• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need advice on buying a 1974 Bombardier BR100

Garfield

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm in Ontario. Canada and I want to get a snow grooming vehicle for cross country ski tracks on my property. I have about 8 km of trails to groom.

I'm looking at buying a 1974 Bombardier BR100 and I need some advice.

I looked at it yesterday and this will be my first snow grooming vehicle.

The wheels are solid rubber, but what I can see on the internet, are these supposed to be air filled instead? The cog or drive gear looks nice, but it does not have a sharp point to them as I have seen on others on the internet. But it doesn't look like it has worn down, it's all uniform. I have pictures of them.

The seller says he's the second owner. He only changes gear by pressing the clutch halfway from stand still. He does not change gears while moving. He says he can start it in gears, 1, 2 or 3. Is this proper? So, are you supposed to be able to change gears moving or not? Is there a problem with the transmission?

I'm not worried about the engine (it's a six cylinder Ford), but the transmission and Bombardier parts that I'm worried about.

My other option is to spend more than double the price (I can get the BR100 for about $12,500 Cnd) for a Japanese Kei car with Camso tracks, dump bed and a plow. Which one would be better for grooming?

I attached some pictures of the vehicle. Is the hour meter original? The other hour meters I have seen on the internet are different.

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• IMG-4236-dsqz.jpg
    IMG-4236-dsqz.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG-4234-dsqz.jpg
    IMG-4234-dsqz.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG-4228-dsqz.jpg
    IMG-4228-dsqz.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG-4227-dsqz.jpg
    IMG-4227-dsqz.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG-4225-dsqz.jpg
    IMG-4225-dsqz.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG-4224-dsqz.jpg
    IMG-4224-dsqz.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 151

alryA

Hey Paul, Nice to have you here with us! I can't answer your BR questions but we groom XC trails and ski as well. What will you be towing with it???

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm in Ontario. Canada and I want to get a snow grooming vehicle for cross country ski tracks on my property. I have about 8 km of trails to groom.

The wheels are solid rubber, but what I can see on the internet, are these supposed to be air filled instead? The cog or drive gear looks nice, but it does not have a sharp point to them as I have seen on others on the internet. But it doesn't look like it has worn down, it's all uniform. I have pictures of them.

The seller says he's the second owner. He only changes gear by pressing the clutch halfway from stand still. He does not change gears while moving. He says he can start it in gears, 1, 2 or 3. Is this proper? So, are you supposed to be able to change gears moving or not? Is there a problem with the transmission?

I'm not worried about the engine (it's a six cylinder Ford), but the transmission and Bombardier parts that I'm worried about.

My other option is to spend more than double the price (I can get the BR100 for about $12,500 Cnd) for a Japanese Kei car with Camso tracks, dump bed and a plow. Which one would be better for grooming?

I attached some pictures of the vehicle. Is the hour meter original? The other hour meters I have seen on the internet are different.

Thanks,

Paul
I have a Mittsubishi minicab van with Mattracks, and had a Suzuki truck with Camso tracks that burned in a forest fire at the cabin this year, I used the Suzuki for cabin access in the winter and hauling wood and rocks on the mountain in summer. It had 4 wheel hi/lo transfer case and lockers. It worked well for what I was using it for, the snow where I used it is always wet and heavy or crusted over. It would likely work for grooming as long as you don't want to go to fast or change gears on the fly. On the mountain road in the winter 10-15 mph feels fast. it weighs 1500# and is easy to tow and burned very little gas. The BR 100 is going to be a better puller and make grooming easier, go places the Suzuki won't, get 3-4 miles per gallon and require a big trailer and truck to pull it. Choices Choices

Garfield

Hey Paul, Nice to have you here with us! I can't answer your BR questions but we groom XC trails and ski as well. What will you be towing with it???
Hi ArlyA,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm thinking of getting a Canadian made groomer. https://happytrailspersonalgroomers.com/ They are close enough to me that I can drive with a friends 4x8 trailer and bring it home my self, saving the shipping.

There are many US made groomers, but I hate to see the shipping to Canada. It would be in the thousands I bet.

I like to get the deluxe Club version, but I need the track setter and corduroy setter too. They have a basic model too.

I've seen home made drag out of wood on youtube. People use a corrugated drainage pipe cut length wise and wrap it around the back end of the home made drag with weights on it to give the corduroy.

I skate ski mainly, but I will set a classic track as well for my occasional use and when friends come over. My first love is downhill skiing though. I also fat bike in the winter.

Paul

Garfield

I have a Mittsubishi minicab van with Mattracks, and had a Suzuki truck with Camso tracks that burned in a forest fire at the cabin this year, I used the Suzuki for cabin access in the winter and hauling wood and rocks on the mountain in summer. It had 4 wheel hi/lo transfer case and lockers. It worked well for what I was using it for, the snow where I used it is always wet and heavy or crusted over. It would likely work for grooming as long as you don't want to go to fast or change gears on the fly. On the mountain road in the winter 10-15 mph feels fast. it weighs 1500# and is easy to tow and burned very little gas. The BR 100 is going to be a better puller and make grooming easier, go places the Suzuki won't, get 3-4 miles per gallon and require a big trailer and truck to pull it. Choices Choices

Hi M1west,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss of your suzuki mini truck. Did the suzuki float well on the snow? Did you have to use ATV tires in the summer or you still used the tracks in the summer?

The drawback of the BR100 is it is less useful in the summer. The tracks will definitely make marks in the grass. Turning have to be carefully done and very wide.

Where I'm located in south central Ontario, we do have a lot of warm spells in the winter. Last year, I was surprise that we always had some snow over all winter long. It may not been much on the ground but it never totally went away. Normal years, we would lose snow covering at least once or twice in the winter before getting more.

Paul

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Paul, if you go to the tracked 4X4 section there are 2 threads one is the Suzuki Camso track build and use with pictures and the other is the Mitsubishi van Mattracks build and some testing so far, just driving around for access I like the van better, much more room and a little peppier with the supercharger. It even has A/C and it works. The Suzuki truck was useful for work but not much fun with the wife and dog with you. My .02 cents is you have to ask yourself what is the main purpose, just running around for fun and some grooming with the ability to use it in the summer with great gas milage and lite weight for hauling, easy to maintain and pretty tuff, not to mention comfortable.and quiet. or a lot of grooming and work that requires a strong machine to get the job done where there isn't really a concern for comfort, gas milage, maintenance or hauling. Marty

Garfield

Hi Paul, if you go to the tracked 4X4 section there are 2 threads one is the Suzuki Camso track build and use with pictures and the other is the Mitsubishi van Mattracks build and some testing so far, just driving around for access I like the van better, much more room and a little peppier with the supercharger. It even has A/C and it works. The Suzuki truck was useful for work but not much fun with the wife and dog with you. My .02 cents is you have to ask yourself what is the main purpose, just running around for fun and some grooming with the ability to use it in the summer with great gas milage and lite weight for hauling, easy to maintain and pretty tuff, not to mention comfortable.and quiet. or a lot of grooming and work that requires a strong machine to get the job done where there isn't really a concern for comfort, gas milage, maintenance or hauling. Marty
Hi Marty, I bow down before you. You are so much more mechanically inclined than me. I bought my property with purpose of setting a skate ski track in the winter. So snow grooming is the main purpose. I was thinking about the Suzuki Carry with a dump bed for summer use (jack of all trades, master of none). Having a dump truck in the summer on the property will be very useful to me, moving soil, wood chips, branches, gravel, etc.

After reading some of the post, I can see getting a dedicated snow groomer maybe the best bet for setting a ski track. In addition to looking at the BR100 I'm also starting to look at a Trail Boss snow groomer. It was made in Canada and the company who built them is no longer around. It has a Perkin diesel engine and a Allison Tranny, so parts for those should be no problem.

For the summer, maybe I will just use the snow groomer to pull a farm dump trailer I got. I just have to connect the single hydraulic hose of he dump trailer to a proper hydraulic connector on the groomer that has a float function (so it can be lowered). This option is not the most convenient, but the cheapest for me.

Paul

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Marty, I bow down before you. You are so much more mechanically inclined than me. I bought my property with purpose of setting a skate ski track in the winter. So snow grooming is the main purpose. I was thinking about the Suzuki Carry with a dump bed for summer use (jack of all trades, master of none). Having a dump truck in the summer on the property will be very useful to me, moving soil, wood chips, branches, gravel, etc.

After reading some of the post, I can see getting a dedicated snow groomer maybe the best bet for setting a ski track. In addition to looking at the BR100 I'm also starting to look at a Trail Boss snow groomer. It was made in Canada and the company who built them is no longer around. It has a Perkin diesel engine and a Allison Tranny, so parts for those should be no problem.

For the summer, maybe I will just use the snow groomer to pull a farm dump trailer I got. I just have to connect the single hydraulic hose of he dump trailer to a proper hydraulic connector on the groomer that has a float function (so it can be lowered). This option is not the most convenient, but the cheapest for me.

Paul
Hi Paul, thanks for the words. anyway sounds like you need more than something snow capable, the Japanese units are pretty tuff but not nearly as tuff as a real snow cat or something designed to groom and pull. like the difference between a lawn tractor and a farm tractor. And yes $$ help make a decision. Good luck with your quest, I started off with a Thiokol 603 then a steel track Tucker and ended up with a mini truck on tracks. I don't do any real hard work with them just cabin access and a little hauling around the property and I have to pull it on a trailer thru the mountains for 275 miles so size and weight are an issue for me.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks,

Paul
Paul,

I'm not an expert by any stretch on anything Bombardier, however a BR100 is also known as a Bombi, and is basically a small snowcat, designed for over the snow travel.

The pictures in your post are not of a BR100 Bombi, but I believe an SW48, or maybe an SW54. The SW denotes Sidewalk Plow and the numbers denote the width. That is a completely different vehicle designed for a completely different application.

If the seller is actually representing a sidewalk plow as a Bombi, I would suggest you deal with someone who actually knows what they are selling.

Don't believe me? Google BR100 and look at the information, and the images. Now Google SW48....

Garfield

Paul,

I'm not an expert by any stretch on anything Bombardier, however a BR100 is also known as a Bombi, and is basically a small snowcat, designed for over the snow travel.

The pictures in your post are not of a BR100 Bombi, but I believe an SW48, or maybe an SW54. The SW denotes Sidewalk Plow and the numbers denote the width. That is a completely different vehicle designed for a completely different application.

If the seller is actually representing a sidewalk plow as a Bombi, I would suggest you deal with someone who actually knows what they are selling.

Don't believe me? Google BR100 and look at the information, and the images. Now Google SW48....
Hi Blackfoot Tucker, you are correct. It does seems to be a SW48 and not a BR100. I thought it looked different because it was an early version of the BR100. Thanks for the heads up. Appreciated.

There's a Trail boss made by Bell Welding (a small Ontario company) that I will look at then.

Thanks,

Paul

Garfield

On Sunday I went to see the Canadian made Trail Boss. I knew of the size of it from the specs, but seeing it in real life I realize it would be too big for my property. It would not fit through some wooded areas and would have to cut the trails wider in others. With the hydraulic steering of the drag, it would not turn sharp enough for most of my corners for skate skiing. It would be fine on a large wide snowmobile trails.

I'm think I have to go back to the Japanese Kei mini truck with Tracks. That would fit well. The drag or groomer I would get will most likely be this: https://happytrailspersonalgroomers.com/ the 72" one.

I took some pictures of the Trail Boss.

IMG-4260-dsqz.jpgIMG-4268-dsqz.jpgIMG-4278-dsqz.jpgIMG-4277-dsqz.jpgIMG-4280-dsqz.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
On Sunday I went to see the Canadian made Trail Boss. I knew of the size of it from the specs, but seeing it in real life I realize it would be too big for my property. It would not fit through some wooded areas and would have to cut the trails wider in others. With the hydraulic steering of the drag, it would not turn sharp enough for most of my corners for skate skiing. It would be fine on a large wide snowmobile trails.

I'm think I have to go back to the Japanese Kei mini truck with Tracks. That would fit well. The drag or groomer I would get will most likely be this: https://happytrailspersonalgroomers.com/ the 72" one.

I took some pictures of the Trail Boss.

View attachment 131818View attachment 131819View attachment 131820View attachment 131821View attachment 131822
You can get a mini truck and install the tracks yourself for around 10k, if you look to buy one done they are pushing 20k

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
One more bit of advice if you go with a mini truck, Make sure it has Hi/Lo transfer case, Not just granny low first gear. and make sure it has lockers, especially if you are going to groom with it.

Garfield

One more bit of advice if you go with a mini truck, Make sure it has Hi/Lo transfer case, Not just granny low first gear. and make sure it has lockers, especially if you are going to groom with it.

Hi Marty,

I'm most likely going to get one from Four Sons https://www.4sonsoffroad.com/ I just hope they can get one to me by Christmas so I can make use of it. With Covid, I'll be home more and I want to skate ski on my property. I bought the property recently with skate skiing in mind.

I'm going to get the plow option, tracks, and hopefully they can convert the pickup bed to a dump. I may have to do the dump conversion later, but I don't know who would do something like that?

I attached some pictures of what it would look like (I won't get this car.

In Canada we can import 15 yrs cars as opposed to the US where you are only allowed 25 years old cars in.

The Suzuki Carry will have high low but not diff lock. Diff lock is very rare and Four Sons says you don't need it for what I'm doing. The amount of snow I get in Ontario is not that much. Most storms drop couple of inches. A foot of new snow is very rare. I'm too far south to have a lot of snow on the ground. Last year I was surprised that I did not lose all the snow during the winter. Usually, we get a warm spell and lose all the snow and then it will snow again.

PaulResized-20201001-163421.jpg
Resized-20201001-163421.jpg
Resized-20201001-163606.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Marty,

I'm most likely going to get one from Four Sons https://www.4sonsoffroad.com/ I just hope they can get one to me by Christmas so I can make use of it. With Covid, I'll be home more and I want to skate ski on my property. I bought the property recently with skate skiing in mind.

I'm going to get the plow option, tracks, and hopefully they can convert the pickup bed to a dump. I may have to do the dump conversion later, but I don't know who would do something like that?

I attached some pictures of what it would look like (I won't get this car.

In Canada we can import 15 yrs cars as opposed to the US where you are only allowed 25 years old cars in.

The Suzuki Carry will have high low but not diff lock. Diff lock is very rare and Four Sons says you don't need it for what I'm doing. The amount of snow I get in Ontario is not that much. Most storms drop couple of inches. A foot of new snow is very rare. I'm too far south to have a lot of snow on the ground. Last year I was surprised that I did not lose all the snow during the winter. Usually, we get a warm spell and lose all the snow and then it will snow again.

PaulView attachment 131837View attachment 131837View attachment 131838
I am familiar with 4 sons, Do you mind telling how much they quoted for your rig? The diff lock is handy if you get stuck to get un stuck. Most of the time I never used it, as when you hit I think it was 15 kph it turned off anyway and with the gear reduction on the tracks you were not going very fast. In deeper snow if you get tilted sideways the differentials will keep spinning the tracks with the least traction, like if you drive in a ditch to let someone pass on a narrow road. In that situation the lockers come in handy. A winch and shovel will get you out also. The other thing to watch is you don't run a track under something or drop one thru some ice will make a bad day.

alryA

Japaneses mini trucks have not fared well in the grooming industry since they are not assertively powered. I can't recall what these weight, but they are close to a Can-am defender which can be had with a 82 hp from its 1000cc engine. In the deep snow we get, even this 82HP is not to much. Pods do take lots to push them through snow. I operated a defender for 5+ years and lots and lots of other machines.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Japaneses mini trucks have not fared well in the grooming industry since they are not assertively powered. I can't recall what these weight, but they are close to a Can-am defender which can be had with a 82 hp from its 1000cc engine. In the deep snow we get, even this 82HP is not to much. Pods do take lots to push them through snow. I operated a defender for 5+ years and lots and lots of other machines.
Sounds like he grooms a little when it snows a foot or two then melts off. The mini trucks are 64hp and 45 ft pounds of torque. The low range gives it a lot more but he is not going to be going very fast. I agree if you a re a professional groomer you would ant something different, but from what he describes it will be used for it should work fine for the $$$ spent.

Garfield

Hi alryA and Marty, I think with the little snow compared to what you get in mountains, the Kei mini truck should be enough. The drag I'll be getting is relatively small and light and are design to be driven by UTV's. The trails I cut are only 10' wide and have sharp turns, so a bigger setup would be too large to groom my trails.

I think for the Suzuki Carry, with the tracks, plow + winch, ATV tires and wheels, conversion to dump bed and delivery from BC to Ontario will be under $30k Canadian. They may not be able to do the dump conversion in time, so I may have to source it near me. Except I don't know who to look for that can do the dump conversion. What kind of shop would be able to that?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
It shouldn't be too hard to find one with a dump bed from the factory, But if you are short on time to get one I understand you have to take what you can get. Good luck with your quest, post it when it shows up and let us know how it does for you. Marty