• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New IMP Owner #669

Idaho IMP

Hi Everyone, We just returned from a 1200 mile round trip from Idaho to Northern California to pick up my Imp, #669. It was posted for sale on KSL between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Overall it’s in fair condition For its age. I did have to swap out the old hubs, wheels and tires on the original Thiokol tilt deck trailer and used magnetic tow lights as the wiring was dry rotted…It towed like a dream back to Idaho. Zero issues. it was a long day to get ready as we had to flat tow and come-a-long the cat onto the trailer as the P.O. Hadn’t replaced the alternator or carburetor as intended. That’s all ok though as I noticed it needs some immediate track repairs. It’s missing 3 tire guides and has one mangled one likely from being iced into the ground. Also, one of the lacing pins on one track belt was half removed or missing. Also, he had replaced one of the track wheels but didn’t use the hollow spindle or bushings so I’ll have to get those parts as well. Like other machines, these make rythmatic sounds and I picked up on the track issues immediately when flat towing, hearing some clanking, etc.
I’ve developed Mechanical skill sets over the last decades by learning to fix my own machines and equipment CORRECTLY. Buying a piece of equipment from someone that “says” or “thinks” it may be in useable condition always means that the devil is in the details. Overall it needs some minor fixes and who knows how far I’ll take it. I did purchase as a legacy project for the family to use, and I do envision going through the whole thing eventually. Needless to say I have a list of goodies to make calls about today before I even take it off the trailer.
So, I’ll be posting more questions in the near future, but if anyone knows more about the glass gasketing around the cab doors, removing the flaking paint from the inside, let me know. I’ll be calling Peterson Equipment down in SLC and asking for a build sheet. I‘m told my number #669 was originally sold to the USFS in Oregon. It still has the Forest Service crest sticker on the doors and some other stenciled numbers. It was then sold to the gentleman I bought from for access to his off grid house in the winter.
Thats enough rambling for now. I Look forward to my new machine and developing friendships with those here on the forums.
Pete.

Bennyboy1337

Welcome to the club! When you get some time and pics to write up a detail report, go make a post over in the resto corner to start your project with. It's much easier to have a thread over there and update it as you go along, and makes it easier for people to read over your entire build progression. There are lots of IMP threads in the history of this forum, so be sure to look them and read through them in your spare time. The knowledge in some of these old threads are invaluable! For anything that hasn't been asked there is a grouser nut still alive than can probably answer your questions ;)

I just spoke with my neighbor Zelda here at Magic Reservoir about someone buying an Imp in California, is that you? I almost bought one in Fairfield Id. Myself. I own a 1967 Bombardier JW67 snow plow I use here in our community. The Imp I looked at had a dubious ownership story and inexplicable bogie wheel damage and axel damage. Since these things don’t have titles per se I get nervous.

Idaho IMP

I just spoke with my neighbor Zelda here at Magic Reservoir about someone buying an Imp in California, is that you? I almost bought one in Fairfield Id. Myself. I own a 1967 Bombardier JW67 snow plow I use here in our community. The Imp I looked at had a dubious ownership story and inexplicable bogie wheel damage and axel damage. Since these things don’t have titles per se I get nervous.
Yes! That’s my mom. She had told me about you and your history in Antarctica. I look forward to meeting you. My machine is fairly straight but has many small issues mainly from lack of upkeep. The running gear/tracks/tires are all good now but I’m dealing with things like missing exhaust gaskets, air cleaner redo, old plug wires, etc. I’ve fixed the charging system and a few odds and ends already. I think it will be a good machine though.

So when I was speaking with your mom I was driving my neighbors new UTV, she shared the fact that she worked in Antartica. I’m not nearly that exciting myself. My name is Mike and I volunteer here and plow the roads with my old Bombardier. I’m happy for you about your new toy, I maybe should have bought the one I looked at in Fairfield myself. At the time I was building an airplane hangar here and I had a budget to be mindful of. I love toys and I’m single, so I have to be careful, it’s always yes at my house. My next door neighbor gets to borrow a Super
098D9619-A31C-42DB-B740-3DAD7EF05DB0.jpeg
Imp from his father in law most winters, so I get to stare at it for free. I own an airplane and three motorcycles and an old VW Westfalia, it is probably time for an intervention at my house already. Here is my JW67.

The chunks of snow plow on the right are due to my shortening the plow to five feet from over seven feet. What an improvement.