• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mark’s Movie Corner.

Mark1911

GOLD Site Supporter
Do you ever find yourself tired of the seemingly constant flow regurgitated movie offerings at the box office? Avengers End, End, End game (and this time we mean it), Spider-Man 17, the latest Disney butchery of the Star Wars franchise, Fast and Furious 15, and on and on....

Well then you’ve come to the right place. I watch a lot of movies - some good, some bad, many “ok”, and a few great. My focus in this thread will be to primarily spotlight some great movies, with an emphasis on “off the beaten path” films that you may not have heard of.

Commentary is welcome (and encouraged), just be respectful and remember - we all have our own tastes. Here’s to hoping that my own may align with some of yours.

My maiden offering is the 1999 Mel Gibson film Payback.

This film is a delightful mix of crime, drama, sardonic humor and suspense. Aside from the masterful story, the most intriguing feature of this film is it’s cinematography. It is shot in a muted, almost sepia style that reinforces the mood of the film. Outstanding supporting performances from William Devane (Interstellar, Dark Knight Rises), Kris Kristofferson (Blade) and Lucy Liu (Kill Bill) round out this gem of a film, that has a nice twist.

9F0E66CD-159E-4257-A2BC-C62DFE10C796.thumb.jpeg.e30d98f489e05631c0a6b5052214c599.jpeg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Mark. Next time I'm looking to watch a flick I'll give Payback a shot. Sounds good.

Look forward to more. :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good thread Mark.
Going forward & if possible/practical, would you be able to include where the movie(s) can be watched (e.g. Prime, Netflix, Hulu...)

Mark1911

GOLD Site Supporter
Another of my favorite off-beat Mel Gibson films is Get The Gringo. This movie is part drama, part action flick, with a healthy dose of dark comedy, and just a splash of love story.

I‘m not usually a fan of narration (it’s usually a crutch to fill-in plot gaps in a troublesome script), but Mel’s narration in this film is sardonic smart-assery that is at times laugh out loud funny. The story is a fun ride, and a twist at the end is the icing on the cake.

And the sound track is wonderful!

43156A36-62C6-42C7-B08F-2A149A2320FF.jpeg.e4bcf494034fa95d45a47e7d56ff4194.jpeg

Mark1911

GOLD Site Supporter
Not necessarily "off the beaten path", but this film did not receive anywhere NEAR the play it deserves. The film is Hell Or High Water, starring Ben Foster, Chris Pine and a straight-up Oscar worthy performance by Jeff Bridges. It is difficult to speak to much of the plot without divulging spoilers - and while the central premise of the film is a series of bank robberies, it is in no way accurate to term it a "bank robber" movie. The story is rich and rewarding, and the full scope of the plot is given in a steady, but measured pace that is ultimately very satisfying. Perhaps the most endearing part of the film is the relationship between Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham who play partners in the Texas Ranger (Law enforcement) organization. Their dialogue is laid-back yet razor sharp, and a joy to behold - on a separate note, this film may soon be "cancelled" in light of the current culture sweeping the country. The film also paints a stark picture of life in poverty-stricken West Texas, - In fact, the hardship of life in a small West Texas town is a character in the movie, right along with the actors.

Overall a touching film about friendship and family that is well worth your time.
hell.JPG.fa323f4fe60eab6a339d8069f3828884.JPG