• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for Muskeg carrier Manuals or help

bjcdriller

I have a muskeg carrier with front mounted diesel and final drives. Have a soil drilling rig mounted on the carrier. Lost my ability to turn right last week. Got into the differential housing to see that I have some of the sprockets missing teeth. I have been running these machines for many years but never had to get this deep into them for repairs. I think I may know how to get the differential out but I'm not exactly positive. I've seen posts about taking off the final drive covers and pushing the axles through the differential but i would rather know for sure how to do this job. I cant find anything online for a service manual. I am hoping that someone knows where I can find the service manual or would be willing to share some knowledge on how I go about getting this differential out. Winter is coming and I am in serious need of having this machine back up and running.
Thank you in advance for any help.

J5 Bombardier

Welcome to the forum , I'm sure you'll find what you need here. Post some pics of your Muskeg and it's problems and maybe we can back on track.
J5 Bombardier

bjcdriller

Thanks for your reply. I read your post on your rebuild of the j5 which is what really got me to join this forum page. Really looks like your know your stuff and your work is outstanding. I've posted a couple pics. One of my drill rig on the muskeg carrier and the other is of my differential. In the diff picture the red circled area is where I have some broken sprockets (been told they are called sun gears?) The purple circles are the shaft I'm not sure how to get out. I'm hoping to be able to do this project with out having to remove my tracks if that's possible. I know once I get the shafts out I have to back off the threaded bushing that house the bearings and it should come out. Just having troubles on how I get out the shafts that go to the final drive.
20211011_130350.jpg
20211011_130434.jpg

J5 Bombardier

Your final drives have plates covering the axle shafts going into the diff. The axles are threaded for a pulling bolt if needed, rocking the input yoke should allow the shafts to slide out. Good time to drain and refill the final drives, plugs top and bottom . J5 Bombardier