• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Memorial Day/Weekend ~ not just about picnics

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is my Uncle Al.

He never came home.

Buried in France. He rests with other soldiers at the Lorraine American Cemetery and Memorial, St. Avold, France

He's the only uncle I never got to meet.

Remember on Memorial day. Just take a moment to REMEMBER. Then go have a picnic. But please REMEMBER.

Attachments

• 10156072_10152010824366152_4923979396120706176_n.jpg
    10156072_10152010824366152_4923979396120706176_n.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 120
  • 1517579_10152010824571152_4804217680127160683_n.jpg
    1517579_10152010824571152_4804217680127160683_n.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 115

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i remember & pray as i wake to morning day-to-day. on their allotted day, i'll be at Church, praying, & remembering those that battled w/ my Pap. God rest his soul. bless them.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good reminder Bob. :agree: Last week I was in DC for work. I visited Arlington Cemetery for the first time. A very moving experience for me. I was taken aback by how moving. So many acres filled with tombstones. We took the bus tour and learned some of the history of Arlington. Interesting. Saw the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. Impressive. Arlington is so big and the final resting place for so many fallen, one must still realize that many more of our fallen servicemen and women are buried all across our country, and as Bob pointed out, some are even in France. Thanks to you all. :tiphat: Also visited Iwo Jima

Attachments

• image-897332959.jpg
    image-897332959.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1448648768.jpg
    image-1448648768.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 112
  • image-665956436.jpg
    image-665956436.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 112
  • image-181148157.jpg
    image-181148157.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 113

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
one of my close neighbors that I've known most of my life died last week.91 years he was a pilot ww2 vet . May have been one of the last few who flew a b17. He didn't say much about his service.
one day I asked him if he would like to go see a b17 that was in town. no,i flew one he said. that is how I found out.
his job was flying a c47 cargo but then he got a assignment ferrying the b 17.
he often talked about flying small passenger plane in Alaska after the war . one was the same make as Amelia Earharts .

Leni

I wonder how many know that Arlington, Virginia was the estate of General Robert E. Lee's wife. It was confiscated after the Civil War. It must be a very impressive and moving sight.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We have a national cemetary in Elmira. Every grave gets a flag twice a year. It is still the local scouts who do the flags in our town. We must never forget those who fought for our freedoms.:flowers:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder how many know that Arlington, Virginia was the estate of General Robert E. Lee's wife. It was confiscated after the Civil War. It must be a very impressive and moving sight.
I did not know it was General Lee's property / estate until my tour of Arlington. What a place it must have been. The home/Manson is still standing. We could not see inside it as that part had closed, it was 7pm when we were there.

Attachments

• MemorialDay.jpg
    MemorialDay.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 90

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
A close friend is buried in our local cemetery. He was an F-105 pilot in 'Nam and flew 100 missions over North Vietnam bombing munitions dumps and taking out SAM sites. He could tell some pretty interesting stories w/o any BS. I think of him at least once a month year round.
Mike

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I did not know it was General Lee's property / estate. What a place it must have been. The home/Manson is still standing. We could not see inside it as that part had closed, it was 7pm when we were there.

If that pic doesn't bring a tear to your eye you need help.
Mike

Leni

That picture is forever burned into my memory. That little boy trying so hard to be brave and the soldier trying to comfort him. It should be posted ever Memorial Day so that people remember what this day is all about. And not just here. Everywhere.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I suppose it was due to the holiday, but I awoke around 1:30am yesterday morning with the first panic attack I'd ever had. Unfortunately, my son has already been in several firefights and has found 3 IED's as he lead his men into caves. Those made me very nervous, but never panic. In my dream (nightmare), he was in his rack and a Taliban dressed as an Afghanistan soldier opened fire on them.

I texted him several times and did not get a reply for almost 6 hours. He said his platoon came under fire and took 2 RPG's but no one in under his command was injured and they were able to take two of the attackers alive. Coincidence with my panic attack, or is there some tie between us that we really don't understand and cannot be explained?

Attachments

• IMG_6457.JPG
    IMG_6457.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 64

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I suppose it was due to the holiday, but I awoke around 1:30am yesterday morning with the first panic attack I'd ever had. Unfortunately, my son has already been in several firefights and has found 3 IED's as he lead his men into caves. Those made me very nervous, but never panic. In my dream (nightmare), he was in his rack and a Taliban dressed as an Afghanistan soldier opened fire on them.

I texted him several times and did not get a reply for almost 6 hours. He said his platoon came under fire and took 2 RPG's but no one in under his command was injured and they were able to take two of the attackers alive. Coincidence with my panic attack, or is there some tie between us that we really don't understand and cannot be explained?

If you and Kwai Chang Tsao, a spice merchant in Bejing, sit down with a nice cup of hot tea at precisely the same moment, that is a coincidence. Your dream/panic attack when your son was under fire, was not.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i get panic attacks often. they're so damned scary. (remind yourself that it's a flood of adrenaline. breathe slowly. it'll pass in less than a minute or so.)
(i have a sedative to take to get rid of 'em. that takes a few to set in- {half-hour or so}- very, very effective, tho.)

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
i get panic attacks often. they're so damned scary. (remind yourself that it's a flood of adrenaline. breathe slowly. it'll pass in less than a minute or so.)
(i have a sedative to take to get rid of 'em. that takes a few to set in- {half-hour or so}- very, very effective, tho.)

Sorry to hear. I got up and took a poo and repeated several times. That made me physically feel better, but did nothing for that really odd panic feeling. I literally felt like I needed to load up some select weapons and ammo, don my bullet resistant vest, and get a flight chartered to J-Bad.

For me, that was really an odd sensation. Even if someone yells and screams at me and threatens me, I then become calm and start calculating how I am going to either disable them or hurt them. I never get their intended result of being intimidated and feel panic. No matter. I did NOT like that feeling. I'm glad I eventually heard from my son.

That still really makes me wonder about how I awoke from a sound sleep in a total panic when he was under fire half a world away. Wow! That part still baffles me. I know I have no special abilities or powers. Still, some power far greater than me was somehow at work it seems.