• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

LMC 3700C Range Selector

pjflyer

Hi all, new to this forum and new to snowcats. I came across a good deal on an LMC-3700C, so I bought it. It needs work on several things, but runs great, tracks are in fair condition and hydraulics seem good. It has a plow on the front, but no tiller or attachment on the rear, at this time I don't need that anyway. Mouse nests under the seat, in the air filter, inside the heater box, and a few other places. They also decided to chew on quite a few wires on the instrument panel. I've rewired that and starting to trace wiring in the cab and the rest of the machine. Electrical wiring is an issue but I'm working through it.

I have a manual which helps quite a bit, but I can't find any detailed information on the what is involved in the range selection. If anyone knows how this functions please let me know. I have traced 2 wires from solenoids in the rear (solenoids attached to a hydraulic distribution box) to the D-handle range selector switch. There are several lines attached to the distribution box and 2 of them have solenoids plumbed in them. I traced these wires to a momentary on/off push button on the D-handle, and switch on the instrument panel labeled "3 speed lock". Do these solenoids have anything to do with the mid-high range? Do you select mid or high range with the mid/high range switch and then engage the "lock" switch to keep it in that range? I can't find any reference of how "high speed" or "three speed" lock works, or what it does. I'm including pictures of the distribution box, the picture of my 2 fingers are the solenoids that are controlled by the D-handle range selector switch. The 2 pictures with just 1 finger are the other 2 solenoids plumbed in line controlled by the push button on/off on the D-handle, and the 3 speed lock on the dash. The other pictures are just to help someone identify what part I'm looking at.

One more thing on the solenoids, I get continuity with a multimeter and when I connected power to them I got a spark, but no click you normally hear when a solenoid is activated. This is without it running. I don't know if it needs flow through the box to function or maybe the fluid is thick because of the temp (20's F).

I can't start it right now. I removed a hydraulic line that was bad - so I have to make a new one, a bad hydraulic cylinder I'm waiting for the seals to fix, still working on the instrument panel and tracing wires, and I have it under a lean-to with it the sides tarped to keep the snow out. So I'll have to wait to do a running test.

I would be grateful for any info on this!!

Attachments

• DSCN1888.JPG
    DSCN1888.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN1889.JPG
    DSCN1889.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN1890.JPG
    DSCN1890.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN1891.JPG
    DSCN1891.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN1892.JPG
    DSCN1892.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN1893.JPG
    DSCN1893.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN1894.JPG
    DSCN1894.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN1895.JPG
    DSCN1895.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN1896.JPG
    DSCN1896.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN1897.JPG
    DSCN1897.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 101

pjflyer

Thanks for the welcome!

Update: I have repaired the hydraulic line and replaced it. I also received the seals for the cylinder and have that back together and on. I took out the four solenoids and checked them. Turned out they were stuck in place and needed a little push to break them free. They checked out after that. Still working on wiring, but getting closer. If no one responds that has any knowledge on the range selector function, I can take it out and try it to see if I can figure it out by trial and error. It seems like work goes a bit slower when the daily high is in the teens, maybe a 20 on a good day!

pjflyer

Update: I have finished the wiring as best as I can. I have power to the range selector solenoids, but the configuration of which are powered by which switches is confusing. I don't know if there has been a system mod on this or what. The switch in the D-handle was missing. I tinned some wires to fit into the circuit board and routed them to a DPDT switch I mounted on the console. I found a replacement for the missing switch, but it's a 15 week wait to get.

If all goes well, I will start it up tomorrow and see what I get. I will take some pictures of it once it's out and post them. I have to get it over to the pole barn where the welder is to add some reinforcement to the floor panel. It is rusted out in the front of the cab almost all the way across. I'm also going to weld some pipe on the bottom of the plow blade. I don't need the cutting edge on it for what I'll be doing with it.

pjflyer

I got it together enough to take a short test drive to see if I have any other issues to address. It seem to do pretty good. I didn't try mid or high range or anything daring. We're getting cold and snow and didn't want to chance having something go wrong that I couldn't get it back under cover. I didn't get to the welding today due to having to take care of some firewood and a few other things that came up. I did take some pictures that I'll post. I don't have the wings on the plow yet, it barely fits in the space as is. It's not pretty, but the price was right. We've got single digit highs coming for a few days, so it'll be a while before I get a chance to work on it.

Attachments

• DSCN1914.JPG
    DSCN1914.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN1915.JPG
    DSCN1915.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN1916.JPG
    DSCN1916.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN1917.JPG
    DSCN1917.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN1918.JPG
    DSCN1918.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN1919.JPG
    DSCN1919.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN1920.JPG
    DSCN1920.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN1921.JPG
    DSCN1921.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN1922.JPG
    DSCN1922.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: PJL

pjflyer

I was able to work on it this week, I've done about as much as I can for now. I was able to drive it around the field a few times. It seems like the range control is a combination of the switch and the push button. I believe it is working though. I will have to try it out again when I have more time to write down what the different switch combo gives me. Here are some pics...

Attachments

• DSCN1925.JPG
    DSCN1925.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN1926.JPG
    DSCN1926.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN1927.JPG
    DSCN1927.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN1928.JPG
    DSCN1928.JPG