• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking at a used tractor; bucket loader& backhoe.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So far I'm concentrating on diesel and domestic origin. I could use four wheel drive on my hills but not required. Generally, I will not be dozing just hauling gravel and digging culverts.

JD 310 is on my list or a Case 500 diesel.

I have a Case 360 dozer with aback hoe but it has not been started for four years.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not very familiar with the Case but around here, there's a lot of JD 310's. They seem to run forever.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like it's in pretty good shape by the hours on it. You're probably well aware of this but I'll say it any way, grease is the cheapest maintenance item you can buy. If you have a pin that won't take grease remove the zerk and run a small drill bit in your drill around the bottom of the hole and you may have to have someone work that joint while you keep the pressure on it. If that doesn't work then heat up the boss that rotates around the pin and try working it with the pressure on the zerk again. HTH.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like it's in pretty good shape by the hours on it. You're probably well aware of this but I'll say it any way, grease is the cheapest maintenance item you can buy. If you have a pin that won't take grease remove the zerk and run a small drill bit in your drill around the bottom of the hole and you may have to have someone work that joint while you keep the pressure on it. If that doesn't work then heat up the boss that rotates around the pin and try working it with the pressure on the zerk again. HTH.
Thanks. I keep a box of Zerks in the shop. 45%, 90% and straight. Always replacing them when they clog up. Good lubrication always contributes to a more harmonious outcome.

I neglected to check the specs on this baby before I bought it. It weighs in a 13,300 lbs. My Trailer is rated at 10,000 pounds of payload.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I hate to sound selfish,Franc, but that will be a good excuse to not loan it out. If they ask to road it tell them asphalt/concrete is too hard on the rear tires.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Good advice comes down over the years in many ways but basically saying the same thing. One of the things that my wise old dad drummed in to me when I was a kid and a young man was that, "Grease is cheap son, don't skimp on it". It's a lesson that I learned well.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I spoke with the seller this evening. He tells me the unit weighs in at about 11,000 lbs. That is only 1,000 lbs over my trailer capacity.

I can put the two buckets in the back of the Dodge and be just barely overweight. Put the unit forward and weigh the tongue a bit. I'll be fine.

Tires are good on the trailer and I have 3 spares. I'll over pressure them and keep it under 65 MPH. 5 hours tops on the interstate. It's cold outside, so there should be no issues.

Mla2ofus has good advice. I won't be "loaning" this puppy to anyone but my one Ozark neighbor Jolly.. We share everything but our wives.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a JD two wheel drive and did not like to use the loader bucket because as soon a you lift it unloads the rear wheels and you don't get much push into the pile. Sold it and got a four wheel Case. Night and day difference. Lifting the bucket loads the front axle and gives good traction. Most of the use is in the rock pit, which may be harder loading than what you do. The best thing I did for it was to install an Amulet mechanical thumb. No hydraulics needed. It opens and closes when you curl the bucket. Great for loading big rock and picks up logs. Fire wood cutting is much easier. Grab a log, raise about four feet off the ground, cut with chain saw. With two people, you can even cut sos the blocks drop into the pickup or trailer.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I spoke with the seller this evening. He tells me the unit weighs in at about 11,000 lbs. That is only 1,000 lbs over my trailer capacity.

I can put the two buckets in the back of the Dodge and be just barely overweight. Put the unit forward and weigh the tongue a bit. I'll be fine.

Tires are good on the trailer and I have 3 spares. I'll over pressure them and keep it under 65 MPH. 5 hours tops on the interstate. It's cold outside, so there should be no issues.

Mla2ofus has good advice. I won't be "loaning" this puppy to anyone but my one Ozark neighbor Jolly.. We share everything but our wives.
You will make it, damn nice tractor Franc

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have some older tires on the trailer which give me some concern. However, My son had purchased four 12 ply tires for the trailer with 3,300 lb rating last year. I forgot they were in the warehouse. Today they go on the trailer which will give me 13,200 lbs total capacity. Plus the comfort of knowing the tires are brand new.

I have a new10,000 lb tow bar with a 2 5/8" ball, so I'm as beefy as one can be on bumper pull. Cathy will follow in the old '99 Dodge minivan which except for the rocker panels runs, looks, and drives as new. Interstate most of the way.

The only issue now is the seller. He is a private seller but, surprised us with a Sales tax bill over $600.00 I'll likely use my company's tax exemption but just the fact that he didn't have it in the original invoicing/deal bothers me. I've done Flea-Bays where the dealer had "documentation" charges that were never specified, and seemed obvious attempts to improve margins or squash the deal.
Any bull sh!t, I walk away.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I have some older tires on the trailer which give me some concern. However, My son had purchased four 12 ply tires for the trailer with 3,300 lb rating last year. I forgot they were in the warehouse. Today they go on the trailer which will give me 13,200 lbs total capacity. Plus the comfort of knowing the tires are brand new.

I have a new10,000 lb tow bar with a 2 5/8" ball, so I'm as beefy as one can be on bumper pull. Cathy will follow in the old '99 Dodge minivan which except for the rocker panels runs, looks, and drives as new. Interstate most of the way.

The only issue now is the seller. He is a private seller but, surprised us with a Sales tax bill over $600.00 I'll likely use my company's tax exemption but just the fact that he didn't have it in the original invoicing/deal bothers me. I've done Flea-Bays where the dealer had "documentation" charges that were never specified, and seemed obvious attempts to improve margins or squash the deal.
Any bull sh!t, I walk away.
How does an individual pay sales tax the state? out here you have a resale # , you might want to politely ask for the documentation, you could be paying for a night out on the town for the seller.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, I would definitely NOT be paying that tax. Sounds like he's trying to scam you.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
As it happens, Indiana has some really tight sales tax laws. No way around it even though we have a tax exempt document that works in most states. This tractor is not a farm implement but a construction unit. The wife researched it quite thoroughly. So, once the unit checked out otherwise, we paid it.

Now all I have to do is find a trailer that will haul it. Mine won't. I need 14K capacity and a 24 four foot by 84"wide load deck. Bumper pull. kinda rare but they are out there. I have found new ones around $6,000. I'm hoping to run across one used.