• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My Son's last High School Football game (and why he will always remember it)

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
My son Drew (a senior this year) played in his final High school football game last Friday.

His team won 49-6 over the other team, & he had a couple nice long runs in the first half as well as a one yard TD run. He caught a pass in the end zone as time expired in the first half for his 2nd TD of the evening.

At halftime his team was up 42-0. He had limited play in the 2nd half but did stop the other team from scoring with a sweet move cutting in front of their receiver in the end zone & catching an interception that gave us the ball.

We played everybody but our 8 year old water boys in the 2nd half, so it was a great way to finish off the season, & his team ended up 6 & 4 on the year.

With 30 seconds left to play the opposing team called a time out for a meeting of ours & their coaches.

They then put in a very large young man off the bench that has Autism.

Big Mike Halliwell was doing his best to complete high school & has been a regular member of the opposing football team since 7th grade.

It was the last game of the year for them, and his last chance to play high school football.

He is by age & sports eligibility technically a senior, but will still be attending high school next year due to his limited class load.

Here's a link to the story:

http://www.the-daily-record.com/local sports/2013/11/03/big-mike-scores-td-for-all-to-cheer

In his last play of his last game as a high school athlete he took the hand off & raced (in slow motion) thru our defense untouched for a touchdown.

It was a tear jerking moment for sure & showed a lot of class from both coaches & teams alike.

Something our son (and us) will remember for life.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Outstanding!

Love to hear about moments like that. It restores my faith in humanity. I'm sure that will be a moment that boy never forgets.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope you don't mind, but I posted a link to the story you linked on my FaceBook page. Most who are able to read my FB page are personal friends, relatives and high school and college classmates. They are the type who would really appreciate the story.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I hope you don't mind, but I posted a link to the story you linked on my FaceBook page. Most who are able to read my FB page are personal friends, relatives and high school and college classmates. They are the type who would really appreciate the story.

No problem.........if I didn't want it out there I wouldn't have made the post.

There's another you tube of the same boy a couple years earlier being interviewed with his parents about playing team sports with Autism. 2nd video in the yahoo article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...scores-td-game-final-play-only-183707739.html

I have a niece who works with Autism teachers & care providers (trains them to work with the latest treatment methods) so the boy's accomplishment hits close to home for me.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome Tom. Thanks for sharing. Something none of those young men will ever forget. What a special moment. :tiphat: :clap: :clap: