My wife wants to cut her own baseboards for a flip house

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the budget project just cost me a $20 gallon (to start) of primer, sandpaper, paint rollers, rubber gloves, dust masks, etc

So I will be presenting my wife the bill moments before I say “Told you so” and then duck for cover.

Jim_S

Spammer Hammer
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the budget project just cost me a $20 gallon (to start) of primer, sandpaper, paint rollers, rubber gloves, dust masks, etc

So I will be presenting my wife the bill moments before I say “Told you so” and then duck for cover.

Good luck. I can’t see a happy ending in your future :bolt:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought I'd update this with some photos.

HOUSE GOES ON THE MARKET in the next day or two!!!

Not only did we do baseboards, we did door and window trim, specialty trim to fake some pilasters, and also did wainscoting in the dining room. It looks great. Not sure it will hold up for a few decades. Wood would have been better. But without abuse this should be OK. Did some nice detailing around the big kitchen to living room opening. Some false reverse pilasters on the base of the kitchen island.

Realize this is a house that will sell for about US$160,000 so its not a premium grade house. Upstairs all the windows and doors use standard grade casement from the hardware store. Tossed in a couple of stained glass windows that we found at a junk/antique/salvage shop for $50 each to add a bit more architectural interest.

Here are photos of a the FAUX wood work... much as I bitched and moaned about it, I think it came out really well and even complimented my wife on her choice. NOT that I want to ever do it again!

Attachments

• WKkluAVpTPu9pyJMQbe8OQ.jpg
    WKkluAVpTPu9pyJMQbe8OQ.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 21
  • S4YBi45fRD67WzdJFtHUJA.jpg
    S4YBi45fRD67WzdJFtHUJA.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 21
  • CQe9YXktTFaYd5p5ihYTZg.jpg
    CQe9YXktTFaYd5p5ihYTZg.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 21
  • hWAmPWSPQTqWQoQ5wH%jdA.jpg
    hWAmPWSPQTqWQoQ5wH%jdA.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 21

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Just wait till she sees how much paint the MDF soaks up !

And the corner that is exposed will need to be sanded or it will be like a serrated knife until pieces start falling off.

This. The finish on cut mdf sucks. There’s a reason why they come with that weird coating.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This. The finish on cut mdf sucks. There’s a reason why they come with that weird coating.

She sanded, then primed ... then painted.

Not worth the effort in my mind.

But...