• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mountain House Dehydrated foods - 25% off

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
http://store.prepared.pro/30-yearcans.aspx

Best pricing I've found.

I believe the Mountain House foods are pretty much fixed prices from the mfgr.

Somehow, they're offering 25% off (and free shipping!). I did a google search and couldn't find any place that could match that pricing (including Amazon who normally has the best price).

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Have you eaten any of these ? Can you reccomend any particular ones ?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've wondered about Mountain House too.

I'd love to hear some suggestions from folks who have tried any of their products.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry Pixie, I haven't. I've been going on recommendations (of Mountain House quality and general taste) from others. I don't want to break the seal on a can that has a 30-year shelf life unless I have to. The cans I have are for "emergency use only".

If you do a google search, you'll find lots of sites with info on taste and such. I just choose the cans of the things I normally like. They also sell them in small packages so you can taste them without breaking the seal on a big can (but the small packages are a bit more money per serving).

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, I've heard the same thing about Mountain House from others too but have not actually tried it. I was hoping you had tried it instead of just storing it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Unfortunately, I have a pretty poor sense of taste and "eat to live", not "live to eat". If both the dog and I could eat it, I'd probably give it a favorable review. Probably not what you're looking for.

I guess I'll start looking for the sampler packs and give them a try.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

I've been searching the internet for sampler packs of the MH foods. It appears that WalMart carries the small single/double serving packages. It's in the camping section. I don't get to WalMart much but may make it a point to see if they have it. If you end up there, it may be worthwhile to buy a little to see what you think of it.

SShepherd

I've tried quite a few...and they're actually pretty good.

Just use your head when you when you're thinking that it's going to be exactly like mom use to make:whistling:

The stews, and things with rice are pretty good. Gravy, Mac&cheese, noodles, chili, the veg and fruit are all decent. Things like powderd eggs:unsure:
Remember the benifit to this stuff is partially the packaging.......it's made for long term storage. Be smart and check the price against places like sams and costco on items like rice, beans, and Mac&cheese.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have tried two packages of Mountain House: scrambled eggs & ham and lasagna. They were o.k., but I would have to be really hungry to eat them again unless it was an emergency. The texture of the eggs & ham left a lot to be desired. I added the correct amount of water but ended up with ham & egg soup. The ham bits were o.k., but can't say a whole lot for the eggs. Same for the lasagna, it ended up being a soup. Next time I'll only add about 3/4 of the water they recommend.

The Mountain House strawberry ice cream is great if you can get buy eating ice cream that is room temperature.

Our WalMart does carry individual packages.

All of mine are individual packages as I did not want to invest in the large cans as it is just my wife and I. The Ready Store is where I got mine: http://www.thereadystore.com/

I also bought 12 servings of something like C or K rations with individual heaters. Have not tried any of them yet. Keep trying to get the wife to split one with me - so far she has refused. Guess she heard me talk about eating them in the Army too much.

Bob

Last edited:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
those are some damn good deals in the OP. i am sad to say i have nothing as far as foods that will alst a while except a can of Dinty Moore :yum: but i would like to get a small stock of stuff for the girls and I. maybe i ought take advantage of the deals this site has...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
those are some damn good deals in the OP. i am sad to say i have nothing as far as foods that will alst a while except a can of Dinty Moore :yum: but i would like to get a small stock of stuff for the girls and I. maybe i ought take advantage of the deals this site has...
If you don't have anything... that's kind of bad. You should consider SShepard's thoughts and establish a cache of other foods from a potentially cheaper source.

An approach that works for many is to get some foods in bulk and store them in 5-gallon buckets (with lids). You can get some pasta, rice, tuna fish and other things that relatively inexpensive per meal and set them aside in the buckets. They're now air-tight. Stack these buckets in the back of a closet or other place that's out of the way. A few cases of bottled water beside it is also a good idea.

Lowe's and Home Depot sell 5-gallon buckets with reusable lids for under $5. Don't get the lids with the tabs as they're not as user-friendly for opening several times.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump

WalMart did have the small packages. Most are 2 servings. They only had about 5 or 6 entrees and 2 deserts but they were the common ones. I picked up a package of each and will give them a try soon.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, we just tried the eggs with bacon.

Disclaimer: I had previously looked at comments and reviews of this bacon and eggs from other sites and it was considered one of the worst offerings from Mountain House.

Mrs. Zoom and my son tried it and didn't like it.

I ate some and gave the rest to the dog.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it about a 2-3. If you like bacon, you won't care for it in this mix. The small bits weren't good. The smokiness from their flavor permeated the eggs kind of ruining them.

I think I'd probably give a package of eggs alone a higher rating on the scale.

I don't know if it was due to a blending of the flavors, temperature or because my taste buds were shot but it seemed to taste better after it sat for a few minutes.

In an emergency situation or when backpacking, I'd eat it for sustenance but given a choice, I'll take whatever the choice is.