• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Montana Wolf Pack attacks 2 elk hunters

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good thing these guys were on horseback and had their guns with them, could have ended up with them being the lunch for the wolves.

We are getting into the season when a lot of us are out in the woods hunting, and soon many of us will be out in snowcats, on sled trails, or back country skiing. Let's be careful out there folks. Glad the worst thing we have here is coyotes.

Full story at link => http://www.thenewamerican.com/index...without-our-horses-and-guns-we-would-be-deadq
Wolf Attack! "Without our Horses and Guns We Would Be Dead"
WRITTEN BY DR. EDWIN BERRY
SATURDAY, 06 NOVEMBER 2010 18:00

Mark Appleby and Raymond Pitman went hunting in their usual spot in the drainage of the South Fork of the Flathead River of Montana on Friday, October 29, 2010. They shot an elk and returned on Saturday to retrieve the meat. They did not notice anything unusual until their horses became panicked. Turning around to see what was frightening the horses, they found they were surrounded by wolves, which had begun closing in.

Randy drew his pistol and fired one shot in the air while Mark ran for his rifle. Randy's next shot killed a wolf. Then it became a standoff. Mark and Randy left the elk quarters at the site and walked their panicked horses the 90-minute hike back to the road.

They returned on Monday with a Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks (FWP) warden. The warden confirmed one wolf kill, multiple wolf tracks and that the elk meat was eaten by wolves and a grizzly bear.

Mark said had it not been for Randy wearing his pistol, the wolves would have killed both of them. Though self defense is legal, the problem is the federal government still classifies wolves as an endangered species. So the hunters may have to justify in a federal court their actions to save their own lives. The FWP has turned the information over to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS). . .

I turned and looked and saw six, seven, or eight wolves and started to run for my rifle that was leaning on a rock on the other side of the road in the direction of the wolves. I was about halfway there and I heard Raymond shoot with his .44 Magnum. When I reached my gun, I picked it up and the wolves had stopped. I pointed my gun at them at about the same time they started to run at us again. At that time I feared for my life and my horses, and my friend [and] started to shoot.

I shot three times at the wolves and they finally fled into the timber. I ran over to the horse named "Starburst." He had wound himself around the tree so tight that his head was [stuck] tight against the tree. I unhooked the rope clasp from the halter and told Raymond to untie the rope and hand it to me as I could barely hang onto the uncontrolled horse.

Once I got the lead rope clipped back onto the halter, Raymond took the horse. I then went for my horse before there was another . . .

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I,m glad of the outcome in this case but this part of the article below just pisses me off :hammer:

( Though self defense is legal, the problem is the federal government still classifies wolves as an endangered species. So the hunters may have to justify in a federal court their actions to save their own lives. )

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They sure don't need to be on endangered species list anymore. They need to be on a managed hunt list.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
It happens all the time in my area of Idaho . NO ONE goes into the woods around here anymore without a side arm . I now carry a 40 cal with 13 round clip and two backup clips . These wolves that the fucking animal rights group have brought into our area are not even the same breed that once roamed our land . These SOB's are huge canadian wolves . They breed like fickin rabbits .
Forget about the feds ever helping control this fucking mess . Its up to sensible people to protect themselves , their families, and their animals from these killers . Wolves kill for sport .

If someone threatened you or you family you would rightly shoot their sorry ass and the law would protect you . Shoot a wolf and the same law will haul your ass to jail and fine you big bucks .

Killem ....... killem all

The 3 s's apply here in this case .

Shoot , Shovel , and Shut up

ncroamer65

The people who came up with "this" regulation, at the time, never
faced a hungery "pack". At one time wolves did need "protection".
Once a anamial is protected no provision is made for control measures.
"Briliant" Knee jerk response.
Along the same line in Ga. 2 coons got into a house and started to eat a sleeping child. One was shot the other "captured" and sent to a lab ???
No they are not protected, I don't man having fangs and claws for
protection. :clap:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Watch out for them Canadians, they are huge and breed like rabbits, and they're hungry too. :whistle: :shifty:

luv2weld

SUPER Site Supporter
If someone threatened you or you family you would rightly shoot their sorry ass and the law would protect you
Better be careful where you are when you pull the trigger!!
In Colorado, we have the "MAKE MY DAY LAW".
But you have to be inside your house when you pull the trigger and the fool on the
other end of the barrel had better be breaking into the house with a weapon.
If you're in the yard and and shoot the bastard for beating the hell out of you
or your family, then you're going to jail.
Ain't politicians and lawyers just wonderful???

And as far as animals go, it's the Rule of the 3 S's.
Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup!!!

Ralph

fubar

Nov. 8, 2010
ANCHORAGE, Alaska —
A wolf attack on a family pet has several Eagle River residents on edge. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game says it may need to kill the wolves to keep both people and pets safe.

The family said their pet went missing on Halloween. The only evidence they found was blood in the snow and wolf prints.

This isn't the first report of wolves attacking pets in the Eagle River-Fort Richardson area.

In 2009, two joggers and three dogs were running on a trail on Fort Richardson when a wolf attacked one of the dogs.

That dog survived, but in 2007, a dog was killed on the same trail while on a walk with his owner.

That same year, Fish and Fame reported wolf attacks on half a dozen dogs in Eagle River.

Fish and Game is working with the military on a plan to kill the wolves. Both agencies have the authority to shoot a wolf in the area if they see it.

“We recognize that the probability of us coming in contact with wolves though is unlikely, so we are working on a plan now with the military joint base Elmendorf-Richardson. We plan to be more aggressive and we'll be happy to, of course, share that with the public once we get that plan up,” said Mark Burch, Fish and Game regional supervisor.

Fish and Game said there are two wolf packs, one on either side of the Glenn Highway. Biologists estimate about six wolves in each pack.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-wolf-attacks-put-eagle-river-r-110810,0,6982565.story

wesley

In the U.P. of Michigan a wildlife official was forced to climb a tree to escape a wolf that was stalking him. I had a wolf walk into the front yard at my deer camp. I had the fire going music on the radio and only the screen door closed. He walked to within 20 feet of the front door then as he was turning to leave my dog saw him through the door and growled at him. He turned back and came up to the door and stood there waiting for us to come out. When we didn't accept his challenge, he finnaly walked off. Lots of people think they are cool but they are very dangerous animals. I keep a rifle with a loaded magazine over the door. I told a retired DNR officer this story and he suggested the three S's. Shoot, shovel and shutup.