• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My friend was airlifted to a hospital - Auto vs Motorcycle

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lady in a car was making a left hand turn across traffic. My friend was going straight, in his lane, with right of way.

'I never saw the motorcycle'

This guy is in my shooting group. I don't know most of the details. He doesn't remember what happened, but he is alive. Not sure how badly he is hurt.

I gave him some extra motorcycle body armor that I had when he got his new motorcycle, no clue if he was wearing it, or what he had on when he was hit. I know he always rides with a helmet and a motorcycle jacket, not sure if the jacket he had on was armored, I know 1 of his is, the other is not. But honestly even with full motocross armor, a car making a left hand turn into a motorcycle its always a motorcycle that loses. And its probably the most common fatal motorcycle crash.

Thankfully he is alive.

https://regionnewssource.org/motorcycle-driver-airlifted-in-griffith/

MOTORCYCLE DRIVER AIRLIFTED IN GRIFFITH

June 24, 2020 Goddard
Shortly after 12:30pm Wednesday a motorcycle being ridden by a male rider traveling northbound on Cline Ave, and a passenger car driven by female driver collided as the passenger car appeared to be turning eastbound into the Griffith Park Plaza from southbound Cline Ave, according to Commander Keith Martin of the Griffith Police. The female driver was uninjured and the motorcyclist was airlifted by a UCAN helicopter to an undisclosed hospital for evaluation and treatment, Martin told RNS. The motorcycle drivers condition is not known at this time.

The crash is currently under investigation by the Griffith Police.

Attachments

• 1546D0A4-EA24-41E4-8360-4DC6A053052C.jpeg
    1546D0A4-EA24-41E4-8360-4DC6A053052C.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 174

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Omg. Prayers for your friend. I hope he pulls through.

Sounds eerily similar to my buddy's accident a couple years ago. He was going straight. Woman pulled out right in front of him. He nailed her car door and was thrown from the bike. Physically he was ok for the mostpart but it knocked him out for days. He ended up with a traumatic brain injury. Same as me. My short term memory is shot after nailing my head against the pavement in my motorcycle accident.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got this update this morning, from his hospital bed:

They had to amputate my left index finger tip at the last joint and put some plates on my left ulna and radius. Also got a small bit of road rash on my belly. Some small tears on my kidneys and spleen, small cracks on some vertebrae, according to docs that should all take care on its own.

Could have been so much worse.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the update. Similar injuries I had minus the amputation.

My injuries were a severe level 4.5 liver laceration (level 6 is fatal), a torn spleen, fluid on my lungs, 6 fractured vertebrae, one broken rib, severe muscle and nerve damage in my back, road rash on my right forearm covering half the arm from elbow to wrist, road rash on my left ankle. If my accident happened anywhere else, I wouldn't be here as I wouldn't have made it to the hospital. Just happened to be only 2 blocks from there so they were able to rush me in and begin blood transfusions until they could open me up to stop the internal bleeding. I eventually developed 2 separate hernias along the orginal incision line. Those had to be repaired with surgeries. Oh, and I developed a blood clot in my leg and had my lungs drained twice.

Anyways, I do hope he pulls through ok. Sounds like he has a long recovery ahead of him.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW he seems to be doing pretty well. Hopefully no long term issues other than the loss of the tip of a finger. He is looking forward to riding again ... after he is out of the hospital and fully recovered.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW he seems to be doing pretty well. Hopefully no long term issues other than the loss of the tip of a finger. He is looking forward to riding again ... after he is out of the hospital and fully recovered.

Great news!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fortunately the impact was toward the front of the bike, rather than to the rider!

Attachments

• image000006.jpg
    image000006.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 153
  • image000005.jpg
    image000005.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 145
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 149
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 147
  • image000004.jpg
    image000004.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 148
  • image000007.jpg
    image000007.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 149
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 148
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 151

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the bike photos Bob.
Yes! Could have been much, much worse.
I'm happy to hear he is ok.
Good golly!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Out of the hospital. Recovering at his father's house. In pain.

I advised an accident-injury lawyer.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Motorcycle crash/safety study is from 2016 but is one of the most complete studies and most current studies available for moto crashes. Interestingly it took NEAR-Crashes into account. Had 100 people with multiple cameras mounted on their bikes.

https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/msf100_2016/Risk_Factors_From_MSF_100_Study_Paper.pdf

A lot of crashes are motorcyclists running into objects. Far more than you'd guess. In fact more than the dreaded "left hand turn/crossing my lane of traffic" situations.

Worth reading if you want to dispel some common myths.