More QRP...

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
i got to speak to all sorts of Europeans today,all i done was pop in to my local shop for a pint of milk:yum::yum::yum:

sorry i could not help myself:flowers:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly... you tell the VEs that if they fail ya....we will flood them with a thosand e-mails a day.....and blow the finals of all their rigs!!!!!:whistling::whistling:

Come th think .....maby ya should have a grin on your face when ya do!!!!:wink:

Actualy it is kind of like being constapated for a week........and then when it is finly over....ya wonder what all the pain was about:brows:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly... you tell the VEs that if they fail ya....we will flood them with a thosand e-mails a day.....and blow the finals of all their rigs!!!!!:whistling::whistling:
OK, I told em. They were smiling as they wrote your call sign down. :whistling:

Anyhow, took a couple of weeks to finally get a test set up but Tuesday is the day. I'll be pissed if I don't ace it. Been taking sample tests for the last couple of weeks and generally score 100%.

Lately I've been looking for the perfect antenna but found that it doesn't exist. :smile: So, my second best consideration looks to be the Butternut HF9V 9-band vertical. Works on 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, 6 Meters. I'll only be able to use 80, 40, 15, 10, and 6 meters but that's OK. I'll get my general soon enough and that'll open up 30, 20, 17 and 12.

Won't be long boys... :biggrin:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
You better be taking the Tech & General test back-to-back. They're too easy to not get both together. And I don't want to hear no chit either. Just do it and get them out of the way. :brows:

As for antennas, soon you'll be making your own wire antennas and learn how easy they are to build, and how good they work (not to mention how well they disappear in the trees). You can't just have one antenna, and 4 or 5 are better. That's a rule that nobody tells you about, but you figure out real quick.

Here's the first one to make...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7za6gPWcNng#t=56

And you'll want one of these for 2m/440 bands. I built one and have it on top of the mast for my tri-band beam.
http://www.arrowantennas.com/inst/OSJ146440.pdf

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I told em. They were smiling as they wrote your call sign down. :whistling:

Anyhow, took a couple of weeks to finally get a test set up but Tuesday is the day. I'll be pissed if I don't ace it. Been taking sample tests for the last couple of weeks and generally score 100%.

Lately I've been looking for the perfect antenna but found that it doesn't exist. :smile: So, my second best consideration looks to be the Butternut HF9V 9-band vertical. Works on 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, 6 Meters. I'll only be able to use 80, 40, 15, 10, and 6 meters but that's OK. I'll get my general soon enough and that'll open up 30, 20, 17 and 12.

Won't be long boys... :biggrin:
Go for it.....you will do fine..I agree with JEV.......take the Gen at the same time.....chances are you will pass it...but even if ya dont ...it will show ya where you are lacking and give ya a leg up on studying...:clap:

As for the But-nut...I think I still have one in the trusses in the garage.....used it at an apartment in KC...while still working ....regardless of what they say verts always work much better with a good groundplane.... give some thought to an inverted V...with the apex as high as ya can get it....all it is is wire......way cheeper and easy to put up........another to look into are ..sloopers......out in elkhart kansas I had a 90 ft tower with beams on top....and tried sloopers off the sides for several bands and they worked great....had them set up ...north west south and east pattern...and used a coax switch to flip from one to the other......Build any wire ant...with traps and you can have a multi band for very little cost!!

through the years I spent a lot of money on factory ants...and always ended up with as good or better results with my wire ants....or the ones I built out of conduit and pipe and wire... what ever way you go....have fun and enjoy.....it is a great hobby..and ya meet a lot of fine folks!!

GO FOR IT......:applause::thumb:

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that is my limitation with hf right now is antennas about the only thing that is going to give me good performance on all bands would be a huge expensive log periodic which wont stand up to our winds so I might try a mono band wire antenna first and maybe a 10 meter vertical. I'm thinking about an hf rig for the snow cat so I can go try to work hf from some mountain tops.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
that is my limitation with hf right now is antennas about the only thing that is going to give me good performance on all bands would be a huge expensive log periodic which wont stand up to our winds so I might try a mono band wire antenna first and maybe a 10 meter vertical. I'm thinking about an hf rig for the snow cat so I can go try to work hf from some mountain tops.

Try a traped inverted V......the only suport is in the middle..feed it at the apex with ladder line...or coax...I always had the best luck with wide ladder line...another is just a long wire and some sort of a tunning set up....fed on one end and strung out acrost trees or poles or what ever just to keep it up off the ground. the whole point is to just get on the air.......and see what happens.....:biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
we lack trees,I have a 60 foot tower, but I need to do some repairs to it maybe a next summer project. we also have a lack of radio shack stores so I need to put together a good materials list before I order. I have an old military nvis antenna but I haven't played too much with it.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Well Squerly....is this not the day?????Give em hell old man......come back with that ticket in your fist!!!!!!:smile:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
we lack trees,I have a 60 foot tower, but I need to do some repairs to it maybe a next summer project. we also have a lack of radio shack stores so I need to put together a good materials list before I order. I have an old military nvis antenna but I haven't played too much with it.

ST.....one place I was at......for a short time I couldnt put up any thing perminet ...I took a piece of 2" water pipe...and some 2" thinwall conduit...some 1" thinwall and some muffler clamps...and ended up with almost 45 ft some old fence wire for guy wires and a pully on top with some 1/4 inch rope and WALA!!!I had a place to hang my inverted V.......and come to think of it I had put an old 2 meter mobile ant on top when I built it.....:smile: Give ya any Ideas???? When you are cooped up with no place to hide and the kids are getting on your nerves.....a set of earphones can be a great place to go!!!!:whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
congratulations now pick up a fm radio and find a node in your area steerit to the Alaska reflector and give a shout out my radio has been on all day

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Technician KM4GGD :smile:

Congrats there old man!!!!!!!!:cool2::applause::thumb: Used to be you had to wait around 6 weeks to get your call.......talk about hell!!!!passed the test and still couldnt get on the air till it came in the mail!!!!! Glad that has changed!!!!!

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Ki0ho any ideas about a multi band hf antenna for brutis I have enough room for my ts 140 in it