• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Milling machine

Cletis

I'm ready to really upgrade my pos drill press. I was thinking a decent milling machine with a really nice table. Although I don't plan on doing a lot of milling. I just want a very tight tolerance table.

I would like to be able to size brass bushings for special king pin applications and some mild steel bearing journals. Would a milling machine be able to do this if you set the bushing in the chuck and the cutting tool on the table?

Anyone have any ideas or maybe even done this?

Cletis

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cletis,

I have a Lagun vertical milling machine here in my shop. The proper way I believe would always be to hold the work stationary and the cutter in the the spindle. Thre are boring heads that are adjustable for mills for just what you discribe. The down feed is powered and you get nice results. You clamp your work on blocks elevating off from the table so the boring head can pass through.

So yes a vetical mill is one of the machines that can do this operation. Just not as you had imagined.

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have an old Bridgeport off a battle ship I use it the same way o clamp the work and you can get fly cutters to mill large surfaces

Cletis

I called Lagun today after I read your replies and basically they tried to talk me into a lathe, not necessarily one of theirs. Go figure.

Cletis

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
???

Yes it can be done in a lathe as well. And I use my lathes more than I do the milll in the shop. Quite a bit more actually. It may actually be the better choice of machine for that reason, it versitilty, and why they suggested you get one first....For a bushing it is the only way to go.

If the piece is irregular in shape on the out side, and you want a presision hole bored through it then the milling machine makes sence....

Regards, Kirk

Last edited: