey loves it.

Me? Still driving the Ranger. If getting a new Ranger involves even half of this bullshit, I will be driving the 05 for a while. :th_lmao:

jeep.jpg

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Thank you PG. Brenda is thrilled with it. She loves the color. She has had quite a Christmas and she deserves it putting up with me. :th_lmao:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
That's a beaut there Butch.

The new Cherokee JEEPS are quite special and very reliable.

I wish I could say the same about the 2005 model my wife bought last November. It's been in the shop since December 1st.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice looking brand spanking new jeep. Congrats to your wife. Way to stick with it t get the deal you could live with. I love the willy's too. Very kewl indeed.

Bannedjoe

Congrats!
We just picked up a 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, and we love the hell out of it.
Even though it's a few years old, it's the newest car I've ever had.
I never realized how cold my ass was until we got this thing with heated seats.
Indeed, even though these are hardly Jeeps anymore, they are quite special.

I hate dealerships though.
Where else can you go to buy something and have such a difficult time doing so?
We had to do the never mind, see ya, a couple times too until we could finally make a deal.
And there's no sense whatsoever trying to trade something in, they won't give you but pennies on the dollar.

Congrats again!

Attachments

• IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 109

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
The trouble with the Sonata, among other things, we were getting periodic check engine lights for various codes with the transaxle. It would act up periodically going into some sort of limp mode and then straighten out for a while.

Had it checked, codes read and a local mechanic advised, given the year just to dump it and move on. A private sale, after coming clean on the issues would have been an automatic see ya later and rightfully so. I would never have bought it after hearing that.

Yes, these are not the same Jeeps as my 67 Wagoneer or 73 Commando and thank God for that!!! They were great in their day, but they both make my 05 Ranger look like a Mercedes. :th_lmao:

I love the fact that the Cherokee is a very heavy vehicle, curb weight around 4800 pounds. Most likely the heaviest in their class. Even slightly heavier than a Toyota 4Runner which has a truck based chassis.

Bannedjoe

Also, I have a few tips for you if you'd like to learn a few tricks.
One is to disable the autostart/stop function permanently, the other is to disable that annoying seat belt chime.
I've done this to both my Jeep and my Father's.

Personally, I don't like the idea of my car turning on and off as it pleases.
I'm also a firm believer in that once something is running, leave it running until you're truly ready to shut it off.
Also that second it takes to restart could be awfully costly in a left turn across oncoming traffic or something else.

Seat belt chime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7kRL7jy6k&t=9s

Stop/start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDkGHI-x3jE&t=434s

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
One is to disable the autostart/stop function permanently, the other is to disable that annoying seat belt chime.

I'm also a firm believer in that once something is running, leave it running until you're truly ready to shut it off.
Also that second it takes to restart could be awfully costly in a left turn across oncoming traffic or something else.

Seat belt chime:

Stop/start:

Thank you Joe. Automatic Start Stop. Also call ASS. Hmmmmm.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Seat belt chime:

Stop/start:

A couple or recent rental cars have had that feature. I HATE IT!

A Bendix starter motor and ring gear only have so many cycles. I see a real issue with starter motor failures. You're at a stop ling and the starter fails,,,WHAT,,,DO,,, YOU,,,DO?

Bannedjoe

A Bendix starter motor and ring gear only have so many cycles. I see a real issue with starter motor failures. You're at a stop ling and the starter fails,,,WHAT,,,DO,,, YOU,,,DO?

I read something where they addressed the starter, and said they put in a heavy duty starter that was tested to take X many more starts than a regular starter.
Yeah, well if they have that tech, why don't they apply it to all vehicles?
I suppose they'll have to if ASS comes in all new cars these days.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Don't get me started on that stupid start stop feature. All fine and dandy when it works. But at 50k kms, I was sitting at a red light with my foot on the brake on the highway. The engine shut off. When the light turned green, everyone else left and got up to 90km. I let my foot off the brake which is supposed to restart the engine. Wrong. Instead of starting, a bunch of warning lights started flashing on the dash. I had to shut the truck off manually, take the key out of the ignition, then restart it. By the time I did that, I had 2 lanes of traffic coming up from behind at full highway speeds.

What happened was the starter was worn out prematurely from all the starts and stops. Total BS for a 2 year old vehicle. Now, every time I start the truck, I immediately hit the off button on the dash to bypass that stupid feature.

And when I was using it, I didn't notice one damned bit of difference in the fuel mileage. That feature is only there to appease the greenie weenie tree hugger environmentalists. Nothing more.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

Blame the gov't, not Jeep. In order to meet mandated CAFE standards in this application, the ASS was needed.

Someone has marketed a device that plugs into the OBDII port.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/

Joe, your fix is good, but it disables the remote engine start.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't get me started on that stupid start stop feature. All fine and dandy when it works. But at 50k kms, I was sitting at a red light with my foot on the brake on the highway. The engine shut off. When the light turned green, everyone else left and got up to 90km. I let my foot off the brake which is supposed to restart the engine. Wrong. Instead of starting, a bunch of warning lights started flashing on the dash. I had to shut the truck off manually, take the key out of the ignition, then restart it. By the time I did that, I had 2 lanes of traffic coming up from behind at full highway speeds.

What happened was the starter was worn out prematurely from all the starts and stops. Total BS for a 2 year old vehicle. Now, every time I start the truck, I immediately hit the off button on the dash to bypass that stupid feature.

And when I was using it, I didn't notice one damned bit of difference in the fuel mileage. That feature is only there to appease the greenie weenie tree hugger environmentalists. Nothing more.

Check out that link in my last post. They make one of those gizmos for your truck.

Bannedjoe

Blame the gov't, not Jeep. In order to meet mandated CAFE standards in this application, the ASS was needed.

No. It doesn't.
At least not on my 2016, and my old man's 2017.
I have the cherokee, and he has the grand cherokee.
I start my car from inside the house all the time using the keyfob.

Disconnect the wire, and give it a try.
Nothing to lose.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am surprised there is not a switch where you can choose to have the auto start stop feature working or turn it off. Not having a switch like that would make me think twice about buying the vehicle. Thankfully there appears to be 3rd party solutions you guys have found.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I am surprised there is not a switch where you can choose to have the auto start stop feature working or turn it off. Not having a switch like that would make me think twice about buying the vehicle. Thankfully there appears to be 3rd party solutions you guys have found.

There is a switch on Jeeps and Rams. GM, no. However, the default position is on so every time the vehicle is started, the switch must be pressed again.

That gizmo defeats that and the stop feature will always default to the last position it was put in so off will always stay off.

My wife said it was not an issue for her as long as there was a switch, so happy wife, happy life. :thumbup:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

I ALREADY KNOW WHO'S FAULT THIS KAKAMAIMEE CRAP IS.

But thanks for the info on defeating the system. It's bad enough at traffic lights but impossibly annoying in rush hour stop and go traffic. Cathy's 2003 minivan is beginning to be a problem so we may well be looking at the Pacifica again.

I hate this feature and will find a way to defeat it. Thanks for your suggestions and that of Bannedjoe

Bannedjoe

There's a bunch of other crap I've turned off as well.
Most of it can be done through the Uconnect system.

The automatic emergency brake?
Nope, don't need that. I'll decide when I want my emergency brake to come on.
Nothing quite as frustrating as starting to back your car out, and it doesn't move because the brake set itself. I turned that off.

Another one, the automatic door locks.
This is the feature that as soon as you hit 15mph, the doors lock.
The only time I lock my doors is when I leave my car in a parking lot.

There will be those who argue this.
I don't have any kids, so I don't have to worry about them opening the doors while I'm going down the road.
And if I did have kids who were stupid enough to do that, well, let's just say I don't need kids that stupid.

I think if a person gets in a wreck and is incapacitated, it might be nice, and quicker for responders to open the doors for a rescue if they're not locked.
If I lived in the ghetto or NYC or something, I might want my doors locked at all times, but I don't.

There was a few other things I had to change too, but they're not coming to mind at the moment.

But don't get me wrong, other than a handful of unnecessary safety and feel good features, I love my new Jeep.
It's a hell of a nice full time 4 wheel drive car. More bells and whistles than any car I've ever owned.
On the same note, $30K is about $25K more than I've ever spent on a car in my life.
But being almost 60, I think it's time to own something fully warrantied and dependable that isn't 20 years old with over 100,000 mile on it.

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
There's a bunch of other crap I've turned off as well.
Most of it can be done through the Uconnect system.

The automatic emergency brake?
Nope, don't need that. I'll decide when I want my emergency brake to come on.
Nothing quite as frustrating as starting to back your car out, and it doesn't move because the brake set itself. I turned that off.

Another one, the automatic door locks.
This is the feature that as soon as you hit 15mph, the doors lock.
The only time I lock my doors is when I leave my car in a parking lot.

There will be those who argue this.
I don't have any kids, so I don't have to worry about them opening the doors while I'm going down the road.
And if I did have kids who were stupid enough to do that, well, let's just say I don't need kids that stupid.

I think if a person gets in a wreck and is incapacitated, it might be nice, and quicker for responders to open the doors for a rescue if they're not locked.
If I lived in the ghetto or NYC or something, I might want my doors locked at all times, but I don't.

There was a few other things I had to change too, but they're not coming to mind at the moment.

But don't get me wrong, other than a handful of unnecessary safety and feel good features, I love my new Jeep.
It's a hell of a nice full time 4 wheel drive car. More bells and whistles than any car I've ever owned.
On the same note, $30K is about $25K more than I've ever spent on a car in my life.
But being almost 60, I think it's time to own something fully warrantied and dependable that isn't 20 years old with over 100,000 mile on it.

Been snowing, freezing rain here last few days so I have not taken wifey out and do some of those settings you are referring to but I saw that in the book. I did manage to program the garage door opener for her and need to program the auto adjust seats as well.

I ordered her the full complement of WeatherTech mats including the rear cargo one and today I need to call and get the Jeep a Wool-Wax undercoating. I am not a great fan of lanolin based undercoating, but that is the one she likes and that is the one she shall get.

She also would like the rear cargo area tonneau cover for her shopping trips with her mother so I need to get after that as well.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I ALREADY KNOW WHO'S FAULT THIS KAKAMAIMEE CRAP IS.

But thanks for the info on defeating the system. It's bad enough at traffic lights but impossibly annoying in rush hour stop and go traffic. Cathy's 2003 minivan is beginning to be a problem so we may well be looking at the Pacifica again.

I hate this feature and will find a way to defeat it. Thanks for your suggestions and that of Bannedjoe

I did some research and discovered that the wiring for the switch to turn off and on the start stop feature is part of the canbus system so there is no defeating it unless one is good with hacking the ECU. That is essentially what this brainiac did with the gizmo, hack the computer and trick it into believing something different.

I too hate it and will be getting that gizmo when the dust settles and mother has all her add ons she would like. :thumbup::thumbup:

Bannedjoe

I did some research and discovered that the wiring for the switch to turn off and on the start stop feature is part of the canbus system so there is no defeating it unless one is good with hacking the ECU. That is essentially what this brainiac did with the gizmo, hack the computer and trick it into believing something different.

I too hate it and will be getting that gizmo when the dust settles and mother has all her add ons she would like. :thumbup::thumbup:

Maybe it's different on your car, but removing the small connector from the proper battery only tells the computer that there's not enough power in the secondary battery to operate the stop start, although the secondary continues to get its normal charge.
Whatever avenue you take, I think disabling actually makes the car safer.
IMO