• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

loader tractor

baldy347

I have an old [1948] Allis WD with an Allis loader-it's worn out,it's clumsy and I'd like to replace it. Something with power steering,good brakes in the 50 to 60 HP range and easy to get on & off,cause I'm getting clumsy too.
Any recommendations ?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you looking for a new tractor or a used but newer tractor?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd look for a late-80's or newer Kubota. Its tough to beat those machines. Kubota brought in thousands of small tractor loaders and really defined the gentleman farmer market with their machines. But I'd be looking for 15 to 20 hp!!! You'll be astounded how capable the modern compact tractors are with only modest amounts of HP.

I'd probably stay away from the 'grey market' imports. Not to say they are not capable, but unless you have parts support and willing to tinker to maintain it it may be more trouble than its worth. Plenty of people own them and swear by them. But finding exactly what you want may be harder.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd probably stay away from the 'grey market' imports. Not to say they are not capable, but unless you have parts support and willing to tinker to maintain it it may be more trouble than its worth. Plenty of people own them and swear by them. But finding exactly what you want may be harder.
Having owned several grey market tractors and still having two, I have to agree with MD. They are great tractors, much cheaper then the big name brands, tough as nails, but if and when you need parts it sure can be upsetting. :sad:

I just got a quote for a shuttle shift cable for my Iseki from Japan for $386.00 , its nothing fancy and is only 12 inches long, but I haven't had any luck finding one that will work let alone anyone that can "or will" build one like it. :doh: I found that cutting a slot in the floor and building a handle to shift it manually is a little bit more of a PITA but its getting me by. :biggrin:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Having owned several grey market tractors and still having two, I have to agree with MD. They are great tractors, much cheaper then the big name brands, tough as nails, but if and when you need parts it sure can be upsetting. :sad:

I just got a quote for a shuttle shift cable for my Iseki from Japan for $386.00 , its nothing fancy and is only 12 inches long, but I haven't had any luck finding one that will work let alone anyone that can "or will" build one like it. :doh: I found that cutting a slot in the floor and building a handle to shift it manually is a little bit more of a PITA but its getting me by. :biggrin:

If you need a custom cable these guys should be able to help . I have used them on my snowcat . They can make anything ! push-pull.com

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
If you need a custom cable these guys should be able to help . I have used them on my snowcat . They can make anything ! push-pull.com
Thanks Al , I remembered you posting that awhile back but couldn't find the thread. Much appreciated. :biggrin:

baldy347

Had something like Ford 4000 or IH 450 utility in mind-much cheaper than newer compact. Awfully muddy here and need the weight.

Trakternut

I understand what you're thinking, Baldy. However, a 20-odd hp Kubota can be had with front-wheel-assist which is superior to any sized 2 WD drive tractor in muddy conditions, especially when doing loader work. Do some online searching and you can find a nice used 'Bota for about the same price as the tractors you mentioned. Highly manuverable, and real fuel sippers.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you don't mind sharing the price you had in mind maybe we could help find you a tractor.

baldy347

In guess i should qualify some of my need for this loader. Many of my projects are simply too big for a compact tractor, it's not unusual to need to move 1500# to 2000# at a time. I just don't trust a compact tractor with that load in my location.
Many thanks,wayne

baldy347

Guess I was looking more for opinions as to which brands and models-your likes and dislikes,lifting capabilities,traction and how difficult to get on or off. Need to buy locally as transportation cost could easily surpass purchase price.
many thanks,wayne

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I use an old municipal John Deere 401c with a big old counterweight and loaded tires around here. I dumped the R4 tires for tractor lugs and it gets around good now. It will easily lift the weights you are talking about.