New Jeep!

TiredRetired

Mr Lovable
SUPER Site Supporter
There's a bunch of other crap I've turned off as well.
Most of it can be done through the Uconnect system.

The automatic emergency brake?
Nope, don't need that. I'll decide when I want my emergency brake to come on.
Nothing quite as frustrating as starting to back your car out, and it doesn't move because the brake set itself. I turned that off.

Another one, the automatic door locks.
This is the feature that as soon as you hit 15mph, the doors lock.
The only time I lock my doors is when I leave my car in a parking lot.

There will be those who argue this.
I don't have any kids, so I don't have to worry about them opening the doors while I'm going down the road.
And if I did have kids who were stupid enough to do that, well, let's just say I don't need kids that stupid.

I think if a person gets in a wreck and is incapacitated, it might be nice, and quicker for responders to open the doors for a rescue if they're not locked.
If I lived in the ghetto or NYC or something, I might want my doors locked at all times, but I don't.

There was a few other things I had to change too, but they're not coming to mind at the moment.

But don't get me wrong, other than a handful of unnecessary safety and feel good features, I love my new Jeep.
It's a hell of a nice full time 4 wheel drive car. More bells and whistles than any car I've ever owned.
On the same note, $30K is about $25K more than I've ever spent on a car in my life.
But being almost 60, I think it's time to own something fully warrantied and dependable that isn't 20 years old with over 100,000 mile on it.

Been snowing, freezing rain here last few days so I have not taken wifey out and do some of those settings you are referring to but I saw that in the book. I did manage to program the garage door opener for her and need to program the auto adjust seats as well.

I ordered her the full complement of WeatherTech mats including the rear cargo one and today I need to call and get the Jeep a Wool-Wax undercoating. I am not a great fan of lanolin based undercoating, but that is the one she likes and that is the one she shall get.

She also would like the rear cargo area tonneau cover for her shopping trips with her mother so I need to get after that as well.

TiredRetired

Mr Lovable
SUPER Site Supporter
I ALREADY KNOW WHO'S FAULT THIS KAKAMAIMEE CRAP IS.

But thanks for the info on defeating the system. It's bad enough at traffic lights but impossibly annoying in rush hour stop and go traffic. Cathy's 2003 minivan is beginning to be a problem so we may well be looking at the Pacifica again.

I hate this feature and will find a way to defeat it. Thanks for your suggestions and that of Bannedjoe

I did some research and discovered that the wiring for the switch to turn off and on the start stop feature is part of the canbus system so there is no defeating it unless one is good with hacking the ECU. That is essentially what this brainiac did with the gizmo, hack the computer and trick it into believing something different.

I too hate it and will be getting that gizmo when the dust settles and mother has all her add ons she would like. :thumbup::thumbup:

Bannedjoe

I did some research and discovered that the wiring for the switch to turn off and on the start stop feature is part of the canbus system so there is no defeating it unless one is good with hacking the ECU. That is essentially what this brainiac did with the gizmo, hack the computer and trick it into believing something different.

I too hate it and will be getting that gizmo when the dust settles and mother has all her add ons she would like. :thumbup::thumbup:

Maybe it's different on your car, but removing the small connector from the proper battery only tells the computer that there's not enough power in the secondary battery to operate the stop start, although the secondary continues to get its normal charge.
Whatever avenue you take, I think disabling actually makes the car safer.
IMO