• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Nautilus Elliptical machines

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, I've narrowed my search down to two different models for the elliptical machine I'm going to buy my wife. I first began thinking I would buy her this model Nautilus NE 3000, but decided that it looks goofy and too long with that rear part sticking way out the back. Now I am going to buy her either of these models Nautilus EV716 and EV718. Which would be the best choice of those two?

working woman

Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Okay, I've narrowed my search down to two different models for the elliptical machine I'm going to buy my wife.

If your buying it for her, why not let her decide? At least that way you know she will pick the one she wants, no wrong decision on your part :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

HGM

working woman said:
Dargo said:
Okay, I've narrowed my search down to two different models for the elliptical machine I'm going to buy my wife.

If your buying it for her, why not let her decide? At least that way you know she will pick the one she wants, no wrong decision on your part :eek:

That might be good advice..That way, when she doesnt use it anymore, it wont be your fault...

buy_25

Banned
seem a litle overpriced for a "one-use" wonder..

But you think the ev716 or 718 do not look worse (goofy wise)...You can view that on Star Trek 12....spock on his trainer! :yum:

Michael

What I do not understand is buying these fancy machines and in six months they all land in the local newspapers want ads.

I have seen alot of them and for me (IMHO) they are overpriced pieces of junk, that no one will use more then maybe once or twice. I think that for all the money you spend on something like that, that a set of old style weights and and a good weight bench is all you need, I bought my weight bench and weights from the local thrift store for under $50.00, That included 500 pounds of weights, sure the bench is not in the greastest shape the vinyl on the foam is worn but I use this equipment 4 times a week and it works for me. For curls I got those at the same thrift store and they were about $15.00.

I just cannot see the reason for all this stuff that really doesn't work as good as weights and a threadmill, I don't have a threadmill as I walk my dogs 3 times a day up to a mile and half each time I walk them. The side benefit is I get a good heart workout and the dogs get to do their business and get to smell what ever they want to smell. Sure I hate walking the dogs in the weather but they are happy for it and my heart and body never seem to mind.

buy_25

Banned
Michael said:
What I do not understand is buying these fancy machines and in six months they all land in the local newspapers want ads.

I have seen alot of them and for me (IMHO) they are overpriced pieces of junk, that no one will use more then maybe once or twice. I think that for all the money you spend on something like that, that a set of old style weights and and a good weight bench is all you need, I bought my weight bench and weights from the local thrift store for under $50.00, That included 500 pounds of weights, sure the bench is not in the greastest shape the vinyl on the foam is worn but I use this equipment 4 times a week and it works for me. For curls I got those at the same thrift store and they were about $15.00.

I just cannot see the reason for all this stuff that really doesn't work as good as weights and a threadmill, I don't have a threadmill as I walk my dogs 3 times a day up to a mile and half each time I walk them. The side benefit is I get a good heart workout and the dogs get to do their business and get to smell what ever they want to smell. Sure I hate walking the dogs in the weather but they are happy for it and my heart and body never seem to mind.

I agree that most buy these things and they are clothes hangers in 3 months. But based on Dargo, he will do his homework first.

I agree but as I stated before on this forum, most treadmills below $2,000 are a complete pieces of BLANK! Mine was over that and well worth it when I put on almost 40 miles a week (due to winter days). So far, 6,500 miles on the last treadmill! The cheaper one need adjusting like crazy, motor weak, rails suck, suspension is weak or not there (or can’t adjust), parts are a rip-off, controls are too small or cheap, rails are too big or small, length of belt is too small, belt is cheap, not fast enough for speed workouts, frame is weak along with cheap/messy welds, no warranty or no lifetime warranty…need I go on?

Walking is great but you can peak out pretty fast; it is better then doing nothing but I will take a fast heart rate for longer periods then walking. Plus my pits loves to run with me outside. The 12 milers are easy for him. Too bad the longer run he can’t do…

[font=&quot]But at least he is selecting a manufacture that is really good (one of my top 5 ones). I love there Nautilus T7.18 model. Maybe get the wife to buy another “mill” for me, opps her? Most of the really good treadmills are not in most stores or any. You are not going to find a $4,000 mill at Dicks Sporting Goods, Best Buy or some little Sears here. [/font]

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I ended up getting the EV718. I liked the ability to have the controls at your thumbs while exercising. With the EV716 you have to let go and try to poke buttons on the console to change your workout. Now I just need to figure out how to carry the darn thing to the bedroom. Man, is it ever heavy! Since it operates virtually silently, I can go along with her having it in the bedroom rather than down in the gym.

That brings up my reply to Michael; I have a complete full free weight gym already. I only worked out with free weights in college, so that is what I prefer. Besides having a professional Smith machine, I have a squat rack, hack squat machine, 4 benches (flat, incline, decline and 2nd flat), bench cage, high/low machine, calf raise machine, leg extension machine, cast iron dumbells from 5 pounds up to 150 pounds in 5 pound increments, and several other specialty pieces. I have a Stairmaster Stepmill, a treadmill, and now this elliptical machine for cardio. Heck, I even have a drinking fountain in the gym so I don't have to carry around bottles of water. ;)

I need to work more towards the aerobic stuff now rather than heavy weights since I'm beginning to get older. My joints just won't take what they used to. Although it's been several years ago, I benched 360, squated 610 and dead lifted 660 in my last powerlifting competition. Since I have a 17 year old son who is now getting into lifting, I'd like to at least get back to those numbers. I think I can do that. I've admitted to myself that I'll never get back to my peak strength. That was over 20 years ago and far, far away in what seems like another life...

buy_25

Banned
Dargo, I was just messing around I hope you know. I know you know what you want so I know you did your homework. You are not like most...:)

You sound like a powerhouse....The most I have "dead lifted" was a mixed cocktail to my head! :)

The carbo is a good thing to do; in fact I like that better then lifting (since I do not do that anymore). I remember running at the gym when I used to go and the guys on the juice could not do 6 minute miles..I loved that...

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
:pat: :mad: :frustrado :gun1: :14_6_12: :angry3: :angry3: Remember to always measure things BEFORE you assemble them and make sure they will fit through doorways! :mad:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let me guess, you went to Tim "The Toolman" Taylor school didn't you?

working woman

Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Let me guess, you went to Tim "The Toolman" Taylor school didn't you?

I can just imange the whole scenerio, would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that one! Think it would have been rather entertaining! :D

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn! Four hours and I have it completely dissasembled and in a hundred pieces or so. But, it is now scattered all about Mrs. Dargo's new hardwood bedroom floor. Maybe I'll get energetic this weekend and reassemble it one more time while I still remember how. :eek: :pat: I can't find what that thing weighs, but I'm betting that it comes in at well over 400 pounds. It was heavy just carrying it up there in parts! Yeah, I know... :gay: :wussie:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, that elliptical machine works great. I awoke at promptly 3am this morning with my back killing me from carrying that damn thing up the stairs by myself. It appears to be a great workout, but just a bit hard on an old guy's back. I wonder if they have a "lite" version? :eek:

Maybe once it's assembled it will give the wife a good aerobic workout. Uh, er, that would be re-assembled...:whistle: